+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default The 'mid-life crisis' - do you believe it's a thing?

Or do you think it's a cop-out/excuse for certain behaviours?

Discuss!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think it's pretty normal that a lot of people, at some point, suddenly realise they're getting older and go out and try something new or buy something that they've dreamt of having (however odd/strange that thing may or may not be). Or on the flip side, they go out and do something stupid. Either way, I think it's fairly normal.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (18-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Well you are starting some interesting topics Degrassi lol

If it's used as an excuse for crappy behaviour and decision making then yes it's a cop out. But I think it can be an explanation if that makes sense.

In women especially, a mid life crisis is often menopause caused by hormones. Whereas with men it's not a chemical thing, more a mental one. I would find more movement for a woman bc it may be hormonal but again, it's not an excuse.

we all get older. We get lines on our face, our body parts start to sag, we get the salt and pepper hair. Some of us have regrets and feel unfulfilled, others don't. I think it depends if it's hurting someone else. The 45 year old that freaks out and gets some botox and becomes a gym junkie? they aren't hurting anyone, more power to them. The 45 year old that joins Tinder and starts cheating bc they need the attention and blame midlife crisis? Nope, that's a cop out.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (19-08-2016),Redcorset  (18-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think when people use it as an excuse for their crap behaviour, then yep, it's a cop out.

But, I do think in a lot of people there comes a time when it does hit them, its like "oh wow, I've lived half my life" and it can be a time to reassess and maybe make changes or chase those dreams that have taken a backseat. Some people it happens way earlier, some it may never happen at all.

I look at my dad, he's so happy with his life just cruising along, I love it. He doesn't get stressed about what he should do, or what he hasn't done. He enjoys all the small things and as long as he can buy his nice beer and play golf he's set.
    Where as I look at guys the same age I work with, still working 60 hours a week, missing out on seeing their grandkids, complaining about how stressed they are and I sometimes wonder, for what? But that's a whole other topic hahah.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

Redcorset  (18-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Well you are starting some interesting topics Degrassi lol
    I just started a thread on hot chips. I'm going all out with the general chat action

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yea it's a thing but like everyone else said not an excuse for crap behaviour for both women and men.
    I think it can be a good thing sometimes, like starting to pay attention to health.
    Maybe spicing up the marriage or traveling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure if it's a mid life crisis but I turned 40 this year and just decided that my family and I came first, that I would distance myself from other people's drama and just focus on leading a life that was the best for me and my family. It isn't an attempt to be rude or anything, it's like I finally feel old enough to say I'm not a kid anymore, my kids are almost teenagers and it's full on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes - because I think I am having one! I am not having an affair or buying a sports car, it is more anxiety around turning 35 and not knowing what I want to do now with my life. All my life plans were things I wanted to do "before I turn 35". Now I am 35 and I am not sure what next. I am trying to decide between another baby (having the two I always wanted) or trying to focus more on my career to get a promotion. It is the first time i my life I don't have a 5 year plan, and it is terrifying.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I think it's a real thing. People get to an age where they take stock of their life. If they are unhappy or in satisfied they make changes and unfortunately some of the changes they make are selfish and mean to the important people in their lives. Then there are people who make changes that are positive: lose weight, take up sport, make career shifts, strengthen their relationships

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I read once that it's not uncommon for people to have a three "mid-life crises" (is that right <-- ?). It's basically just a term to describe a deeper evaluation of your life's direction.
    One in the early 20s when you're still settling into being an adult and realise leaving school and going out into the world wasn't what you expected. Or realising you are heading down the wrong path.
    One in your 40s, roughly midway through life and also through your working life. You can get a bit of a "if I don't do it now, it'll be too late" type feeling.
    Then one in your 60-70s when you're looking at retirement. You're also now empty nesting and a whole new world is opened up to you again.

Obviously this refers to career changes or moving somewhere new or other big changes. Things like cheating on your spouse and blaming it on a mid-life crisis is more or less, just being insecure about being "old" now and needing to know if you've "still got it". OR just the first thing blurted out when you get caught. (But I assume a bit of both)