+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Choosing a school for my son

Hi there this is my first post on here. We are currently living in the UK me and my son (aged 3.5) if we stay here he will be expected to enter full time school education in one year age 4.5. I feel for him this is too early. Having lived in Australia before I also miss the lifestyle, weather etc. I would like general advice re schooling him in Australia. Particularly Steiner and forest schools. Here in the UK there are a handful of free Steiner schools. Does anyone know of such with you? I am keen to hear recommendations. Can't be specific which area we will be moving to yet as it depends on work. Many thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi unfortunately there are no free Steiner schools in Australia - there are however in New Zealand if cost is a major consideration for you.

Equally Steiner schools are not everywhere. Check out the Steiner Education Australia website to see locations of member schools. You'll also find links to the various school websites many of which have their fees online. Fees can range from $4,000-$10.000 per year for primary school. Increasing in high school - not all member schools provide all 13 years of schooling.

The other issue you will face is many of the schools are quite small (less than 300 total students) and theirecan be a long wait list. So the quicker you get in touch the better.

I'm not sure what a Forest school is so can't help there. Another place to look would be the independent schools website as there are a number of 'Steiner inspired' schools around.

Hope that helps!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

ClaireI  (22-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi there my local public primary school has a Steiner ****** but I'm not sure if it operates for every year level of primary. It's Sheidow Park primary school (I'm in South Australia) perhaps send them an email.
    I'm not sure if it's the same as a forest school but Upper Sturt primary (again public so very low fees) is a nature based school.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

ClaireI  (22-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just in regards to the starting school at 4.5 it's similar here now. Kids start full time around 4/5 yrs old.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Candiceo For This Useful Post:

ClaireI  (22-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi there , we live in the Sunshine Coast hinterland and my kids go to Ananda Marga River school . They have a child care centre and kindy program up to aged 5 , it's a forest / bush school - kids spend there days by the creek learning about the natural environment and doing a lot of play based learning . Then they go on to the primary school from aged 5 or 6 to aged 12 which is in the same campus and the kids have so much love and support , lots of climbing and playing , music , meditation , academic studies and time by the creek / forest / outside learning . I honestly cannot say enough about the school . It's amazing .

They also have noosa steiner school up on the coast , it's from kindy to year 12 so covers all years . And the Sunshine Coast also has a Montessori school from kindy to year 12 ( 5 to aged 18) .

Absolutely love this area for the choice in schools.

You can google Ananda Marga River school in Maleny to see more . I couldn't ask for a more beautiful natural environment for my kids to spend their days .

Good luck with it all xxx

9. The Following User Says Thank You to babynomad For This Useful Post:

ClaireI  (23-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds stunning thank you I will check it out 😄

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree, 4.5 is too young. In Aus, schooling isnt compulsory unil the year the child turns 6.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

ClaireI  (24-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Except in WA, where pre-primary (full time school) is compulsory and children must attend if they turn 5 by 30 June (meaning many start at 4.5).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by weightbegone View Post
    Except in WA, where pre-primary (full time school) is compulsory and children must attend if they turn 5 by 30 June (meaning many start at 4.5).
    Funnily enough, it still isnt compulsory for children in WA to start school until the year they turn 6, like the rest of Australia. But I read on here all the time about parents getting bullied into sending their kids to school at 4.5 instead of 5.5 - & being told if they wait until their kids are 5.5, they will just be put into grade 1 instead of pre-primary. It's really not ok! Children arent commodities to be pushed around. End rant.

ETA:

http://www.ciswa.com/?page_id=531
    Last edited by cheeeeesecake; 23-08-2016 at 21:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    Funnily enough, it still isnt compulsory for children in WA to start school until the year they turn 6, like the rest of Australia. But I read on here all the time about parents getting bullied into sending their kids to school at 4.5 instead of 5.5 - & being told if they wait until their kids are 5.5, they will just be put into grade 1 instead of pre-primary. It's really not ok! Children arent commodities to be pushed around. End rant.

ETA:

http://www.ciswa.com/?page_id=531
    Can you make the link work? The department of education website clearly states if the child turns 5 by 30 June they will start pre primary that year.