+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Seriously? Prep kids in NSW learn 150 sight words? Jeez my son would be lucky to know 40. His school doesn't push the kids at all. Every 15 minutes the boys are sent outside for play as they acknowledge boys struggle to sit still for much longer at 5 years of age.

I love my sons school.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

misho  (28-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippa View Post
    Are you referring to L3 @BigRedV?
    Yes.

I love it.

We are more than likely moving in12 months and I've told my husband we are not moving to a school that doesn't do L3. So far I've only found one school in the areas we are looking that implement L3

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (28-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Seriously? Prep kids in NSW learn 150 sight words? Jeez my son would be lucky to know 40. His school doesn't push the kids at all. Every 15 minutes the boys are sent outside for play as they acknowledge boys struggle to sit still for much longer at 5 years of age.

I love my sons school.
    Not every school. Certainly not my children's school or the school I work at.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Sonja  (28-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter's pre-primary class only started having readers sent home this term (term 3) and have only had 10 sight words to learn so far. So it sounds very different to other states and very possibly the reason they can support younger children.
    I also love the fact that pre-Kindy (3yo) and Kindy (4yo) are in the classroom next door to pre-primary and do some activities (singing etc) with the pre-primary class and teacher. It is a very gradual introduction to school.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to weightbegone For This Useful Post:

ClaireI  (28-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Not every school. Certainly not my children's school or the school I work at.
    So why does it differ so much between schools in Sydney?

Genuine question. I have no experience with this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I love my sons school.
    Preps in my kids school have 100 sight words to learn and then spell. They're encouraged to finish them so they can move on to grade 1's words

We're in VIC

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Choosing a school for my son

I love my sons school.
    That sounds amazing! My DD had 5 sight words each week to learn in prep and they only got one outside play session each day for lunch. There is no playing at morning tea. They seem to care much more about NAPLAN and academic performance than anything else.

ETA: we're in QLD.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    Haha yes I get that but if I had my way none of them would go there.
    I would tell your DH that private schools, especially those that cost an entire low income salary do not perform better. But I don't want to open a can of worms in this thread

13. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

yadot  (28-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Yes.

I love it.

We are more than likely moving in12 months and I've told my husband we are not moving to a school that doesn't do L3. So far I've only found one school in the areas we are looking that implement L3
    Literacy performance has gone through the roof since our school implemented L3. I did placement in a JollyPhonics primary and prefer L3

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I love my sons school.
    Not prep as in pre school ( they do no sight words at 4 year old pre school ) but kindergarten ( NSW first year of primary school) DS learnt 250 sight words by June but they do them at the boys pace and they have tons of play time , sport and outside time ( we are an IB school as well ) and they do music and language

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast