+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default What are your thoughts about homework?

It seems like the general consensus is that in early primary especially, most of the parents here don't support the idea of homework (aside from readers). I wonder why some schools insist on it? Hopefully their homework policies will catch up with the times.

I enjoyed homework immensely as a child but I do remember people getting in trouble if it wasn't done. That was 25ish years ago though...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post

I enjoyed homework immensely as a child but I do remember people getting in trouble if it wasn't done. That was 25ish years ago though...
    I was always in trouble for not doing homework. It is basically the plot line for my entire schooling career. Between before school care really early, and after school care and family care that went til late and entire weekends filled with chores, I just had no time/patience for it. And I remember sometimes trying to get it done before school and it was easy over half an hours worth for one day. (This was from grade 2 and up as I don't have any memory of first grade). But because I was so terrified constantly of getting in trouble for not doing it, I would try to do it in class and miss out on that work. Or they would check it in the morning and I would get in trouble so would have a "well **** it, I'm in trouble anyway" attitude to the rest of the day's work. So the homework greatly impacted on my class work also.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My thoughts on homework...

Reading, writing, and spelling I'm fine with but the rest (projects, research etc,etc) is just homework for parents and I really (REALLY) have enough to be doing!

DS in year 2 btw.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default What are your thoughts about homework?

..sorry will try again
    Attached Images
    Last edited by bel2466; 24-08-2016 at 09:29.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bel2466 For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (24-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bel2466 For This Useful Post:

Phony  (24-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bel2466 View Post
    ..sorry will try again
    That's awesome! I wonder how parents will respond?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Following. DD1 is in Rec and only has readers and word lists that take around 15 mins per night. We dont do it every night tho just depends what we have on, how tired dd is. That and her show n tell every week is more than enough imo. If she starts bringing home a ton of homework as she gets older ill be saying something. 9-3 5 days a week is enough! Let them be kids.....She is struggling with her reading already as she just wants to play, draw etc. Im having a meeting with her teacher this week because she is concerned about her reading ability this far into the year. I just think shes overwhelmed. Im sure she will catch up in her own time at her own pace

Im interested in this unschooling concept tho? I thought by law you had to be enrolled in the curriculum, can someone please explain how it is monitored etc?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We do the work that helps cement things they are currently learning.
    The rest is rubbish.

For example- happy to do reading and writing as they are skills. But recently DSD had to create an orrery... she had no idea what it was and it wasn't for science. It was just there. She skipped it. The teacher complained but when asked what it linked to in class, she couldn't answer.

I like homewoork purely for preparation- time management, structure, layout/design, etc.

But both my stepkids have fine motor and time man issues so homework actually helps them
    Last edited by DT75; 24-08-2016 at 12:15.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (24-08-2016)