Breastfeeding and Pregnancy | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Breastfeeding and Pregnancy

I have an 11 month old who I am still breast feeding and we are thinking about trying for another baby, however I am not ready to stop breast feeding my 11 month old yet.

I would love to hear others experiences on successfully continuing to breast feed whilst pregnant.

With my first who was a fair few months older I breast fed until I was about 8 weeks pregnant as I decided I had just had enough.

I have read that some babies may self wean as the taste is different?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it definitely depends on the child as neither of my girls self weaned. My first was only a baby (4.5 months) when I was pregnant with my second. I had to suppliment her with a bottle of formula as she was only 7 months when my supply took a big dive but i had colostrum in from about 22 weeks pregnant so DD1 had plenty of that (DD1was 13 months when DD2 was born) my milk came back no issues and I went on to feed both for another 10 months or so. This pregnancy my DD2 is a bit older and I'm currently 19 weeks and she is 18 months she occasionally tells me that my right side is "gucky" but still drinks it. This is the side that always had colostrum only when pregnant with her. I am finding it a bit more ouchy when she latches this time as toddlers seem to have a lazier latch then babies but my supply has been more stable then for my first, of course I have less demand for a toddler than I did for a baby. Anyway I didn't know a thing about breastfeeding when pregnant until it happened. I joined some tandem feeding groups on Facebook (when I used to have Facebook) and they were a wealth of advice. Also did lots of reading from kellymom that is a fantastic website.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Soon2be4 For This Useful Post:

PinkPrint  (31-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    l fell pregnant with DD3 and DD4 whilst I was still breastfeeding and they were both 10 months old respectively, so I wasn't ready to wean them. I must admit I struggled big time as I was sick with m/s and the sensation of nursing made it worse. That said, I persevered (I still don't know how) and both times they eventually self-weaned at around 13 and 15 months because of the taste of the milk (I'm assuming) as my supply was normal etc.

I have been told the milk can get a 'bitter' taste, so sometimes if can put them off it. I figured this was the case as the longer I went on in pregnancy, the fussier both got on the breast and the only other time I knew that type of 'fussiness' was when I had my period. I wasn't pregnant with DD4 whilst breastfeeding and she self-weaned at 2 plus years! So I figured with the other two it was definitely a case of the milk changing in taste.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

PinkPrint  (31-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I fell pregnant when DD was 7 months old. I had no idea I was pregnant. Took 6 years to have her so never ever thought I could fall pregnant easily, especially while breastfeeding.

Over a period of about 3 weeks DD started to gradually breastfeed less and less...until one day she refused to breastfeed completely. Wouldn't have a bar of it. She went on formula from then on. So in my case she self weaned.

I had read that the taste of breast milk can change when pregnant so I thought I'd do a pregnancy test, just to rule it out. Lo and behold I was pregnant!! (7 weeks at that point)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Angelhearts For This Useful Post:

PinkPrint  (31-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I fell pregnant when my oldest was 11 months. I breastfed until she was 16 months and honestly the braxton hicks were so bad at that point. Thankfully she self weaned at 16 months. I assume also because the milk tasted different.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SookiLala For This Useful Post:

PinkPrint  (31-08-2016)

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was around 7 months pregnant with number 4 when i stopped feeding dd3 who would have been around 16 months it was for my own reasons i just felt over it and too smoothered

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bunkx For This Useful Post:

PinkPrint  (31-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My kids are 17 months apart. My first baby was so young when I found out I was pregnant with my second so honestly I never considered weaning. I fed throughout my pregnancy and continue to tandem feed now. It really wasn't so hard. The most challenging thing I found was having random family or other people comment negatively about the fact I was feeding while being pregnant and that I had no plans to stop. I found it really helpful to join a FB page that has heaps of mums who tandem feed. I also personally found it helpful to set firm boundaries for my oldest. He only fed at set times. I hear others talking about feeling overwhelmed by feeding while they are pregnant by I never felt like this because my DS and I found the right balance for us. I am very proud of what I believe I have given to both my kids. I feel that I have done something that others may not have done purely because I know it's best for us. If anyone is thinking about feeding two babies and needs some encouragement please feel free to pm me. There were times in my pregnancy when I really wanted to hear some positivity about my choices. Xxx

13. The Following User Says Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

PinkPrint  (31-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I weaned my 3yo when I was 37 weeks pregnant we were only feeding once a day during the pregnancy

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueLips For This Useful Post:

PinkPrint  (31-08-2016)