+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Anyone's child off food at this stage?

Just wondering if it's my child, or just a phase that 2 year olds are going through....

My girl has suddenly stopped eating her fav foods, amongst other foods. I only had a few that she would eat as she's a fuss pot.

It's doing my head in to be quiet honest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

It's quite normal at that age for some toddlers , they say it's a variety of reasons - trying to gain their independence , so refusing what you give them as more of a control thing , the best way to avoid this is either try eat Buffett or family style so they can pick what and how much to eat or give them a choice of say 2 or 3 foods ( do you want broccoli or beans with your fish ?) so they feel in control

I've also read that at this age their "caveman" instinct can kick in, they stop trying new foods, start eating the same food as their survival instinct is to only eat what they know or apparently some say their tastebuds change at this age so the taste of their food changes - the only way really to help this is make sure you offered a huge variety of flavoursome foods from birth so they have a lot to choose from or if you haven't done that just keep offering a big variety of foods, in the hope one day she may start choosing some!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Nafsika  (20-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep ! Normal! My 2 yr olds were shocking eaters for about 1 month then suddenly they were back to normal !

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Louise41 For This Useful Post:

Nafsika  (20-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    It's quite normal at that age for some toddlers , they say it's a variety of reasons - trying to gain their independence , so refusing what you give them as more of a control thing , the best way to avoid this is either try eat Buffett or family style so they can pick what and how much to eat or give them a choice of say 2 or 3 foods ( do you want broccoli or beans with your fish ?) so they feel in control

I've also read that at this age their "caveman" instinct can kick in, they stop trying new foods, start eating the same food as their survival instinct is to only eat what they know or apparently some say their tastebuds change at this age so the taste of their food changes - the only way really to help this is make sure you offered a huge variety of flavoursome foods from birth so they have a lot to choose from or if you haven't done that just keep offering a big variety of foods, in the hope one day she may start choosing some!
    Always with your great advice.....your like an angel.
    I do that, but nothing.
    She used to have 1-2 avocados a day. Now.... Can't even get her to have a piece.

We went out for lunch, she just picked at bread and a couple bites of meat. She's also been sleeping during the day which is odd.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I still have that fear in me if she doesn't eat. It's actually become a big issue. Grrrr

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Maybe she's fighting a bug/cold etc That usually puts you off your food and makes your more sleepy - keep up her fluids, try get her to eat some fruit or even juice or a smoothie, a few days of not eating a lot is ok as long as her fluids are up, give it a day or so and see if she perks up or maybe a trip to the GP to check she's not sick xx

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Nafsika  (20-08-2016)