+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Literacy performance has gone through the roof since our school implemented L3. I did placement in a JollyPhonics primary and prefer L3
    I love L3 but that's because I'm a trained Reading Recovery teacher. Our reading results have gone through the roof since we implemented L3. We are currently trying to have it for K-2 rather than just K-1. We do Reading to Learn from year 2 onwards and it just isn't explicit enough in its reading instruction for my liking. Great for your average and brighter kids and useless for your strugglers.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chippa For This Useful Post:

delirium  (28-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Choosing a school for my son

Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Not prep as in pre school ( they do no sight words at 4 year old pre school ) but kindergarten ( NSW first year of primary school) DS learnt 250 sight words by June but they do them at the boys pace and they have tons of play time , sport and outside time ( we are an IB school as well ) and they do music and language
    250 sight words for a 5 year old? All power to them but it wouldn't have worked for my son. My girls yes but not my son. He spends far too much time pretending to be a pirate to learn that many words.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (28-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    250 sight words for a 5 year old? All power to them but it wouldn't have worked for my son. My girls yes but not my son. He spends far too much time pretending to be a pirate to learn that many words.
    Some boys are only up to about 100 but it's child led so they go as fast as they want too which I like as DS is a sponge at this age and loves learning , we are lucky we have a full time teachers aid in a class of 19 so they have a lot of support

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Some boys are only up to about 100 but it's child led so they go as fast as they want too which I like as DS is a sponge at this age and loves learning , we are lucky we have a full time teachers aid in a class of 19 so they have a lot of support
    My son would be lucky to be at 40. To be honest I wouldn't have a clue. We do his reader but I don't do sight words at home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippa View Post
    I love L3 but that's because I'm a trained Reading Recovery teacher. Our reading results have gone through the roof since we implemented L3. We are currently trying to have it for K-2 rather than just K-1. We do Reading to Learn from year 2 onwards and it just isn't explicit enough in its reading instruction for my liking. Great for your average and brighter kids and useless for your strugglers.
    We are one of the pilot early action for success schools. Our current year 3 students are the first in our school to have L3 since they started school. This year we had the number of year 3 students at proficiency in reading double. I know not to place too much emphasis on NAPLAN, but that is quite impressive.

We have L3 for K-2 at my school and at my children's school. I'm in the middle of doing my stage 1 L3 training. I've touched a bit on kindy L3 for guided writing and interactive writing and some red level reading.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (29-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Choosing a school for my son

Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Literacy performance has gone through the roof since our school implemented L3. I did placement in a JollyPhonics primary and prefer L3
    Yes, same as at my children's school too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by misho View Post
    So why does it differ so much between schools in Sydney?

Genuine question. I have no experience with this.
    Honestly, I think it depends a lot on the expectations of parents and the school itself. I'd guess that the schools that expect their children to be learning a lot of sight words would be high income and highly educated areas.

I think it also depends on the school's plan/goals.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Sonja  (28-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    In SA, I've not worked in a school with such a huge focus on sight words. We've always used more of a phonics-based approach, with some high-frequency words to complement the phonics curriculum.

And in regards to WA bullying the parents into starting school too young - great that they've lowered the curriculum expectations to account for the fact that the kids are younger. The thing I disagree with is basically FORCING parents to start their kids in full time school at 4.5 years old,and not letting them wait until the child is 5.5, even if the child isn't ready. My 2nd is starting preschool 2 days per week next year. She will be 4.5. She is bright and capable, but socially and emotionally,there is NO WAY she would have been ready to be in school for 5 full days at 4.5y.o, or in preschool for 2 days at age 3.5, no matter how play based the curriculum is. That's where the individual needs of the child (socially,emotionally and cognitively) should be taken into account,rather than forcing kids into school too early, when Australian law only dictates they need to be in school by age 6. This is what I disagree with. As a mother AND as a prep teacher.
    Last edited by cheeeeesecake; 28-08-2016 at 21:30.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

ClaireI  (30-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm so confused with words people are using I'm a bit far behind with intelligence 😁 L3 etc!? What on earth is this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Those saying 4.5 years old, just to clarify, are you saying a child who is between 4 and 10/11 months the day they start is still 4.5 or 5?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast