+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What are your thoughts about homework?

Our school has it so if you ask for homework they get some, if you ask for them not to, they don't. (We are a k-12 school and the high schoolers get homework I think). My son is in 1st grade and I asked for him to have homework. He gets given it on a Monday. But, they run a "homework club" in the library after school on Monday for an hour so I send him to that. I also send my 4yo with worksheets from his OT (he is ASD) to the homework club. I love this set up.

ETA: The club goes for an hour but it isn't just homework the whole time. They do some reading and games like memory etc.
    I ask for homework for my 1st grader in English as he is a touch behind and this has really helped him get up to speed and I send my 4yo more so he can get used to sitting at a desk and working without being micromanaged (strongly encouraged by his OT). So it's not just an hour full on with work.
    Last edited by Ahalfdozen; 22-08-2016 at 10:21.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (22-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post
    I really don't get why we need it. Does it mean the school system is failing to educate children "enough" in that 6 hours a day they are already attending? Why does it need an additional hour to cut into family time in the evening? I remember when I was a teenager, there was no way I'd give up that couple hours of daylight after school so I was always the one cramming in homework before class in the morning or on the train on the way to school. I think kids need time to just "be" and if we really need homework than we also need a rethink of what is happening in those 9am-3pm hours. And perhaps a rethink of what is expected of teachers during that time...
    I really agree with this.
    What I want to know is, where is the time for developing emotional intelligence? Imagination? Social skills? Creativity? A love of nature/playing outdoors? Playing sport/practising an instrument? And just relaxing and recharging for the next day at school!!
    I don't think I will be enforcing homework in primary school, I'd prefer my child to be outside mucking around/playing with friends/following their interests and passions and just learning through real-life experiences. What about life skills like doing the grocery shopping with mum/dad, helping to cook dinner, caring for pets, simple chores around the house etc?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Adoralicious For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (24-08-2016),witherwings  (22-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughters go to a school with a lot of homework. I hate it, they hate it. If my dd1 doesn't do her homework, the school policy is that they miss out on playtime on Friday they have to spend both breaks inside and do the homework.

Tbh, it's just too much for dd1. She can't handle it.

Dd2 is in kindergarten, at the same school. She has homework. I REFUSE to do it. If they punish her for it, I'm going to lose my sh1t!!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to preggasaurus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by preggasaurus View Post
    My daughters go to a school with a lot of homework. I hate it, they hate it. If my dd1 doesn't do her homework, the school policy is that they miss out on playtime on Friday they have to spend both breaks inside and do the homework.

Tbh, it's just too much for dd1. She can't handle it.

Dd2 is in kindergarten, at the same school. She has homework. I REFUSE to do it. If they punish her for it, I'm going to lose my sh1t!!!
    That is really awful how old is your dd1? What grade?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    That sounds like a really good approach. It would be so painful for everyone to try and force your kid to do homework when they just want to relax.
    It's great. The kids spend their afternoons outdoors. I've had friends tell me how jealous they are that I'm heading off to the beach after school instead fighting over homework like they are, but that's their choice.
    What I have found is that my kids start asking for homework sometimes once they hit year 4, and then year 5 onwards they're staying up until a bit later so have time to enjoy the outdoors, play with friends, attend after school activities and fit in homework. They enjoy it because they haven't been burnt out in the years prior. It's worked really well for us.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Adoralicious  (22-08-2016),BornToBe  (22-08-2016),witherwings  (22-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't like homework. I would rather encourage my children to learn about things outside of the curriculum that interest them, or read books that they love, instead of reading feeling like a chore.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son's school has a 'homework is encouraged but is optional' approach and the kids don't get punished for not doing it. I have been thinking about it a bit more and I think the reason I feel like a bit of homework in moderation for those who want it can be a good thing is because it makes me feel like I'm involved more in my child's learning and I enjoy the bonding that we do over homework. But like I said if DS has had a big day and isn't in the right headspace, we skip it in place of a bike ride or some downtime

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bel2466 For This Useful Post:

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I am philosophically opposed to homework but at our school there is an expectation from our parents that we set it. So I set reading and then minimal other stuff. If children don't complete class work through behaviour reasons such as talking, work avoidance etc then I will send the unfinished work home to be completed.

I talk about homework being a commitment that students make to their learning and it's important to honour that commitment.

Because I don't set very much (like ten minutes worth) I expect that it's completed, or that there is a note from home. I never challenge parent notes, but I do think it's an important aspect of learning responsibility, time management and organisation to either complete homework or acknowledge that it isn't completed.

I give out dojo (reward) points for completed homework so generally it gets done :-)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    That is really awful how old is your dd1? What grade?
    She's in grade 1. She's 6 years 2 months.

There's so many things I like about this school, but the homework policy isn't one of them..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by preggasaurus View Post
    She's in grade 1. She's 6 years 2 months.

There's so many things I like about this school, but the homework policy isn't one of them..
    Oh wow! That is intense! Is there any way you can tell the school that you don't want her doing homework during lunch/recess/play time? Surely it should be the parent's choice. Can't believe they punish yr1 students, it just seems so harsh