I'd go induction personally. I've had one for medical reasons at 39+1 and it was perfectly fine. One lot of gel at about 7:30am, contractions getting more regular by about 2, Erm at 3:30 and Bub born 11pm
Bare in mind an induction can be a long process too. So if you did go down that route don't leave it till the last minute. Mine was started at 6am and bubs wasn't born till mid afternoon the next day (emergency cesarean). It could have easily gone on even longer as i was only 6cm dilated when the cesarean was done.
I personally would wait to get my cervix checked, perhaps go the stretch and sweep and then let nature take its course. In saying that I've birthed without a partner and I found it liberating. I guess I would have to factor in the potential downside of induction and what support I had around me if I ended up needing it.
I had a friend who induced for convenience (inlaws were visiting from overseas at a set time to look after her eldest) and she said it was the most painful stressful birth - she regrets being induced.
Sorry OP - if my hubby was even considering putting sport over the birth of his child I would lose my ****.
@Mamasupial fwiw, I don't consider your possible induction as something done for convenience.
Having my dh as a support person for my labours was so important to me. Without him there, I would most likely have opted for something stronger than gas to get through and I doubt the process would have been as smooth.
I also think that factoring finances and prospective career enhancement when you're about to extend your family is important.
I have been induced twice and they were both positive births so I would go for the induction in a few days IF your body is starting to show the signs of being ready already. I was 40+8 and 40+4.
Did I see you mention retained placenta in your first? I had it with my first and was fearful of it happening again but thankfully it just came off normally the second time.
I would wait and not get induced. I'm a bit the same in that the birth of my children trump career and money any day of the week, so I'd expect him to stay if I had not yet had Bub.
Having said that I would induce at 10 days over. I was induced 10 days over both times (1st was just gels, 2nd was just having my waters broken) as IMO based in the research I found and was given by the hospital, any further over would have been a risk.
DD was fine but DS had the cord wrapped around his neck, if I had waited any longer than 10 days, the worse very well could have happened. And IMO the safety of my babies trump waiting past 10 days.
So it comes down to your priorities, for me personally it's in this order
1. Safe delivery of Bub (not inducing for convenience but also not going too far over)
2. DH being at the birth
3. DHs career
5. A natural (or insert any preferred birth method here) birth because - see 1. above
Last edited by A-Squared; 20-08-2016 at 09:56.
Pregnant for the first-time?
Not sure where to start? We can help!