Home decor/decorating - share your tips! | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Home decor/decorating - share your tips!

Is anyone else clueless like me when it comes to having a put-together room? I would describe myself as knowing what looks good, but in practical terms not being able to deliver

I see other people's houses, like their living spaces, and it just seems to work. My house is a mish-mash of furniture and wares that don't really tie together. I don't have many knick-knacks or trinkets as it just makes for more dusting!

Anyway, I'd kind of like to be a bit less clueless and work towards having a more attractively decorated home environment.

For those who are passionate about home decorating or have nice looking interiors - what are your tricks/tips/secrets? Do you have a decorating theme as such?

Contributions from anyone (the clueless, the stylish, and anyone in between) welcome

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (17-08-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (17-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Following because we must be the same person Degrassi!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to HeavenBlue For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi  (17-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I love looking through the pics on Houzz - yes, some are obviously unattainable but I get ideas on how to place things etc. I love looking at the IKEA photo gallery - really family friendly ideas. I also follow a few DIY interior designers on Instagram for ideas.

I've read a few threads on home Reno/decorating and @A-Squared has amazing ideas.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to wobbleyhorse For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Go and sticky beak at some open houses for sale it's great to look on line and in magazines but it's better seeing the ideas in real life, we've got tons of ideas from the property stylists and they are always up to date with new trends so stalk some nice houses on line and go sticky beak!
    It's definitely best to pick your "style" it doesn't have to be followed 100% but it gives you a base - we've chosen hamptons/French provincial for our house Reno - grey walks, white skirting boards, timber floors, White plantation shutters etc
    Plus go to the high end homewares shops ( papaya, pottery barn etc ) and you'll get great ideas on styling - take photos of their table setups and go find cheaper items!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi  (17-08-2016),TheGooch  (17-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The way I decorate is to pick colour and shape themes.

The "rule" with colour is 60/30/10. So pick one colour to be your majority colour, about 60% of the colour in your room, then 30% in another complementary colour, and 10% in a feature bright colour to add just a few splashes here and there. I tend to use neutral colours for walls, floors and large furnishings, then add my colour in with decor - rugs, cushions, paintings, vases, a feature chair or buffet cabinet etc. I'll also carry my majority colour across to other rooms to tie them all together, but may change the minor colours, to add a bit of difference. Eg. Lounge room have Navy blue as the majority with grey & yellow, then bedroom have navy with grey and acqua, etc.

With shape, I try to keep a similar shape theme throughout the house. So for example round mirrors, round vases, round wall shelves, a round coffee table, artwork with a circular pattern, etc. Not overwhelmingly so, but just a few feature peices to carry the theme across rooms to tie it together.

I also find magazines & instragram to be great for inspiration.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Following because I'm a total dud in this department. I still have pieces of hand me down furniture from when I first moved out of home. Then we combined two houses when DH and I got married and yup total mess!

Add in moving into a home that has about 1/3 the square metres of the home we lived in up North and the few pieces we have bought new are WAY too large for the space.

Anyway I would love a home that looked 'together'.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbleyhorse View Post
    I love looking through the pics on Houzz - yes, some are obviously unattainable but I get ideas on how to place things etc. I love looking at the IKEA photo gallery - really family friendly ideas. I also follow a few DIY interior designers on Instagram for ideas.

I've read a few threads on home Reno/decorating and @A-Squared has amazing ideas.
    Awww thanks!

Are there any rooms you need particular help with?

I use everything every day for inspiration. A little bit of this and a little bit of that.

I usually like to stick to neutrals (think black, whites, greys, beige, greige) for walls and sofas and then add colour through window coverings, artworks, rugs, cushions, soft furnishings really.

I always use curtains. Some people find them a bit old school but it's a great way to add warmth to any room and very practical too.

With rugs, bigger is best, the mistake so many people make is using rugs that are too small - which I get as decent looking rugs cost a lot, especially if you want a big one. My rule is, always have one big enough to go under the front legs of your sofas and arm chairs. Use a rug under your bed, so it takes up the bottom 3rd of your bed or the bottom 2/3 and so it's big enough to step out on from both sides.

Colour schemes, I'd recommend getting a colour wheel and using that to find colour combinations. This website explains the different types of 'colour harmonies' http://www.sensationalcolor.com/unde...9#.V7Pv28hlbCQ and a colour wheel can help you see all the different combinations. You. An get a small one for about $17 and it's very much worth it.

My own style is transitional, it's a mix of traditional and contemporary. I hate minimalist spaces, I find them cold and unwelcoming.

With regards to having 'decorations' I'd advise to keep things simple. Adding accessories to a room is easier than you think. A word to remember is vignette (for future Google searches), here's some tips on creating your vignettes. http://www.hgtv.com/design/decoratin...iful-vignettes

I use houzz the app for inspiration. You can save pictures you like - just like Pinterest but all houses and when you save a bunch of images and open up your albums you tend to start seeing patterns of things you like. You'll see reoccurring colours, patterns, styles etc eg you may end up liking blues without even realising it!

PS: I wouldn't recommend turning up to open houses if you aren't thinking of buying the house, poor home owners get enough random 'lookers' who aren't even thinking of buying their house traipsing through their houses as it is.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

I've thought of one more for now and that is don't ever buy furniture 'packages' from cheaper retailers. Their products are okay, but it's boring and ugly if your bed, bedsides, tall boy and wardrobe all look the same.

A tufted headboard with glass and black metal bedsides and a wooden tall boy with black handles can still work because the bed head colour can match your other furnishings, the black on the side tables then ties in with the black handles on the timber tall boy.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH just doesn't see the point in spending money to get nice, matching furniture, when we've still got perfectly serviceable, paint-splattered, completely mismatched, student-priced furniture from 15 years ago. He especially doesn't see the point now that we have a 3 yo and a 1 yo dedicated to the art of breaking and scratching everything we own.

I'd love a minimalist interior, but it's clear that the minimalist theme would have to extend to booting the three of them out of the house. Sigh....

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gentoo For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (17-08-2016),Mod-Degrassi  (17-08-2016),YeahYeahYeah  (17-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by binnielici View Post
    Following because I'm a total dud in this department. I still have pieces of hand me down furniture from when I first moved out of home. Then we combined two houses when DH and I got married and yup total mess!

Add in moving into a home that has about 1/3 the square metres of the home we lived in up North and the few pieces we have bought new are WAY too large for the space.

Anyway I would love a home that looked 'together'.
    I hear you - we've got a mixture of modern, basic & country-look timber. It does not work 😩

I think if I have any hope I'll need to get rid of a few pieces and get new stuff.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (17-08-2016)