+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Choosing a school for my son

Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    Those saying 4.5 years old, just to clarify, are you saying a child who is between 4 and 10/11 months the day they start is still 4.5 or 5?
    In WA, kids start kindy (2-3 days per week) at the start of the year they turn 4.5. So the kids will be aged between 3 years 7 months (for kids with June birthdays) to 4 years 6 months (for kids with July birthdays).

Edit to add that in WA as well, kindy classes are capped at 20 students and there are always at least 2 adults in the room, sometimes more if there are any children with disabilities in the class.
    Last edited by besha; 29-08-2016 at 07:38.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    I see all the responses about 4.5 bring relevant in July cut off States, but SA is different that it's end of April cut off.

So, not that it will make a difference to me sending her next year or not, but DD will start school on 29 January 2017 and she turns 5 in the first week of March. So she will turn 5 half way through term 1.

Would people deem her to be 4.5 or 5 (given she is neither) when she starts - and therefore 'too early' to start or the right time?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    I see all the responses about 4.5 bring relevant in July cut off States, but SA is different that it's end of April cut off.

So, not that it will make a difference to me sending her next year or not, but DD will start school on 29 January 2017 and she turns 5 in the first week of March. So she will turn 5 half way through term 1.

Would people deem her to be 4.5 or 5 (given she is neither) when she starts - and therefore 'too early' to start or the right time?
    I would say she is 4 years 10 months. Kids with birthdays jan-Apr in SA can choose to start their child the year they are 4 turning 5, or the following year when they are 5 turning 6. It's a tough time of year to have birthdays, & I dont think there is a blanket 'too early' or 'holding back' - both are a valid choice depending on the readiness of the child.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (29-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misho View Post
    Our Sydney Catholic school does but the catholic school my best friend teaches at does not. She has one TA to share between 2 classes with 32 kids in each class
    How many kids in your child's year 1 class?

I assumed you were at a public school.

I've got friends whose children go to catholic schools in St George area and the class sizes are massive (between 32-35) and mountains of homework from kindy.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

misho  (02-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    How many kids in your child's year 1 class?

I assumed you were at a public school.

I've got friends whose children go to catholic schools in St George area and the class sizes are massive (between 32-35) and mountains of homework from kindy.
    32 I think.

The school I wanted him to get into has 35 in each year!!

Homework hasn't been too bad coz he's been doing reading recovery, and now that RR is over it's usually just sight words or mathletics.

Parent helpers are required most days for reading groups.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misho View Post
    32 I think.

The school I wanted him to get into has 35 in each year!!

Homework hasn't been too bad coz he's been doing reading recovery, and now that RR is over it's usually just sight words or mathletics.

Parent helpers are required most days for reading groups.
    Yeh see that is huge

NSW public school kindy classes are capped at 20. Year 1 is 22, year 2 is 24. I think that makes a huge difference.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh dear lord the thought of trying to effectively teach 35 kindergarten children frightens the crap out of me when I've taught kindy I've had 18-20 max and that's plenty!! You couldn't possibly do L3 with 35 kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In SA, particularly public schools,we seem to have larger classes than other states. Its not uncommon to have up to 32 in prep with one teacher, with a teachers aide maybe an hour a day if you're lucky. It would be considered quite a small class if they were under 26 & you would be considered a VERY lucky teacher if you only had 24 kids or less! This is true in the area I live in, anyway. One reason why my kids are in a private school!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    In SA, particularly public schools,we seem to have larger classes than other states. Its not uncommon to have up to 32 in prep with one teacher, with a teachers aide maybe an hour a day if you're lucky. It would be considered quite a small class if they were under 26 & you would be considered a VERY lucky teacher if you only had 24 kids or less! This is true in the area I live in, anyway. One reason why my kids are in a private school!
    That's crazy! Thankfully we live in NSW Class sizes don't get over 30 in our school until year 5 and 6 and even then it's avoided at all costs. My kids had 15 and 18 in their kinder classes. Our local private has 30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    That's crazy! Thankfully we live in NSW Class sizes don't get over 30 in our school until year 5 and 6 and even then it's avoided at all costs. My kids had 15 and 18 in their kinder classes. Our local private has 30.
    It's funny how much it differs between states. Here, one of the (many) reasons I am using private school is because my DD has 18 kids in her prep class, & my local zoned public school has 28 -30 in each of the 3 prep classes. It seems strange to me that other states have larger classes in the private schools than the public schools, just because it's the opposite of what we have.