Corpus luteum cyst pain | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Corpus luteum cyst pain

Hello :-)

I'm not sure whether this is just pregnancy related or whether it's something which can happen to anyone but have stuck it in this category.

Im currently 8 weeks pregnant, I had had discomfort around my right ovary pretty much since I found out I was pregnant 4 weeks ago. My dating scan last week confirmed I have a corpus luteum cyst on my right ovary measuring 4.5 x 6.5cm. My doctor isn't worried about it, if it's still causing me discomfort at 11-12 weeks she'll refer me to another scan, if not it means it has probably just shrunk and gone away on its own. She has assured me the baby isn't at risk because of it.

If I'm lying or sitting my my body isn't in a straight line, e.g. Legs crossed or both legs bent to one side, and I cough, sneeze or try to sit up, I get a sharp pain in my right ovary, presumably the cyst. It feels like when you put pressure on a balloon and I'm so scared I'm going to inadvertently rupture it. I guess I'm hoping to hear from others who have had one, what the outcome was, did the pain / discomfort get worse over time, did it rupture, etc. Also I have PCOS if that makes a difference.

Thank you :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    Hello :-)

I'm not sure whether this is just pregnancy related or whether it's something which can happen to anyone but have stuck it in this category.

Im currently 8 weeks pregnant, I had had discomfort around my right ovary pretty much since I found out I was pregnant 4 weeks ago. My dating scan last week confirmed I have a corpus luteum cyst on my right ovary measuring 4.5 x 6.5cm. My doctor isn't worried about it, if it's still causing me discomfort at 11-12 weeks she'll refer me to another scan, if not it means it has probably just shrunk and gone away on its own. She has assured me the baby isn't at risk because of it.

If I'm lying or sitting my my body isn't in a straight line, e.g. Legs crossed or both legs bent to one side, and I cough, sneeze or try to sit up, I get a sharp pain in my right ovary, presumably the cyst. It feels like when you put pressure on a balloon and I'm so scared I'm going to inadvertently rupture it. I guess I'm hoping to hear from others who have had one, what the outcome was, did the pain / discomfort get worse over time, did it rupture, etc. Also I have PCOS if that makes a difference.

Thank you :-)
    I had this. My largest measurement was 8cm x 7.5cm. It gave me constant discomfort if i tested or turned or pulled the wrong way etc.
    i had lots of scans and it only shrunk at 21 weeks. It's now 2.5cm

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Corpus luteum cyst pain

I've had a lot of them, but not while pregnant. I went through about a 12 month period where I would get one, it would shrink 6-8 weeks later and then the other side would get one. Not fun as they hurt a lot and made my periods so painful, and I vaguely recall they would hurt sometimes without warning (it was about 8 years ago). Mine used to get to between 7-8cm in size, but none ever burst. I had a couple of ultrasounds to see what was going on, but they never really came up with a cause. I'm just glad they stopped coming up!

Hopefully yours will shrink without any problems too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your responses ladies, great to hear that yours have disappeared or shrunk significantly. Hopefully the same happens to me!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

Californication  (22-08-2016)