Choosing a school for my son | Page 2 | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Can you make the link work? The department of education website clearly states if the child turns 5 by 30 June they will start pre primary that year.
    Screen shot from link

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1471953165.119570.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    That's the first I've ever heard of that. The department of education website clearly states the age for preprimary is 5 by 30 June.

There are cases where kids are older but it tends to be in the private schools only. I know only of 1 child who was turning 6 by 30 June (and that wasn't someone I knew directly).

What's the website it comes from? Just weird that there's nothing on the department's own website.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

ClaireI  (24-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    That's the first I've ever heard of that. The department of education website clearly states the age for preprimary is 5 by 30 June.

There are cases where kids are older but it tends to be in the private schools only. I know only of 1 child who was turning 6 by 30 June (and that wasn't someone I knew directly).

What's the website it comes from? Just weird that there's nothing on the department's own website.
    http://www.education.wa.edu.au/polic...tion-period.en

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Well learn something new everyday. It's interesting because it's certainly not the reality here in wa but it may change over time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Well learn something new everyday. It's interesting because it's certainly not the reality here in wa but it may change over time
    Totally off topic but nice to see you again @Sonja, you've been missed of late

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (23-08-2016),harvs  (23-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks bigredV, sorry Sonja, I'm crap at posting links & pics. It seems to me like the WA education dept is a big bully!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    Thanks bigredV, sorry Sonja, I'm crap at posting links & pics. It seems to me like the WA education dept is a big bully!
    I still wonder if it comes back to how WA was perceived as being behind the rest of the country in the curriculum. Don't know. It's just not the norm here to wait until kids are older to send them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haven't read the links sorry - are they current. It's just that compulsory PP only started 3 years ago. I've never heard of anyone here waiting to start the following year. My dd2 is a May baby and it's never been discussed about holding her back. Same with everyone else her age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    Not bullies at all. I can only compare Vic and WA, but Pre-Primary in WA is much more play based than Prep in Vic. Plus WA Kindy and Prep classes have a teacher (preferably with an Early years degree rather than a Primary teaching degree) plus a full time assistant, whereas Prep is just the teacher plus 25 kids to manage all on their own. Plus the Kindy-as-part-of-school thing means that the transition is much less stressful for the kids, wheels are already in motion for testing/additional support and so on.

Essentially, WA have set up their system to support children who are only 4.5 when they start.

OP: can't help with the Steiner/Forest schools. I know most Steiner schools are on their website and a few government schools run Steiner classes/sub-schools. Forest schools are mostly just emerging and generally it is daycares taking on the concepts.

A lot of governments schools are bringing in more ideas like outdoor classrooms, Kitchen/Gardens, putting in wetlands.

Also, you refer to liking the "lifestyle" in Australia. Having moved around a bit, there are also big differences in attitudes and lifestyle. I would use a general region you want to move to as your starting point (eg. somewhere you have been to and know it will offer you the lifestyle you hope for) then start researching schools in that immediate area.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    Not bullies at all. I can only compare Vic and WA, but Pre-Primary in WA is much more play based than Prep in Vic. Plus WA Kindy and Prep classes have a teacher (preferably with an Early years degree rather than a Primary teaching degree) plus a full time assistant, whereas Prep is just the teacher plus 25 kids to manage all on their own. Plus the Kindy-as-part-of-school thing means that the transition is much less stressful for the kids, wheels are already in motion for testing/additional support and so on.

Essentially, WA have set up their system to support children who are only 4.5 when they start.

OP: can't help with the Steiner/Forest schools. I know most Steiner schools are on their website and a few government schools run Steiner classes/sub-schools. Forest schools are mostly just emerging and generally it is daycares taking on the concepts.

A lot of governments schools are bringing in more ideas like outdoor classrooms, Kitchen/Gardens, putting in wetlands.

Also, you refer to liking the "lifestyle" in Australia. Having moved around a bit, there are also big differences in attitudes and lifestyle. I would use a general region you want to move to as your starting point (eg. somewhere you have been to and know it will offer you the lifestyle you hope for) then start researching schools in that immediate area.
    Just looking at the English curriculum/outcomes for preprimary in WA and it is comparable with other states. I think it is a lot for a child who is only 4.5 at the beginning of the year with no flexibility to let them stay home another year. I know my daughter (end of May birthday) would not have coped with all of that and more plus socially as well in first year of school but she would've had to endure it if we lived in WA.

Here are some outcomes from the WA pre-primary syllabus:

Use comprehension strategies to understand and discuss texts listened to, viewed or read independently

Read decodable and predictable texts, practising phrasing and fluency, and monitor meaning using concepts about print and emerging contextual, semantic, grammatical and phonic knowledge

Construct texts using software including word processing programs

Recognise and generate rhyming words, alliteration patterns, syllables and sounds (phonemes) in spoken words

Understand how to use knowledge of letters and sounds including onset and rime to spell words

Segment sentences into individual words and orally blend and segment onset and rime in single syllable spoken words, and isolate, blend and manipulate phonemes in single syllable words

Know how to read and write some high-frequency words and other familiar words

Understand that words are units of meaning and can be made of more than one meaningful part

Participate in shared editing of students' own texts for meaning, spelling, capital letters and full stops

Understand that punctuation is a feature of written text different from letters; recognise how capital letters are used for names, and that capital letters and full stops signal the beginning and end of sentences