+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Did your folks use cc

So after many comments I'm wondering did your parents use childcare?

Mine did. My mum paid over $300 a week in the 90's. I often see people complain about cost etc. I don't think it's changed that much.

The school topic got me thinking about it because we pay for kids have social interaction etc & for me to be sane 😁 some people don't like to (that's fine) it's costly but I didn't realise many families didn't send kids

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yep. My mum was a sole parent and worked full time so I was in daycare 5 days a week from a few months old, as well as OOSH when at school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Nope. My mum was a sahm up until i was in grade 4. Then she would drop me at school and my older brother would pick me up and look after me until mum was home.

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Nope, my mum was a sahm so none of her 4 kids went to childcare.

We send ds to cc though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My Mum used family day care when I was 2 - 4. After that we moved and my grandparents looked after me when she was working.
    She was a single mother, so worked a lot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Nope mum used my grandma to mind me
    Last edited by Louise41; 20-08-2016 at 21:31.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Nope SAHM mum here. Don't know how she put up with us. 3 under 3.

Though I do admit as I got older I was a bit resentful that she didn't work as she wasn't very hands on or involved with us kids, she didn't drive, and she had a lot of free time (she was the opposite of a neat freak I never saw her clean anything) and we really struggled financially.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 20-08-2016 at 22:14.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yep, my mum went back to casual teaching when I was 3 and my brother 1. We went to family day care, then we moved interstate and went to child care and Dad went PT so he did school pick ups when that time came. Then they divorced and dad moved back interstate and we went to out of school hours care.
    I've read a fascinating history of child care co-ops in the 70's and 80's and was amazed that even when I was a little girl in the early 80's child care was radical, feminist and grass roots. Things sure have changed!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (21-08-2016)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and to address another point in your OP, I think back then mums were a far bigger support to one another than they are now. I remember my mum's mother's group was really really tight. She told me that there was 6 of them and they spent most of their days together in shifts- 1 mum would go off and have a sleep or just some down time for one morning and the next day it was someone else's turn. It was still very much a village mentality that I don't think mum's these days experience. These days we're expected to outsource or to just suck it up, unless we have family close by.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (20-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No. My mum worked in a hairdressing salon and put me in a cot in the tea room while she worked . Maybe that's what's wrong with me, inhaled too many hair chemicals! My how times have changed...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (20-08-2016)