+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Morning sickness - how sick is 'normal'?

I'm just wondering whether anyone can give advice about how sick morning sickness should make you?

I'm about 7.5 weeks pregnant and for about a week and a half I haven't really been able to get out of bed, and have only left the house for doctor appointments. I've been getting progressively sicker, and I'm at the point where I can't keep anything except for a small sip of water down.

Yesterday I threw up 17 times. Towards the end there was blood in my vomit. I was eating only bland foods (e.g plain rice, plain pasta, a potato etc), but now feel like I can't stomach anything at all. I was taking elevit morning sickness relief tablets but I gagged on one and now I can't bring myself to take them anymore. They didn't help anyway.

Is this pretty normal? My DH thinks it is probably normal but other women may just have better coping mechanisms than me. No one else knows about the pregnancy so I don't have anyone else I can ask.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Morning sickness - how sick is 'normal'?

It's sounds worse than average but yes "normal". I only had patchy nausea with minimal vomiting for 3 of my pregnancies but for one of them (my second) I was vomiting at least 15 times a day. Most of it just dry reaching and blood. I wasn't able to keep down food for weeks at a time and lived wholly on soup (which I vomited anyway but was easier to bring back up). I left bed to go to the hospital and back home basically. Lucky MIL was living with us at the time and was able to help with my [then] 1yo as I couldn't leave my room 99% of the time.

ETA. It's not because other women having better coping mechanisms than you. Just no two cases of morning sickness are the same. My mother didn't get any so refused to sympathise with me, yet she is the biggest hypochondriac I know and she thinks she is dying when ever she gets sick.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (19-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's sounds extreme to me.

The extent on my morning sickness has been nausea and occasional vomiting (like once every few weeks).

I would be going to dr. They can give you a prescription for Zofran, which can help. It is also a wafer, which I think dissolves under your tongue.

Definitely don't suffer through it. If it doesn't get better, you may need to go to hospital for fluids.

I hope you feel better soon

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lil Smurfy For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (19-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your DH sounds like a twit. How rude. I'm sorry I have no practical experience with severe morning sickness, but this sounds well and truly at the limits of tolerable.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TreeGirl For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (19-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No way, I'd see a doctor! That sounds totally horrible. I was lucky to have really mild MS, but the people I know who had bad cases were not as bad as that.

Tell your DH that it's not a competition to see who can be bravest - there is no point in suffering more than you need to. Until he's experienced it himself, he's not really in a position to judge!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Gentoo For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (19-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had hyperemesis gravidarum in both my pregnancies and experienced something very similar. Vomiting 17 times in a day to the point of having blood in it is not "normal" and has nothing to do with your coping ability. You run the risk of dehydration if it continues like this, which has serious implications for your health. Please see your doctor to discuss medication options. And don't hesitate to get a second opinion if your doctor dismisses you either.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misstrouble For This Useful Post:

amyd  (19-08-2016),MrsSS  (19-08-2016),Shoopuf  (19-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My experience with morning sickness was not as bad as that and I was miserable so I cannot imagine just how bad you must be feeling! I dry reached a fair bit and could only eat savoys and roast potato for about 16 weeks and I threw up maybe twice after trying to swallow my pregnancy vitamins.
    I would definitely have a chat with a doctor, especially considering MS can last such a long time.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Tdez For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (19-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You need to see a dr. Alternatively you could go to the hospital. After that much time not able to keep anything down you will be dehydrated.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (19-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's the more severe form of morning sickness. My mum was hospitalised with is all with it. Defo a trip to doctor needed. I was given tablets with my last but still was not as bad as u are. It should be very unpleasant bit not interfere completely with life

17. The Following User Says Thank You to natandste For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (19-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone.

I have a doctors appointment this afternoon. I don't feel like this can be especially normal, because I've known women who have managed to continue working etc during their pregnancies and I just don't see how that's possible when you're vomiting every half an hour that you're awake.

I don't think my DH is being deliberately insensitive - this is just new to both of us so we have no idea what to expect. I think maybe downplaying my symptoms might make him feel like there's nothing to be worried about, if that makes sense.

I don't know if this is related, but two days ago I noticed a swollen pea sized lump in my neck as well, that I think might be a lymph node. For the people who had severe morning sickness, did you have swollen lymph nodes also? I am going to ask the doctor about it today, but thought I'd just ask here as well in the meantime.

I'm completely miserable and I just want to feel half decent again.