+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it depends on the child DS was a mid year in take child for school so he started just after his 5th bday. The 18 months he did of reception did him the world of good. It's sucks that in SA we no longer do this. So new DS will be starting school when they are 5.5yrs old order if they are super ready they will be 4.5yrs old. I was 4.5 yrs back in the early 80's.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    This is one of the reasons I would like to see preschool/pre-prep (the year before school) govt funded. It gives the kids who are bright some time to have the grey matter working, and the kids who are struggling to develop skills like holding a pencil, motor skills in a non pressure environment. Then make the rule they have to turn 6 the first year of school. If your child is high functioning, pre school/pre prep is an outlet with uni educated early childhood teachers to develop skills.

Both my older 2 kids went to pre school, and I noticed most ended up going to the local private school. I believe bc pre school can be pricey. When my 2nd went we were low income (we are on significantly more now) and I was paying over $100 a fortnight for 2 days a week without any CL subsidisation (it's council run so we can't claim)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    This is one of the reasons I would like to see preschool/pre-prep (the year before school) govt funded. It gives the kids who are bright some time to have the grey matter working, and the kids who are struggling to develop skills like holding a pencil, motor skills in a non pressure environment. Then make the rule they have to turn 6 the first year of school. If your child is high functioning, pre school/pre prep is an outlet with uni educated early childhood teachers to develop skills.

Both my older 2 kids went to pre school, and I noticed most ended up going to the local private school. I believe bc pre school can be pricey. When my 2nd went we were low income (we are on significantly more now) and I was paying over $100 a fortnight for 2 days a week without any CL subsidisation (it's council run so we can't claim)
    Preschool here is gov rebated by childcare rebates ended up cheaper than childcare but I didn't want send DD/DS there then move them if we went public school. Won't they get attatched friends? I can't afford 12k a tear in fees 😂

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    What state are you in? In NSW it's the year before school. There are 2 classifications in NSW, one is a private pre school type, and you can access childcare rebates. Then there are non-for-profit ones, which tend to be cheaper per day, but given that, you can't access the CCR/CCB. So they actually work out dearer in the end.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (18-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

This is exactly how it is in WA - govt funded pre-school...I don't know why the other states don't do the same. There is private 3yo kindy available at a cost...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    Personally, I would not send my child until they were 5 turning 6, no matter how ready they were at 4 for the early school years. It's not the early school years that worry me. It's later on. I know in my older children's years the cracks are showing with the younger kids when it comes to maturity, and the age difference becomes really apparent. Socially, it then becomes a struggle. There's no way of predicting how mature your child will be at 10,11,12,13 etc. when they're 4.
    This is where my concern is. I'm not that worried about the early years, although most evidence supports a later starting age especially when looking at the results coming out of scandanavia. However I was the youngest in my class and my first year of school was 36 years ago so it's not a new thing. But at 15 many friends where 16 and 17. Their older siblings where 18 and 19. Hence my first boyfriend at 15, being my BFFs olders brothers BFF who was 18 ( and I now appriciate why Mum freaked out a bit!). DS2 would be 4 years 10m, DD was 5 years 9m. Quite a difference.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    What state are you in? In NSW it's the year before school. There are 2 classifications in NSW, one is a private pre school type, and you can access childcare rebates. Then there are non-for-profit ones, which tend to be cheaper per day, but given that, you can't access the CCR/CCB. So they actually work out dearer in the end.
    Pre schools are subsidised in NSW. But it's only a small amount and only for children going to school the following year. Some 3 year olds are subsidised (disadvantaged children etc.) and whilst you can't claim the rebate, the ccb is still available for pre schools.

The biggest barrier for my children is the preschool hours. Only my eldest went to preschool but my other 2 will only have access to daycare because I'm working 3 days and can't access the preschool my daughter went to because of work hours.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Here's one...

Australia currently ranks 14th in the world in education.

Every single country that ranks above us has a school starting age of at least 6, some 7 or even 8.
    And that has everything to do with starting age and nothing to do with funding and the actual education system and strategies implemented?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I wonder if there is a correlation between areas with a higher percentage of parents who delay sending their kids to school and areas with lower childhood vaccination rates?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

amyd  (18-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a high school teacher, and sometimes I don't think early age is a problem until later grades so young children may appear to be doing well currently but less so as they progress through the grades. I'm yet to see an early starter excel and I have seen many students who either started early or were accelerated in a gifted program completely flounder in middle/senior school - boys especially. People need to take into account more than boredom at kindy because it's a problem that can't really be rectified once the child is on the formal education conveyor belt. My son is a July birth so we have a choice - I'm going for two years of kindy and play based learning, an extra year of social maturity and real child experiences because I know there are no negatives to this decision whereas if I make the call to send him early, there may be.