+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This is our story. Beautiful early March ds2. Socially very very ready. A dream personality. Very compliant, agreeable. Everyone said he was ready. We knew he was ready. Socially and academically. we started him in nsw aged 4 turning 5. He was just the best boy in class! But as kindy and yr 1 went on, his teachers expressed that he was not completing tasks on time and had some motor skill delays. OT was helpful. We recently moved and opted for ds2 to do yr 2 again at the new school. No social prejudice from peers. He has thrived and has new confidence. Looking back with the benefit of hindsight, i would not start a child age 4. My dd will have to wait for the extra year. If you are in two minds, that is the decision. Wait til 5 . Just my experience. All the best.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (21-08-2016),Reneeharry  (21-08-2016),witherwings  (21-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Delay entry to school (5/6yr)

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    No! I didn't say they should go to school if they are academically capable yet socially not capable. Kids need a bit of both.

You can't draw a line based purely on age and say every one to the left isn't ready for school and everyone to the right is. Readiness involves a combination of factors. Age can offer a very rough guesstimate on whether a child *may* be ready, but that's it. A guesstimate.

Ladies: When it comes down to it, have an honest chat with your child's preschool teacher about their readiness signs and use that to help you decide whether or not to send your child to big school. Don't rely too much on a bunch of ladies online (myself included) who bang on about they did this, they did that, they knew a kid who was XYZ age and was/wasn't ready. Chat with your own child's preschool teacher.
    A lot of people who comment in these threads are pre school or primary school teachers. And high school teachers who see the disparity even in high school. But apparently even though we are teachers, we are still only a "bunch of ladies online" whose opinion other people shouldn't rely on. I've never seen one teacher in these threads or any of my teacher friends/colleagues irl encourage parents to start their 4 year old in formal schooling. Why?

Four year old children (boys especially) are just not made for sitting in classrooms concentrating.

Interestingly, this just popped up in my Facebook newsfeed.

http://www.stevebiddulph.com/Site_1/..._starting.html

ETA - a screenshot from above link. First paragraph in screenshot says it all.

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1471778518.944334.jpg
    Last edited by BigRedV; 21-08-2016 at 21:22.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (21-08-2016),Reneeharry  (22-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    Thankfully we don't have to make the decision because DS1 turns 5 in October so he's starting kindergarten at the end of jan next year. I think he could probably start school even now if we had the choice to enrol him. He's bright enough and enjoys writing, counting, and listening to stories (also reciting stories by memory).. but he does have issue controlling his emotions. I doubt that will change much in the next 5 months as he's had issues with this as long as I can remember.
    No, he wouldn't be able to start school now. In NSW you have to turn 5 before August 1 to start school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    No, he wouldn't be able to start school now. In NSW you have to turn 5 before August 1 to start school.
    I know this, that is why I said we don't have a choice about it.

ETA if he his bday was 31st July, only a few months short of his bday now, I would say there's no way I would have started him in school at the start of this year. He's only recently started concentrating and settling in group settings, and is still a bit socially awkward.
    Last edited by witherwings; 21-08-2016 at 21:15.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    I know this, that is why I said we don't have a choice about it.
    Oh. I thought you said he could start school now in your post?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh. I thought you said he could start school now in your post?
    I said if it was a choice we did have, he probably could start now. Based on his current behaviour in preschool. But to be honest, another half year in preschool and travelling will do him a world of good before starting big school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by our4boys View Post
    I can't believe how heated this topic is.
    I had no idea this was even a thing people argued about. It seems a strange thing to get upset about.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

flowers21  (21-08-2016),Tinkers  (21-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

A lot of people who comment in these threads are pre school or primary school teachers. And high school teachers who see the disparity even in high school. But apparently even though we are teachers, we are still only a "bunch of ladies online" whose opinion other people shouldn't rely on. I've never seen one teacher in these threads it's my of my teacher friends/colleagues irl encourage parents to start their 4 year old in formal schooling. Why?

Four year old children (boys especially) are just not made for sitting in classrooms concentrating.

Interestingly, this just popped up in my Facebook newsfeed.

http://www.stevebiddulph.com/Site_1/..._starting.html

No need to be so sensitive - if you re-read my post you will see that I include myself in the list of people who's advice shouldn't be taken as gospel.

Since you've opened the topic of the value of a teachers opinion (gotta say I love teachers) - do you think your advice, as a teacher online who has never met a 4 year old 11 month child (exaggerating to highlight a point), should trump the advice of the child's own preschool teacher that has been with the child 3-5 days a week for a whole year?

I stand by my comments that the advice of ladies online who have NEVER met a child should be taken as a very general guide and should not be used as a deciding a factor if a parenting is unsure about what to do.

Seriously, not directed at any one person , this whole to delay school or not debate is giving me the irates. It's the female BH version of the "my penis is bigger than yours" contest.
    Last edited by VicPark; 21-08-2016 at 21:32.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I can't believe penis didn't get blanked out. Penis penis penis!

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

amyd  (21-08-2016),flowers21  (21-08-2016),Tinkers  (21-08-2016),witherwings  (21-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Do you think your advice, as a teacher online who has never met a 4 year old 11 month child (exaggerating to highlight a point), should trump the advice of the child's own preschool teacher that has been with the child 3-5 days a week for a whole year?

I stand by my comments that the advice of ladies online who have NEVER met a child should be taken as a very general guide and should not be used as a deciding a factor if a parenting is unsure about what to do.

Seriously, this whole to delay school or not thread is giving me the irates. It's the female BH version of the "my penis is bigger than yours" contest.
    A 4 year old's (especially boys) brain is not ready for school.

You're always asking about research/studies. You'll find it in the link above.

If it annoys you that much, perhaps you should stay out of them. Personally this is an issue close to my heart because of my profession.