+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Morning sickness - zofran?

I have morning sickness and am not coping. This is my 4th baby and it has gotten worse each time. I have 3 kids to look after and am vomiting all day. I feel like I am barely taking care of my kids. I'm taking 3 maxalon a day, which just barely takes the edge off. I'm not dehydrated, I am also drinking constantly and having around 4 hydralyte sachets per day.

I know some studies came out last year that showed zofran isnt as safe as maxalon, but has anyone been prescribed it recently for mornig sickness? I'm at the stage where I dont care about the risks anymore. I cant so this anymore and need to function. I just dont want to go to the dr for them to tell me no. 3 maxalon is the most I am able to take, & I am seriously not coping ATM. TIA for any experiences...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I took it with DS, two/three times a day for my entire pregnancy - I was vomitting during my c-section and as soon as DS and placenta was out I didn't vomit until I had gastro 2.5 years later. I literally could not have functioned without it (I had been hospitalised twice by 12 weeks). I hope things get better for you, it is the absolute worst
    eta: I moved to the USA at 19 weeks and it was much easier (and cheaper) to get.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to michellead For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (19-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Morning sickness - zofran?

I used zofran during my second pregnancy (he's 4.5 years old now). It barely took the edge off and I still ended up in hospital on Iv fluids quite a few times. If you have to take it, you have to. There may be risks (they told me it was safe when I took it so not sure what they are) but you being so sick isn't exactly the best case scenario either. Surviving is better than nothing.

ETA it didn't stop me vomiting. I vomited until 2 weeks after I gave birth, pretty consistently. I also couldn't take the wafers, they tried then at the hospital and it made me vomit straight away (maybe the sensation of it?) so I stuck to the tablets
    Last edited by Ahalfdozen; 19-08-2016 at 08:44.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 26/6/14
    Maxalon did nothing for me. Zofran was the only thing that stopped the vomiting. I found it a little cheaper when there was repeats on the prescription from my gp but cheaper again when it was prescribed and bought through the hospital. I vomited daily until ds was born and zofran was all that helped

Good luck and hopes hinge get better for you

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Me&Smooches For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Cheeesecake...

Ondansetron (trade name Zofran) is used quite extensively for morning sickness. Obviously experience varies, but the vast majority of patients report that it makes a big difference.

It comes in 4mg or 8mg wafers...you put the wafer under your tongue (sublingual), and let it dissolve. This means even if you are actively vomiting, you will still absorb the ondansetron rather than chucking it back up.

Most Pharmacies carry the generic ondansetron wafers, which are much cheaper than Zofran. Get a prescription for both 4mg and 8mg, and start with the 4mg wafers. You can take up to 32mg per day safely (and likely much more, but the studies haven't been done yet beyond 32mg). So, that's a 4mg wafer up to 8 times a day, or you can "mix and match" with the 4mg and 8mg wafers as needed.

Personally, I loved ondansetron wafers in both my pregnancies. Worked brilliantly, and quickly. Stick them in your handbag, and you don't need water to take them either, so very easy. Ondansetron doesn't cause drowsiness like metoclopramide (Maxolon) does, either.

(On a side note, ondansetron did diddly-sh!t for me when I was having chemotherapy...but worked a treat for morning sickness.)

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

Adoralicious  (21-08-2016),binnielici  (19-08-2016),cheeeeesecake  (19-08-2016),JustJaq  (19-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for your experiences. Now I just hope the dr will prescribe them for me. Im feeling so desperate. Thanks again everyone xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    I will pipe up and say I took it for DD. Maxalon did nothing but knock me out a bit. Hope you feel better soon.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (21-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dispense it every day for pregnant ladies. There have been some conflicting reports about safety in pregnancy coming out of the US, but personally I would take a small risk in the case of debilitating morning sickness. I don't see why your GP would refuse, they would already have a history of prescribing you maxalon right?
    Price wise - ask your GP to write you a private prescription for the wafers, quantity 10 with repeats. As pp mentioned start with 4mg & go to 8mg if necessary (you can't split the wafers or oral dispersing tabs) ask for generic brand & shop around for the best price.
    I've heard of sea-bands and acupuncture helping some women if those are an option to try in addition?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    What about restavit? It's over the counter and my ob said its cat a. I tried maxalon and did nothing. This does make you sleepy so start on a quarter and at night take a while and it works into the morning mostly with me..

16. The Following User Says Thank You to kim85 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for the advice. Just to follow up, the dr I saw gave me a script and was so lovely (I was unable to see my regular GP). I am feeling like a new person! Still feeling sick at times and vomiting 2 or 3 times a day, but now I am coping with it, whereas before I absolutely wasnt. It's taken enough of the sickness away so I can get through the day. ☺