+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I would think a July birthday is mostly a no-brainer. Few would start a kid in the first year of school when they don't turn 5 until July?
    Not my experience. My son is one of five boys in his class with a July birth and he is the only one not going next year. I'm from a family of teachers - all but me are primary and this is not unusual so I wouldn't say we are in 'no-brainer' territory

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    I'd guess there's a higher rate of parents sending kids as early as they can in lower socioeconomic areas to avoid costs of daycare for another year.

My personal opinion is the rule should be kids start the year they turn 6. No random mid year dates.

Although I would prefer the start age to be 6 turning 7 that won't happen here.
    Possibly but we would be classed as a higher socio-economic area and this still happens. I think some may still be the financial comparison but some are so eager to see their child excel in an academic setting and believe this to be the case

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    Same in SA. The year before Primary School they attend Kindy's which are pretty much all Public Funded (unless you go to the one linked to your private primary school). DD goes 2 days a week and it costs $400 a term. She will go to the public primary school linked to the kindy.

I'm shocked this isn't the same everywhere else.

The good thing about this is that they assess the individual kids and I'm sure if there are many that just aren't ready who are at the younger end they will suggest to hold them back. But they really do intervene in term 1 with any concerns and help with supporting school readiness. Someone who holds their kid back from our kindy system therefore wouldn't benefit from this, they would just not be at kindy as the parent has already decided to hold the kid back.

Those who start at 4 turning 5 aren't starting early, I really hate the term early starter, they start when they allowed to and in line with the system, it's the kids who don't start the year they are eligible who are late starters, not the other way around.
    I'm talking about the grey area 'July starters'. They are early starters because the technical cut-off is June. And I've found that a lot of kindys and schools will still just 'go with what the parents want'. Assessing them for school readiness is a bit of a joke when you see the kids that get accepted and really shouldn't have been

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    No. It's not for no reason. If anything, my 2 who are in school already are the odd ones out being older than their classmates. But I'm a primary school teacher. I'm very aware of the demands of the first year of school and I'm glad I waited. I'm actually feeling sad for my youngest who is a December baby because she will only just be 5 when she starts.

I find it interesting that the people getting defensive about parents using their right to send their children to school later are the ones who sent their children or are planning to send their children at 4.
    I'm not getting defensive, my DD is a second week in March baby and I've deemed her as an individual to be suitable for school. But I'm annoyed at the fact parents can choose to send their kids 'late' and all of a sudden my DD who is suitable for school at 4 turning 5 1 month later seems behind compared to those who were held back

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'm not getting defensive, my DD is a second week in March baby and I've deemed her as an individual to be suitable for school. But I'm annoyed at the fact parents can choose to send their kids 'late' and all of a sudden my DD who is suitable for school at 4 turning 5 1 month later seems behind compared to those who were held back
    Your right to send your child to school at 4 shouldn't trump the right of other parents to not send their child at that age. They have a choice and if they don't want to send their child to school at 4, they are not breaking any rules.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    I'm not saying my right to send her in the year she is deemed suitable to trump the rights of holding a kid back.

I'm comfortable with her going at 4 even if there are kids who are 18 months older. I just feel bad for the kids who are in the same boat when their parents feel forced to keep their kids back until the year after they're deemed suitable because they worry about their kids being behind socially. Especially those who can't afford to keep their kids at home.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Green Cheese  (18-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I don't get the financial argument. Sure Childcare is expensive but they would have already been paying Childcare fees in previous years and budgeted for that. I had 3 in daycare at one stage for 12 months and my eldest could've started school that year here in NSW at aged 4 being born in May so I could've only had 2 in daycare but that's not the right reason to send your child to school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm not saying my right to send her in the year she is deemed suitable to trump the rights of holding a kid back.

I'm comfortable with her going at 4 even if there are kids who are 18 months older. I just feel bad for the kids who are in the same boat when their parents feel forced to keep their kids back until the year after they're deemed suitable because they worry about their kids being behind socially. Especially those who can't afford to keep their kids at home.
    I honestly don't think parents who hold kids back feel 'forced' to do so. It's about judging whether your child is ready for school when they are 4, or when they are 5. And I believe if finances were a major concern, they would be the ones sending their children when they are 4, not waiting it out another year.

I think for some families, the decision to send their child to school at 4 IS about saving money, and criticising other parents who 'hold back' their children makes them feel more comfortable about their own decision (please note I'm not accusing you of this).

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (18-08-2016),AdornedWithCats  (18-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    I honestly don't think parents who hold kids back feel 'forced' to do so. It's about judging whether your child is ready for school when they are 4, or when they are 5. And I believe if finances were a major concern, they would be the ones sending their children when they are 4, not waiting it out another year.

I think for some families, the decision to send their child to school at 4 IS about saving money, and criticising other parents who 'hold back' their children makes them feel more comfortable about their own decision (please note I'm not accusing you of this).
    This is even more so why the system needs to change IMO. It shouldn't be up to other parents' decisions to determine the age range of the first year of PS, it should be policy and it needs to be consistent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I don't get the financial argument. Sure Childcare is expensive but they would have already been paying Childcare fees in previous years and budgeted for that. I had 3 in daycare at one stage for 12 months and my eldest could've started school that year here in NSW at aged 4 being born in May so I could've only had 2 in daycare but that's not the right reason to send your child to school.
    I guess for some families childcare is a massive stretch financially to begin with. Then when their child starts school it's like they are free of the financial burden of paying fees. I can totally see why people look forward to their child starting school for that reason.

I do completely agree that it is not a reason to push your child into school when they are 4 if you are not really confident that they are ready though.

My DS could have started school this year - instead I have chosen to send him to preschool 3 days a week costing me over 6K for the year. It's barely affordable, but it's the best preparation I can give him for school next year. No way was he ready at the start of this year.