+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    That sounds like the salary of a doctor still in training eg Resident / Intern / Registrar.

Fully qualified doctors earn much more than that.
    I'm glad to hear.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    The ad I saw was $130k.
    A vet degree is now 6 years and you are required to learn about every animal and perform a huge number of tasks that in the human medical world would encompass 29+ jobs. The award salary for a vet as a new grad is about $55K. I have been out over 10 years and haven't made it to a 6 figure salary. I would love $130K a year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    A vet degree is now 6 years and you are required to learn about every animal and perform a huge number of tasks that in the human medical world would encompass 29+ jobs. The award salary for a vet as a new grad is about $55K. I have been out over 10 years and haven't made it to a 6 figure salary. I would love $130K a year.
    I'm amazed to hear that when it is sooo expensive to take a pet to the vet! Clearly it's not due to the vets being paid ridiculously well!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    I'm amazed to hear that when it is sooo expensive to take a pet to the vet! Clearly it's not due to the vets being paid ridiculously well!
    Nope. It's due to the overheads like rent, power, phones, vehicle costs, equipment costs, maintenance of equipment, saving for new equipment, computer programs, subscriptions, continuing education, wages for support staff - it's nothing to have more support staff than vets, and the fact that we get no government subsidies.

Research over many years shows that the average profit of the veterinary business is about 5% which is way below other businesses.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

Waggers70  (24-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's terrible!!! 😳

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Nope. It's due to the overheads like rent, power, phones, vehicle costs, equipment costs, maintenance of equipment, saving for new equipment, computer programs, subscriptions, continuing education, wages for support staff - it's nothing to have more support staff than vets, and the fact that we get no government subsidies.

Research over many years shows that the average profit of the veterinary business is about 5% which is way below other businesses.
    That's awful I took our dog to emergency vet last night cost $380 for eye drops 😱😱 who knew dogs had three eye lids NOT ME!!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    That's awful I took our dog to emergency vet last night cost $380 for eye drops who knew dogs had three eye lids NOT ME!!!!!
    It didn't cost you $380 for eye drops.

It cost you $380 to have your dog assessed and a problem diagnosed in an emergency centre with as much equipment as some human hospitals. Your eye drops probably only cost $20-50.

To have an emergency Caesarian in my local human hospital was approx $15,000 3 years ago - that was surgery only. That same year an emergency Caesarian on a dog on Christmas Day was about $1000.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (23-08-2016),rosey82  (23-08-2016),Waggers70  (24-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It didn't cost you $380 for eye drops.

It cost you $380 to have your dog assessed and a problem diagnosed in an emergency centre with as much equipment as some human hospitals. Your eye drops probably only cost $20-50.

To have an emergency Caesarian in my local human hospital was approx $15,000 3 years ago - that was surgery only. That same year an emergency Caesarian on a dog on Christmas Day was about $1000.
    No it was $180 for drops then they found a tumor too which is causing the issue. Im all for vets I don't care about paying I'll always pay for vets/doctors lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No it was $180 for drops then they found a tumor too which is causing the issue. Im all for vets I don't care about paying I'll always pay for vets/doctors lol.
    $200 for an after hours consult is pretty good. $180 for drops seems like a lot but most of the eye drops I used to prescribe were for conjunctivitis and cost $20. Hope they can remove the tumour for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Poor doggie. Feel for you hope but $180 for drops is nuts and I wouldn't be surprised if they are the same as the conjunctivitis ones that cost $17 over the counter.

My late pooch went to the vet last year. $1400 later for an ultrasound (that was $400) band IV for 2 hours & the nasty needle to put her down. All in total she was at the vet for 9 hours but they didn't do anything to her til 4pm and we dropped her off at 8am. She was misdiagnosed and laid there all day in pain by a stupid vet at the clinic