+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    One thing I've learned is don't pidgeon hole your child into a parenting philosophy from the get go. Don't vow when your kid is 4 weeks old that you are going to delay solids until they are 7 months. Don't Vow when they are 1 week old that you will always only give your baby breastmilk. You never know what will happen and how your child will change as they get older. The best plan is to vow to go by the signs your child is exhibiting. If they are 5.5 months old, chewing their hands, eyeing off your steak and waking every 2 hours at night for a milk feed then give them some solids already! If they are 4 years 11 months, playing Beethoven on the piano and writing a phd thesis on the interactions between adults on a social media forum then let them start kindy already!
    Ive never done that? Things change, I've changed and I'm new to parenting. Nothing is planned and I'm my post I said who knows when I'll send her I'm thinking when she's 6!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ofcourse pre schools are useful for preparing children for school vic park! That's what they're for. That's my job. Our number one aim is to get each and every child ready for school.

Our whole program is school readiness and some of it's play based. We are structured and do a lot of learning.

I'm not taking about daycare either, I'm talking about pre schools being funded. They come under the federal government in nsw and parents aren't entitled to any benefits. My centre is $45 for a day 9:15 to 3:15. Children bring their own lunch and morning tea. No nappies and ages 3-5. 3yr olds go for one day and 4-5 are allowed for 2-3 days.

I wish there were more proper pre schools, they seem to be very rare. They're so beneficial for children. I don't think it's he kindergarten teachers job to get a child ready for school, they should be running into those schoo gates ready to learn

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    That's interesting as most teachers on here and and from our pre school have said they prefer the kids not to know too much before they start school - as is reading/writing etc they just prefer them to know how to go to the toilet by themselves and know how to take instructions - my DS went to 4 year old pre school (NSW) 2 days a week and it was definitely play based, the only thing they did was get them to write their names , know the letters of the alphabet and count to 20

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (21-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Kindergarten in NSW , the first formal year of school is pretty full on - it's quite structured and DS could read by middle of the year , I can see where a 4 year old would struggle - we don't get home work but do have home readers - pre school in NSW is the year before school and that's play based
    Yes with DS he got homework in kindy and home reader. He was 4.5 when he started kindy and turned 5 in May of the kindy year. I regret my decision to send him so early. He was ready socially but acedemically he was not ready and due this has fallen behind. I was pretty much pressured by his childcare to send him and finding another childcare centre for another year was so hard because there was long waiting lists. His childcare centre said I was slack for not sending him and all his friends where going. I really didn't know what to do, plus I work fulltime so I needed fulltime childcare.
    I can see now he is in year 1 and with a lot of work he is improving and catching up. But it's only now that he has turned 6 that he understands why he is in school.
    I was really shocked at the amount of work they do in kindy, it was very structured and full on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    One thing I've learned is don't pidgeon hole your child into a parenting philosophy from the get go. Don't vow when your kid is 4 weeks old that you are going to delay solids until they are 7 months. Don't Vow when they are 1 week old that you will always only give your baby breastmilk. You never know what will happen and how your child will change as they get older. The best plan is to vow to go by the signs your child is exhibiting. If they are 5.5 months old, chewing their hands, eyeing off your steak and waking every 2 hours at night for a milk feed then give them some solids already! If they are 4 years 11 months, playing Beethoven on the piano and writing a phd thesis on the interactions between adults on a social media forum then let them start kindy already!
    School isn't just about academics. A child could be able to read before starting school. Doesn't mean they are ready to go to school at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    School isn't just about academics. A child could be able to read before starting school. Doesn't mean they are ready to go to school at all.
    I agree. And a child could be 6 and it doesn't necessarily mean they are ready. Go by the child, not by the book.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I agree. And a child could be 6 and it doesn't necessarily mean they are ready. Go by the child, not by the book.
    You were the one who said that if a 4 year old is academically capable then they should go to school. I disagree.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankfully we don't have to make the decision because DS1 turns 5 in October so he's starting kindergarten at the end of jan next year. I think he could probably start school even now if we had the choice to enrol him. He's bright enough and enjoys writing, counting, and listening to stories (also reciting stories by memory).. but he does have issue controlling his emotions. I doubt that will change much in the next 5 months as he's had issues with this as long as I can remember.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Delay entry to school (5/6yr)

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    You were the one who said that if a 4 year old is academically capable then they should go to school. I disagree.
    No! I didn't say they should go to school if they are academically capable yet socially not capable. Kids need a bit of both.

You can't draw a line based purely on age and say every one to the left isn't ready for school and everyone to the right is. Readiness involves a combination of factors. Age can offer a very rough guesstimate on whether a child *may* be ready, but that's it. A guesstimate.

Ladies: When it comes down to it, have an honest chat with your child's preschool teacher about their readiness signs and use that to help you decide whether or not to send your child to big school. Don't rely too much on a bunch of ladies online (myself included) who bang on about they did this, they did that, they knew a kid who was XYZ age and was/wasn't ready. Chat with your own child's preschool teacher.
    Last edited by VicPark; 21-08-2016 at 17:35.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (21-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't believe how heated this topic is. Considering every child is so different I don't think a completely blanket age should be considered. My children all boys were not ready until 5 so I held them back that's not saying all children should be but my eldest has thrived at school because of it and my second who has autism and a intellectual disability I wouldn't of considered starting him any earlier.