Brisbane help | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Brisbane help

Hi, I am getting a bit ahead of myself here as a TTC but want to be prepared. Am sightly confused about birthing centers in Brisbane. If you go public is your only option to be on the wait list for RBWH birth center or you have to go with a hospital birth? Are there other options besides paying over 5k to go private?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Have a look and see what catchment you are in

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think Metro North which covers Mater and RBWH, does that sound right?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Brisbane help

If you want to go trough a birth centre, then the Royal is your only option. As soon as you get pregnant you'll need to put your name down for the ballot. I believe they draw the ballot when you're around 12 weeks.

To go mainstream public, it will depend on which hospital you're in the catchment for as to where you'll go. You will have an option of going mainstream public - where your antenatal visits are at the hospital with a midwife (or at your GP if you go shared care) and when you come to hospital in labour a birth suite midwife will care for you. You may or may not see the same midwife for your appointments and it is likely you won't meet your birth suite midwife until you are actually in labour.

You can also go through the midwifery group practice which is where you have one midwife for your entire pregnancy. They will see you for all your antenatal visits, plus be there at your birth and will follow up with you at home for up to 6 weeks after baby is born. The midwives work in teams and you will get the opportunity to meet the other midwives in the team during your pregnancy in case one of them is looking after you in birth. MGP is usually a low risk model of care for women who want minimal intervention and a more "natural" labour and birth. Obviously if you need an induction, epidural or caesarean (emergency or late decision elective) then they will still care for you, but if you know that for medical reasons you need a caesarean, or you already know you want an epidural etc, then MGP probably isn't the best fit.

There are many private midwifery practices too - Mama, My Midwives, Midwives First plus many many more who can provide care for a home birth if you don't want a hospital birth. They have portable birthing pools so you can have a water birth at home too. Obviously you still need to book in to your local hospital too in case things go pear shaped at home, but more than likely things will be ok. Depending on which catchment you're in will depend on what rights your midwife would have at the hospital if you did need to go. For example, some private midwives have visiting rights at some hospitals so they can continue to care for you in labour. Other hospitals don't allow it, so your midwife can still be there but only as a support person. They won't be able to provide any clinical care. In terms of cost, no idea. You would have to have a look at websites of each. But they should all be Medicare eligible meaning you will get Medicare rebates from your visits etc.

Private you still have a multitude of options. If you go to a private hospital out of the city area it will likely be cheaper. More expensive doesn't necessarily mean the best. If you choose to go private, look at the private hospitals around and decide where you want to go and then look at the private obstetricians who deliver there. Word of mouth is a good way to get recommendations for a good obstetrician.

Depending on what kind of birth you want will depend on what you look for. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by M'LadyEm; 21-08-2016 at 09:45.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (21-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by givingitago85 View Post
    I think Metro North which covers Mater and RBWH, does that sound right?
    Metro north is RBWH. Unless you're in catchment for Redcliffe or Caboolture.

Thanks
    Reviews
    LadyEm, thank you so much!! I think my worry is not having privacy in labour...this is perhaps a really stupid question but do you go straight into a birth suite when you get to the hospital or do they put you on a ward until go time?
    I think a midwife group is a great idea and I will do some googling!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by givingitago85 View Post
    LadyEm, thank you so much!! I think my worry is not having privacy in labour...this is perhaps a really stupid question but do you go straight into a birth suite when you get to the hospital or do they put you on a ward until go time?
    I think a midwife group is a great idea and I will do some googling!!
    I just had my baby through the midwife group yesterday and I went straight into the birth suite. It was my second though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations!!! I'm googling away now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @givingitago85 it really depends. If you come in to hospital in the early stages of labour you will likely be sent home again. Sometimes you can be admitted to a ward in situations like your waters breaking and wanting your labour to be induced/augmented and there's no space in birth suite, but if everything is all good, it is far better to go home and wait for labour to establish. I get really frustrated when people come into hospital at 1cm and refuse to go home because they think that now they're in hospital, they're going to have a baby. It doesn't work like that, and they get really sh*tty when we tell them we are sending them home a couple of hours later if nothing has happened. If you come in to hospital early and won't leave it increases the chance of intervention. If you labour at home in your own environment where you're comfortable and relaxed you will do far better. Obviously still come in when you need to but it's better to do the hard yards at home. You can call up the birth suite midwives (or MGP if you go with them) any time to let them know what's happening and they'll advise you whether it's time to come in or if they think it's safe to stay at home a bit longer.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

smallpotatoes  (21-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I like the idea of being at home as long as possible, I am not quite confident enough in myself for a home birth but if I can, like you say, do the majority at home and then stay in hospital as little as possible that will be my aim. Have had a look at private midwife and I think that's the way I'll go. Thank you for all your help. It's daunting even at this early stage!!