+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Witching hour help - toddlers

My (almost) 2yo DS is so difficult once it gets to 4.30/5pm. Throwing things/hitting people/pets, tipping water out of his cup all over the floor, getting into things he knows he's not allowed in and throwing tantrums etc etc! I never know what to do to get him to calm down and TV doesn't seem to help in the times I need him to just stop/calm down for 10 minutes. I'm usually trying to get dinner ready and it's getting harder and harder! I feel like I'm just constantly telling him off and he doesn't understand time outs.

I need some tips on how to help him just relax and wind down ready for the night routine. Help!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD is the same. I pop her in the high chair (so she can't run rampant!) just for 10-15 mins in front of her fav DVD with snacks that take a while to eat such as grated cheese, toast, blue berries etc. Gives me just enough time to get dinner going :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Pearly, at age 1 almost 2 i would be feeding main meal ay 430 or 5. It means you won't always eat as a family but by 430 mine were always hungry, tired and past it . I would pop little one in a chair at 430. They can have a snack or round 2 of dinner later if still up with you but i always found 430 or 5 was time for main protein meal. All the best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe try some slow cooker meals so you have the time to sit with him and nip the cheeky behavior in the bud. Also I agree with pp that 5 is a pretty standard dinner time for that age. A hungry and tried toddler can be such a challenge!!! Good luck. X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DS just turned 2 and he's hungry and grumpy by 5pm. We try to feed the kids between 5-5:30 otherwise it's a nightmare. DS tends to eat less and be more fussy if he eats later, he just gets beyond it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Agree with the others. Or even try swapping lunch and dinner over for him. When my son was little, he used to have a sandwich for dinner early and then the next day he would have leftovers from our dinner for lunch. Sometimes he would eat dinner with us as well, but it wouldn't matter if he didn't eat anything then as he'd already eaten.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby_Tuesday15 For This Useful Post:

littleriv  (21-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks. I usually have him eating by 5-5.30 on non-work nights. Work nights we can't eat before 5.30/6 (by the time everyone is home). I often do slow cooker meals during the week but may need to do some more on weekends. Tonight he was driving me crazy - I ended up using his cot as time out (which I hate doing but was out of ideas). It did work though. Toddlers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good on you, do whatever works for you. On work nights, i have food for them to eat on the drive home, especially the youngest one. If she has a good hot lunch at daycare, i am happy for her to eat chopped salad, chicken or a baby pouch in the car as she is too tired to focus on dinner... its tough on work nights ☺