+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    We don't participate in homework until year 5. I tell teachers we don't do homework, and I tell teachers my child isn't to be punished for not doing homework.
    In saying that, we do keep an eye on our kids and work closely with their teacher to ensure they're not falling behind.
    We do plenty of things at home that enable the kids to learn in a fun way....we do readers until they are up to a decent level, and then switch to more exciting books at home. We play hangman, have spelling bees in the car, post letters to their friends etc. etc.
    From year 5, we encourage homework as preparation for highschool, as we know they have to do homework in highschool. We also participate in projects in the early school years.
    Our kids haven't been disadvantaged in any way with this approach, and it saves a lot of fights and stress from tired kids who are just done for the day.
    That sounds like a really good approach. It would be so painful for everyone to try and force your kid to do homework when they just want to relax.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm not a fan of homework in the early years especially. Reading yes, but even then I think home readers are dull and if my child wanted to read their own choice of text over theirs reader I'd be all for it.

The kids I nanny for get so much homework it's ridiculous. They're in year 4 and 6, and the year 4 girl easily does 1-2 hours a night. She's at an extremely competitive school and her parents expect it to get done so I can't tell her not to bother.

I wouldn't actively discourage my child from doing it but I wouldn't encourage it either. Especially in the amounts my charge gets!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (22-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Completely against it until about year 9-10

5. The Following User Says Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't mind homework in moderation. I quite enjoy guiding my DS through his learning if only for say 15 mins a day. If he's having a big week/tired etc we skip most of it and just do a reader and a spelling list. If he's motivated and we're not busy, we'll do it all.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bel2466 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Nope, I'm with your DH, I don't believe in homework until high school. There is no benefit in primary anyway, there have been lots of research all over the world that says the same thing - no benefit until later high school. Kids should be playing, spending time with sibs and family in the afternoons. Yes they should read every night but we do that as a family ritual at bed as opposed to 'home reader homework'.

Let kids be kids.
    Last edited by delirium; 22-08-2016 at 07:52.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (22-08-2016),Homeschooling4  (23-08-2016),witherwings  (22-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post

The kids I nanny for get so much homework it's ridiculous. They're in year 4 and 6, and the year 4 girl easily does 1-2 hours a night. She's at an extremely competitive school and her parents expect it to get done so I can't tell her not to bother.
    That is so sad 10 year olds should not be doing 1-2 hours of homework. All it will do is create anxiety and burn out.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Homeschooling4  (23-08-2016),witherwings  (22-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do it with ds who is in year 3 but 85% of the time it's a b**ch fight to get him to do it. He views it as punishment. I'll often do his spelling in the car to make it a game but I do think at times his homework has been a bit much. In year 1 he had a PowerPoint presentation every 2nd week, a home reader each night and 15 spelling words each week plus 15 maths exercises. On top of that there were 2 projects a term. Now in year 3 it's 2 library books each week plus reading each night, writing 3 lists of 20-25 words each week, 2 projects per term plus a major speech and 11 maths questions each week. I myself loathe it so I can understand why ds fights it. We try to keep a routine going in our house and when he's at his dad's house his dad makes him sit at a table and there's no afternoon tea until it is finished. It's difficult to balance that out as I'm a bit more relaxed

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Spincycle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm a primary school teacher and both of my boys love homework and have the ability to do it independently. My DS2 who is in prep begs me for him to do more, there's a love of learning there.

As teacher I really despise it. The kids who would benefit most don't do it anyway so I find it quite pointless. I hate marking it and to be honest I'd rather my year 6 students just learn their number facts better.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Theboys&me For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I really don't get why we need it. Does it mean the school system is failing to educate children "enough" in that 6 hours a day they are already attending? Why does it need an additional hour to cut into family time in the evening? I remember when I was a teenager, there was no way I'd give up that couple hours of daylight after school so I was always the one cramming in homework before class in the morning or on the train on the way to school. I think kids need time to just "be" and if we really need homework than we also need a rethink of what is happening in those 9am-3pm hours. And perhaps a rethink of what is expected of teachers during that time...

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

Adoralicious  (22-08-2016),atomicmama  (22-08-2016),Homeschooling4  (23-08-2016),SoThisIsLove  (24-08-2016),witherwings  (22-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Dd is in grade 1 and she has weekly homework, practice words for reading and writing and her reader and it's such a nightmare. She has ADHD and to get her to sit still and focus on her homework of an evening is like pulling teeth. Homework at this age is parental punishment

19. The Following User Says Thank You to PipersMummy For This Useful Post: