Pelvis is on strike .. SPD advice needed | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Pelvis is on strike .. SPD advice needed

I'm 28 weeks pregnant and as the title suggests, I'm suffering with SPD. I've had this before in my previous pregnancy from 16 weeks so I consider myself lucky that I've had 2 trimesters SPD-free but omg.. I am in absolute agony. I can barely walk right now. I've been shuffling around like a penguin. I don't remember it being this bad last time.. I never bothered going to physio last time but I should really have gone.. this time around I probably don't have a choice..

I'm wondering what kind of things a physio can do to help..? I'm already seeing a chiro for back problems once a month, and I have a belly belt.. What else can I do?

I would also really love to hear about what worked for other people, what gestation were you and how was Bub sitting? Mine is currently transverse. Should I be expecting the pain to be worse once he's head down?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a preexisting lower back problem and I got severe SPD in the first trimester and had it throughout as well as my back pain. I'm now 13 months postpartum and have severe osteitis pubis as a result of SPD. I've been given a 1-2 year recovery timeframe but I understand most SPD cases resolve quickly after birth. I was just unlucky.
    The only thing that helped me were the SRC pregnancy shorts. They're expensive but I wore them every day. I could barely walk without them. I still use them on my bad days and the difference is phenomenal.
    I tried physio but limiting movement, especially walking, is the recommendation from my musculoskeletal physician.
    My DD was head down.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (17-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    I had a preexisting lower back problem and I got severe SPD in the first trimester and had it throughout as well as my back pain. I'm now 13 months postpartum and have severe osteitis pubis as a result of SPD. I've been given a 1-2 year recovery timeframe but I understand most SPD cases resolve quickly after birth. I was just unlucky.
    The only thing that helped me were the SRC pregnancy shorts. They're expensive but I wore them every day. I could barely walk without them. I still use them on my bad days and the difference is phenomenal.
    I tried physio but limiting movement, especially walking, is the recommendation from my musculoskeletal physician.
    My DD was head down.
    Oh my god that sounds bad, the PP recovery!! I feel for you! Last time around the SPD literally disappeared as soon as he was born.

I am going to buy the shorts tomorrow on your recommendation!!!

Thank you

5. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (18-08-2016)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Ask your midwife or ob about physio- I didn't realise with my first that I could access free physio through the hospital. A physio can show you some good exercises to get some relief, and can do some light massage as well. Apart from the SRC shorts the best piece of advice I was given was to go swimming. It helped immensely. The key is to barely move your legs- put a kickboard between your knees if necessary. Swimming gave me relief because of the feeling of weightlessness and also helped keep my spine in good alignment, as well as keeping me relatively fit when I couldn't walk around much.
    Oh! And another great tip was to buy some condoms, fit with water and freeze and stick them down the front of your pants. It works sooo well! You will feel ridiculous doing it, and buying condoms while heavily pregnant but the relief is so worth it!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ugh, 2 years on and I still get the pain after walking too much.
    The soft ice packs are pretty good too, after you've been walking, they can mould around the... pubis?
    I had it from around 30 weeks I think, DS was head down the whole time.

Thanks for the swimming tip @FearlessLeader, I'll have to try that next pregnancy.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Swimming and ice packs! Check!

Thanks
    Reviews
    SRC Shorts - where can I get them from? Any ideas? I'm in Sydney. I can buy them online but not sure how comfortable they will be or the right size.. So I would prefer to try some on first.

Thanks
    Reviews
    T
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    SRC Shorts - where can I get them from? Any ideas? I'm in Sydney. I can buy them online but not sure how comfortable they will be or the right size.. So I would prefer to try some on first.
    I bought mine from a women's physio. You should be able to find them at a women's physio near you and be able to try them on

13. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (18-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    I'm sure I remember seeing them at a shop in the RPA medical centre, it had heaps of medical/physio kind of devices for sale or hire.
    Sorry that's totally vague, I'll see if I can find it online!

edit - I think it was just a fancy pharmacy, you could try the larger pharmacies near you?

edit again - the website list stockists. http://www.srchealth.com/stockists/s...r=&distance=15
    I'm going to get some too as soon as I'm pregnant.
    Last edited by deku; 19-08-2016 at 09:50.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (19-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by deku View Post
    I'm sure I remember seeing them at a shop in the RPA medical centre, it had heaps of medical/physio kind of devices for sale or hire.
    Sorry that's totally vague, I'll see if I can find it online!

edit - I think it was just a fancy pharmacy, you could try the larger pharmacies near you?

edit again - the website list stockists. http://www.srchealth.com/stockists/s...r=&distance=15
    I'm going to get some too as soon as I'm pregnant.
    Thanks! Yes I actually thought some pharmacies might have them. there's one in a medical centre near my work that I think sells lots of physio stuff.. I'll check it out. Thank you!