+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Book Week 2016

I have a 4.5yo & 18mo and Wednesday is dress up day for book week. This years theme is Australia, any ideas? Does it have to be within the theme?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Ours is Friday and our theme is also Australia but DS teacher said they can go as anything they want , they just should bring the book their character is in , she said for the infants school it's quite normal for the kids to dress as superheros/movie characters but from 3rd class they encourage them to go as one of the books they read at school and be more creative with their costumes! DS is going as Chewbacca !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    We don't have a theme. We never have. We just have to have be from a book. We done things like
    Wonkey donkey
    Muffin mcclay a bundle of hay.
    Lego policeman
    Ned Kelly
    Bush rangers
    Green sheep
    Wacky wednesday

We did launch book week with a world record attempt of the most people wearing sock puppets in one place, this morning. We beat the old record by over 100.
    It was led by a children's author who wrote books about socks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DD is 2 & going as Rudie Nudie to daycare on Wednesday = hooded towel over her clothes. She's toilet training so can't be in any full length costumes.
    Otherwise she might just wear her ballerina tutu.
    I tossed up between the green sheep & Grug also, but I figured for a 2 year old there's no point going to too much trouble, plenty of time for that later!

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Book Week 2016

Eeee! I love Book Week ❤️ the theme this year is Australia: Story Country. Most places will generally have some kids dress to the theme and some kids dress just as a book character. Last year DS went as Zac Power, this year he's going as... The 13 storey tree house!!! Here's some of the levels we've completed so far: I've sewn him a 'trunk' and we'll stick the levels on branches attached to a backpack so he can take it off for most of the day until the book parade. He'll also have a Ned Kelly-esque helmet thing to attach the topmost levels.
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1471685291.835628.jpgImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1471685302.250102.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had a friend ask about her daughter's costume the other day. Here are some of what I suggested (most of what I came up with were animal ones) books like Diary of a Wombat, Edward the Emu, Possum Magic, Where is the Green Sheep, Wombat Stew, the Gruffalo, Blinky Bill, Olga the Brolga, Going on a Bear Hunt, A Proper Little Lady, seven Little Australians, Run Pip Run, Snugglepot and Cuddlepie (or just a gumnut baby in general), Room on the Broom.

If none of those suggestions take your fancy, if you google Australian picture books, you'll get a great list. Or, a list of a few of my favourite Aussie authors (in no particular order): Libby Gleeson, Alison Lester, Graeme Base, Shaun Tan, Mem Fox, Pamela Allen, Julia Donaldson, Jackie French.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DS's class are dressing as gum nut babies from Snuggle pot and Cuddle Pie. This is the shirt I made him today, the leaves are cut out of felt and stuck on. Was very easy. He's made a hat in class. Its a beanie with leaves on it. And will wear it with khaki pants.
    Attached Images

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 10 yr old daughter is going as Beattie from 'Playing Beattie Bow'. It's an Australian book from the 80's that I loved and we covered in school. DD and I are reading it now, and she has watched the movie. Not sure if anyone will know it though, her young teacher had never heard of it. Makes me feel old lol

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maddysmama For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (20-08-2016),Mod-Uniquey  (21-08-2016)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by maddysmama View Post
    My 10 yr old daughter is going as Beattie from 'Playing Beattie Bow'. It's an Australian book from the 80's that I loved and we covered in school. DD and I are reading it now, and she has watched the movie. Not sure if anyone will know it though, her young teacher had never heard of it. Makes me feel old lol
    That's my favourite book of all time!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (20-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    That's my favourite book of all time!
    I just love it too! And you can watch the movie on YouTube. It's so 80's bad but I still love it for memory sake lol