+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default What are your thoughts about homework?

I saw this Michael Moore tidbit in my newsfeed and it's made me curious how parents feel about homework? Shorter school hours? Shorter school years?

https://youtu.be/WVCTqgrFIPs

My DH is completely against homework and has said he won't force our kids to do it. I hope this doesn't hurt them at school. The principal at our DS's school told us that homework isn't compulsory so I'm hoping he won't be in trouble if he doesn't do it (of course if he wants to do homework, we will encourage and help him, but DH is adamant that home time is for playing, doing sport or other extra curricular, or for spending time with family).

2. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

almai  (22-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DS is only in kindy and we don't get homework yet ( just home readers) so I'm a bit torn on homework - I don't think their should be excessive homework in primary school ( reading I think is important) but in regards to the Michael Moore doco if you look at the latest rankings , Finland is falling in the ranking quite a lot and lost its top spot ( and their economy is one of the worst in Europe) and the top 5 countries in the world for maths and reading now are Asian countries who do do longer school hours and more homework so I'm not sure yet where I stand! I'm guessing in high school it is a lot more important

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (21-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    DS is only in kindy and we don't get homework yet ( just home readers) so I'm a bit torn on homework - I don't think their should be excessive homework in primary school ( reading I think is important) but in regards to the Michael Moore doco if you look at the latest rankings , Finland is falling in the ranking quite a lot and lost its top spot ( and their economy is one of the worst in Europe) and the top 5 countries in the world for maths and reading now are Asian countries who do do longer school hours and more homework so I'm not sure yet where I stand! I'm guessing in high school it is a lot more important
    I didn't know that about Finland! I wonder how old this doco is?

I guess kids needs to get used to homework before they start high school otherwise they will really struggle. I personally enjoyed doing homework when I was in primary school and loved reading too. I hope my boys are like me and less like DH! Lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have DD1 in year 3 and DD2 in her first year of school.

DD1 blazes through her homework for the week straight after school on a monday so its done.
    She reads for enjoyment and as a wind down each evening for 30-45minutes.

DD2 needs supervision and help with her homework so we grab 5mins here, 10mins there throughout the week between me & DH and thats plenty of time to get her homework done. She gets read to along with DS each night before bed.

We dont make a huge deal out or stress about homework but we do ensure its done

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (21-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am not a fan of homework at all! The only homework that should be done is reading. In our house reading is done everyday and a book is taken everywhere.

From my reading the benefits of homework are not there until well into high school.

DD12 is in year 6 and this week has her homework which is 20 spelling words, 2 homework sheets, 20mins reading and whatever maths comes home tomorrow. She was also given last week a history assignment due in a week and an oral presentation on a song (and its video) about social issues.

DD9 is in year 3 and has to write a complex sentence with big words each day, write out times-tables and their turn around, some other maths questions. She also has studyladder activities and read theory website activities.

I got annoyed with DD9 teacher as she was not coping and it was so hard to get DDs homework reduced. I am now over it. She gets done what she gets done, I'm not going to push anymore. Her crying and getting frustrated does not help her learning.

So, after my DDs going through this much schooling I have hit the I don't care about homework stage. I am not going to pressure or force them to do it. If the homework that was set was realistic (time wise) then that would be different.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PomPoms For This Useful Post:

Homeschooling4  (23-08-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (22-08-2016),witherwings  (21-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is my concern - unfair expectations of young children. If it's not compulsory then at least it takes the pressure off. I'm glad that's the policy in DS's school. The principal said they wanted to get rid of homework all together but too many parents complained.

almai is offline "you never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have."
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My kids are not in school yet but I don't totally like the idea of homework.
    When you are in school, you are told not to talk and play around yet when you go home, you are expected to do a lot of homework.... So when do you get to chat and play with your friends/family?! for this reason I hate homework.
    Someone once explained to me that homework was given so children can show that they learnt something in class and can remember it and put it into practice. Gives them a chance in their own time to have a go without the pressure of peers around. So for that theory I don't mind homework. But I think it should be relevant to the kids and just a few quick questions that don't take much time.
    Or tasks/assignments could be done in real life situations.
    Eg: adding up a shopping list/working out change,
    Measuring ingredients for a recipe. Etc

12. The Following User Says Thank You to almai For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (22-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    My children don't have much homework. My daughter in year 2 gets a small amount. My son who started school this year gets home readers only. As a parent I hate homework. As a teacher I hate homework but often parents demand it.

Although Finland has fallen to 6th place, I would much rather their model than the top Asian countries where school hours are long, plus crammed after school tuition and high suicide rates. They might now top the education rankings but they're certainly not developing rounded students; they're all just robots with no time for anything else.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (22-08-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (22-08-2016),spotsmum  (22-08-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (22-08-2016),witherwings  (22-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We don't participate in homework until year 5. I tell teachers we don't do homework, and I tell teachers my child isn't to be punished for not doing homework.
    In saying that, we do keep an eye on our kids and work closely with their teacher to ensure they're not falling behind.
    We do plenty of things at home that enable the kids to learn in a fun way....we do readers until they are up to a decent level, and then switch to more exciting books at home. We play hangman, have spelling bees in the car, post letters to their friends etc. etc.
    From year 5, we encourage homework as preparation for highschool, as we know they have to do homework in highschool. We also participate in projects in the early school years.
    Our kids haven't been disadvantaged in any way with this approach, and it saves a lot of fights and stress from tired kids who are just done for the day.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Homeschooling4  (23-08-2016),witherwings  (22-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Although Finland has fallen to 6th place, I would much rather their model than the top Asian countries where school hours are long, plus crammed after school tuition and high suicide rates. They might now top the education rankings but they're certainly not developing rounded students; they're all just robots with no time for anything else.
    This is my thought too - academic achievement isn't the be all and end all of life. What if my boy wants to be an artist? Or a designer or a comedian or a bus driver? It's more important to be a happy person who is kind to others and is socially adaptable. Our biggest goal for our son is that he gets along with others. I don't really care how he does academically..

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (22-08-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (22-08-2016)