+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 110
  1. #81
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,055
    Thanks
    2,306
    Thanked
    1,387
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    That sounds like the salary of a doctor still in training eg Resident / Intern / Registrar.

    Fully qualified doctors earn much more than that.
    I'm glad to hear.

  2. #82
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    4,663
    Thanks
    1,961
    Thanked
    2,567
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    The ad I saw was $130k.
    A vet degree is now 6 years and you are required to learn about every animal and perform a huge number of tasks that in the human medical world would encompass 29+ jobs. The award salary for a vet as a new grad is about $55K. I have been out over 10 years and haven't made it to a 6 figure salary. I would love $130K a year.

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,369
    Thanks
    2,571
    Thanked
    3,783
    Reviews
    7
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    A vet degree is now 6 years and you are required to learn about every animal and perform a huge number of tasks that in the human medical world would encompass 29+ jobs. The award salary for a vet as a new grad is about $55K. I have been out over 10 years and haven't made it to a 6 figure salary. I would love $130K a year.
    I'm amazed to hear that when it is sooo expensive to take a pet to the vet! Clearly it's not due to the vets being paid ridiculously well!

  4. #84
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    4,663
    Thanks
    1,961
    Thanked
    2,567
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    I'm amazed to hear that when it is sooo expensive to take a pet to the vet! Clearly it's not due to the vets being paid ridiculously well!
    Nope. It's due to the overheads like rent, power, phones, vehicle costs, equipment costs, maintenance of equipment, saving for new equipment, computer programs, subscriptions, continuing education, wages for support staff - it's nothing to have more support staff than vets, and the fact that we get no government subsidies.

    Research over many years shows that the average profit of the veterinary business is about 5% which is way below other businesses.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

    Waggers70  (24-08-2016)

  6. #85
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,055
    Thanks
    2,306
    Thanked
    1,387
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    A vet degree is now 6 years and you are required to learn about every animal and perform a huge number of tasks that in the human medical world would encompass 29+ jobs. The award salary for a vet as a new grad is about $55K. I have been out over 10 years and haven't made it to a 6 figure salary. I would love $130K a year.
    That's terrible!!! 😳

  7. #86
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    on a sandy beach!
    Posts
    6,329
    Thanks
    336
    Thanked
    2,197
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    Nope. It's due to the overheads like rent, power, phones, vehicle costs, equipment costs, maintenance of equipment, saving for new equipment, computer programs, subscriptions, continuing education, wages for support staff - it's nothing to have more support staff than vets, and the fact that we get no government subsidies.

    Research over many years shows that the average profit of the veterinary business is about 5% which is way below other businesses.
    That's awful I took our dog to emergency vet last night cost $380 for eye drops 😱😱 who knew dogs had three eye lids NOT ME!!!!!

  8. #87
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    4,663
    Thanks
    1,961
    Thanked
    2,567
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    That's awful I took our dog to emergency vet last night cost $380 for eye drops who knew dogs had three eye lids NOT ME!!!!!
    It didn't cost you $380 for eye drops.

    It cost you $380 to have your dog assessed and a problem diagnosed in an emergency centre with as much equipment as some human hospitals. Your eye drops probably only cost $20-50.

    To have an emergency Caesarian in my local human hospital was approx $15,000 3 years ago - that was surgery only. That same year an emergency Caesarian on a dog on Christmas Day was about $1000.

  9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

    babyno1onboard  (23-08-2016),rosey82  (23-08-2016),Waggers70  (24-08-2016)

  10. #88
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    on a sandy beach!
    Posts
    6,329
    Thanks
    336
    Thanked
    2,197
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    It didn't cost you $380 for eye drops.

    It cost you $380 to have your dog assessed and a problem diagnosed in an emergency centre with as much equipment as some human hospitals. Your eye drops probably only cost $20-50.

    To have an emergency Caesarian in my local human hospital was approx $15,000 3 years ago - that was surgery only. That same year an emergency Caesarian on a dog on Christmas Day was about $1000.
    No it was $180 for drops then they found a tumor too which is causing the issue. Im all for vets I don't care about paying I'll always pay for vets/doctors lol.

  11. #89
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    4,663
    Thanks
    1,961
    Thanked
    2,567
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    No it was $180 for drops then they found a tumor too which is causing the issue. Im all for vets I don't care about paying I'll always pay for vets/doctors lol.
    $200 for an after hours consult is pretty good. $180 for drops seems like a lot but most of the eye drops I used to prescribe were for conjunctivitis and cost $20. Hope they can remove the tumour for you.

  12. #90
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,146
    Thanks
    449
    Thanked
    490
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    No it was $180 for drops then they found a tumor too which is causing the issue. Im all for vets I don't care about paying I'll always pay for vets/doctors lol.
    Poor doggie. Feel for you hope but $180 for drops is nuts and I wouldn't be surprised if they are the same as the conjunctivitis ones that cost $17 over the counter.

    My late pooch went to the vet last year. $1400 later for an ultrasound (that was $400) band IV for 2 hours & the nasty needle to put her down. All in total she was at the vet for 9 hours but they didn't do anything to her til 4pm and we dropped her off at 8am. She was misdiagnosed and laid there all day in pain by a stupid vet at the clinic


 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 23-01-2016, 01:30
  2. "Skin colour" pencils/crayons & teaching diversity
    By Lilahh in forum General Chat
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 28-08-2015, 08:39

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Pyjamas.com.au
With so many gorgeous brands and styles for every season, our pyjamas, nighties, robes, sleepsuits and sleeping bags are lovely for lights out and perfect for lazy days. Get 10% off first order using code bubhub. Be quick offer ends 31/12/16.
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!