+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    This is even more so why the system needs to change IMO. It shouldn't be up to other parents' decisions to determine the age range of the first year of PS, it should be policy and it needs to be consistent.
    The parents are all following the policy. You are choosing to send your child at 4 and that is the policy. So is sending a child who 5.5. It's all the same policy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    The parents are all following the policy. You are choosing to send your child at 4 and that is the policy. So is sending a child who 5.5. It's all the same policy.
    Exactly, But IMO the policy needs to change.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Exactly, But IMO the policy needs to change.
    What changes would you like to see?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    It's actually very rare to have an 18 month age gap and as a parent who also happens to be a primary school teacher, I am glad I got the choice to keep 2 of my kids home another year as opposed to other states where I wouldn't have had a choice. The fact remains that still only a very small percentage of parents keep their child home another year, vast majority of parents send their child to school the year they are eligible to start.
    In Vic the maximum gap is 1year and 4 months.
    We have a very small school and my son missed out on prep last year by 3 days but even if he was eligible I would have kept him back. In that year group there were 4 kids and of the 2 boys one was 14 months older than him. Such a big difference when there are only a handful of kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    What changes would you like to see?
    I mentioned it before. 1 cut off and no option to delay or send early unless there are learning issues, ASD etc. I'd like it to be 5 either at 1 January or 1 April (so 5 before term 2).

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (18-08-2016),Shebes  (18-08-2016),yadot  (18-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I mentioned it before. 1 cut off and no option to delay or send early unless there are learning issues, ASD etc. I'd like it to be 5 either at 1 January or 1 April (so 5 before term 2).
    Totally agree with one cut off and no exceptions bar ASD and other diagnosed issues.

BUT for me 5 is too young it should be 6.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (18-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default What age to start school?

I really don't mind if it's 4 going on 5 or 5 going on 6 as long as the kids are roughly same age and the schooling is age appropriate.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (18-08-2016),babyno1onboard  (18-08-2016),VicPark  (18-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default What age to start school?

And if it's going to be later rather than earlier I wish they'd have more easily accessible/affordable/universal preschool program so that all kids are starting with roughly the same preparation. I think the longer you leave it those who don't attend any formal education before hand risk falling even further behind as other kids have had an extra year or two of preschool/daycare.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 18-08-2016 at 15:29.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (18-08-2016),VicPark  (18-08-2016),yadot  (18-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went to school in Vic. Taught in WA and Vic and had a child in school in both states.

I loved the WA system of Kindy (2.5days PW, non compulsory) being part of school, then full time pre primary being more play based compared to what I see in prep in Vic. Students get sent based on their birthday with pretty much no exceptions.

However prior to the national curriculum rollout, WA curriculum was 'behind' by around 12 months in terms of what they expect kids to know and do. I believe QLD curriculum was even further behind (another state people here are saying has rigid entry ages).

Based on my observations l also saw schools in WA have larger class sizes but more fundigo to ed support staff (pre primary classes have a full time assistant, more special needs support staff). Teachers are paid more and have lower "on top of teaching" expectations - I definitely had a lighter workload over in WA.

So there are lots of variables to start with when analysing student performance data (then there is the whole consistency of collection of that data as well).

Unfortunately for WA I don't think the data would show academic benefits to their system. I believe this wu, to throw in another variable, I observed over in WA an endemic issue with parent and student lack of value in schooling. How can you motivate a child to give a stuff about how they go at school when they are surrounded by adults on 120k in the mines who didn't pass year 11, but their 4 year university trained teacher starts on half that much? The number of times a primary age child replied "what's the point? My dad says I don't need to do well at school" was ridiculous. It is almost impossible to identify a large-scale cause=effect when it comes to education outcomes as children do not exist in a void.

Scandinavian countries have a fascinatingly different economic system. For anyone applying a blanket "they're doing school right" system praise I'd highly recommend doing some deeper research into their economic system on the whole.

Last time I checked (albeit fleetingly as I place little value on OECD education rankings) the countries ranked above nordic countries are asian countries with generally a 5-6yo starting age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm in Victoria. My son will be turning 5 in Feb and he is ready to start. The kinder teacher said he is more ready than not and the school said there will be others around the same age group starting. I couldn't imagine him home another year, he is so ready to learn. He is already reading/sounding out 3 letter words, counting to 100 and socially he is confident. (I haven't pushed learning, he has shown an interest and just picked it up.)He also has an older brother so that helps. If anything, he may benefit from an extra term of kinder, but not another whole year.
    Last edited by 2BlueBirds; 18-08-2016 at 20:30.