+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Im in vic.
    Here the children born up to april 30 can go at 3 turning 4, or 4 turning 5.

My ds turned 5 in march. We sent him to kinder last year at 3, turning 4 in march . We thought he was ready. His childcare educators said he was ready.
    But he was not. We made the decision to repeat kinder, so he's now in his second year of "4yo kinder"

Honestly for us and our ds (all children are different) it's been the best decision. He's come so far already. He's handling his emotions better, he's excited about writing and starting and controlling a pen/pencil.
    He's so much more out going (he has always been confident but you can really see it now)

At first when his teacher suggested pulling him out of kinder for the year i was offended and upset. So we kept him in...going he would catch up but he didn't so we are repeating and it is best for us

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I strongly believe children should go to school when they turn six that year.
    I am a pre school teacher and every year I can see which children are ready to go. The difference a year makes is extreme. I find they blossom in all areas and become confident, bossy, outgoing and really start to test their boundaries.

There's no way I would send a 4 year old to school. They're just not ready at that age Socially and emotionally and I don't care how bright they are.

It's not only kindergarten you have to worry about. It's high school aswell and teenage years. Peer pressure, having the confidence to make their own decisions, driving, drinking, bullying the list could go on and on.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reneeharry For This Useful Post:

3cats1pug  (20-08-2016),just her chameleon  (20-08-2016),NoteToSelf  (20-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Reneeharry View Post
    I strongly believe children should go to school when they turn six that year.
    I am a pre school teacher and every year I can see which children are ready to go. The difference a year makes is extreme. I find they blossom in all areas and become confident, bossy, outgoing and really start to test their boundaries.

There's no way I would send a 4 year old to school. They're just not ready at that age Socially and emotionally and I don't care how bright they are.

It's not only kindergarten you have to worry about. It's high school aswell and teenage years. Peer pressure, having the confidence to make their own decisions, driving, drinking, bullying the list could go on and on.
    Obviously all your opinion? I'm a little annoyed you speak for "all 4 year olds". My son turns 5 in Feb, my decision was thoroughly thought over and I've been talking with his kinder teachers all year. Other kids will be starting at around the same ago too at his school.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-03/at-what-age-should-children-start-school/6908308

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/a-parents-dilemma-should-your-fouryearold-start-prep/news-story/c7c8d86f6811b08fc5eb9d0187e16bfb

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 2BlueBirds For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (20-08-2016),VicPark  (20-08-2016),yadot  (20-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Delay entry to school (5/6yr)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BlueBirds View Post
    Obviously all your opinion? I'm a little annoyed you speak for "all 4 year olds". My son turns 5 in Feb, my decision was thoroughly thought over and I've been talking with his kinder teachers all year. Other kids will be starting at around the same ago too at his school.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-1...school/6908308

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vic...eb9d0187e16bfb
    Yeah all my opinion I was going to add it's up to the parent at the end of the day and obviously I can't speak for all 4 yr old etc. also not saying hey won't cope because most of them do. All I'm saying is if you wait another year the difference would be massive. You can never stop a child learning.

I'm not trying to start an argument or anything just adding my 2cents. I actually never comment on these types of threads because they get too heated for me.

My bubs was born in Jan,8 weeks early she should be a March baby. I have a choice to send her when she's just turned 5 or 6. Who knows what I'll do I've got years to decide. I'm thinking she will start when she's 6. A year is a lot at this age, so much learning and maturing happens.

I wrote my post at 3am feeding a baby sorry if it came across too opinionated!
    Last edited by Reneeharry; 20-08-2016 at 15:10.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Reneeharry For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (20-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My thoughts are this when do we stop delaying school at the moment it's 6 in a couple of years it's 7 etc etc so when will we let them go to learn there is always going to be someone younger than someone else it's a fact of life 😃

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is pre-primary (or the yr before Y1, whatever it's called in other states) not play - based in other states? In WA it's almost entirely play - based...no desks, no home readers until the 2nd half of the year (or at all depending on teacher), obviously there is a a curriculum but it's taught through play-based learning.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Delay entry to school (5/6yr)

Kindergarten in NSW , the first formal year of school is pretty full on - it's quite structured and DS could read by middle of the year , I can see where a 4 year old would struggle - we don't get home work but do have home readers - pre school in NSW is the year before school and that's play based

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Reneeharry  (20-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Reneeharry View Post
    Yeah all my opinion I was going to add it's up to the parent at the end of the day and obviously I can't speak for all 4 yr old etc. also not saying hey won't cope because most of them do. All I'm saying is if you wait another year the difference would be massive. You can never stop a child learning.

I'm not trying to start an argument or anything just adding my 2cents. I actually never comment on these types of threads because they get too heated for me.

My bubs was born in Jan,8 weeks early she should be a March baby. I have a choice to send her when she's just turned 5 or 6. Who knows what I'll do I've got years to decide. I'm thinking she will start when she's 6. A year is a lot at this age, so much learning and maturing happens.

I wrote my post at 3am feeding a baby sorry if it came across too opinionated!
    I wrote mine at around 3.30am as well. Hahaha!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 2BlueBirds For This Useful Post:

Reneeharry  (20-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BlueBirds View Post
    I wrote mine at around 3.30am as well. Hahaha!!
    Haha mum life!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I want my kids to thrive rather than cope at school in their first year so both will/have started in the year that they turn/ed 6. Neither of them would have been OK earlier