+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Help! 14 month old suddenly terrified of baths

Since he was a newborn he has had a daily bath as part of his evening routine usually with his older brother. He's never loved the water but he's always tolerated them ok. Having 2 small children I havnt been able to go swimming regularly with him but when we have been he's OK as long as he just clings on to someone.
    However a week ago we moved overseas and for a couple of days were staying in a B and B without a bath so we gave him a quick shower with dh holding him. He of course hated it. Then when we arrived in the uk we got back into the routine of baths but on day 2 he was crying and upset (not unsual for him and most baths are quick clean and out as soon as he starts getting upset) but his older brother didn't appreciate the crying so pushed him which sent him over the edge into hysterics. Since then we can't get him near the bath. We have been taking him into the bathroom during the day to play with toys, encouraging him to throw them in the bath etc, putting on the tap but still he gets upset as soon as we go near the bathroom in the evening.
    Anyone else had this? What did you do as he needs to get clean?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Not sure if its the same but DS went through phases of hating bath/shower around that age. He used to scream and carry on. From memory we just persevered. He is 3.5 and is fine now.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (18-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My little one (18mths) has just gone through the same thing, I have no idea why she was so scared all of a sudden when she used to love getting in there.
    Maybe it's just a development stage, they're more aware or sensitive?

Of course I had to bath her regardless of her protests but it was always a quick dip.
    Job done and out, sobs through it all.

Anyway, I had it in mind to take a bath with her to see if that helped but I just couldn't get that time for weeks.
    I finally managed it about three weeks ago, ran a lovely hot suddy bath for both of us.
    I took her in with me and didn't do anything, just held her close for ages.
    We spent a good 15-20 minutes in there just having nice calm quiet time, focusing on her relaxing rather than being washed.
    Eventually she let me lay her back and dip her hair under. Trust restored
    It was just lovely for both of us.
    The bonus was the next time I was running a bath for her brother, she wanted to get in and she has been keen ever since

Not sure if it will help with your little fella or if you've tried it already but if not, give it a shot

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Phony For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (18-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks for the advice. Yep we did try getting in with him, dh was in the bath holding him but he was literally scrambling and clawing to get out. It's so horrid to see as I know he needs a bath but just can't see how he's going to get over it when he's totally hysterical. My mum took him swimming a few days ago and he was ok so I think I'll try that a few more times and see how things go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The days my kids don't want a bath I put them in an empty bath tub and wash them with a wet face washer and a jug of water.