+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmmmm
    I know in WA PrePrimary (Foundation) is compulsory. It is for when a child is 5 by mid year. If you enroll your child I know schools here will put them in a grade according to age. At my school the school decides if a child stays down to repeat and this is usually in consultation with teacher, parents and school psychologist. Not just parents choice about what they feel is 'right'

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sarahd80 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (17-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default What age to start school?

Yeah I guess it's a combination of both. Yes the system allows that but so do parents. But with a different system, it would no longer be a choice.

Someone should start a petition on change.org to change it to the same date in each state (my recommendation is 1 April so all kids turn 5 by the end of term 1) so this is no longer a problem.

Any takers...?
    Last edited by A-Squared; 17-08-2016 at 14:37.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (17-08-2016),babyno1onboard  (17-08-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (17-08-2016),sajimum  (17-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Our school has a cut off of 31 March - we've only got 11 months max difference in age in DS kindy class , 2 boys turned 5 at the beginning of the year ( feb and March) the rest are all turning 6 during the year

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (17-08-2016),sajimum  (17-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    Yeah I guess it's a combination of both. Yes the system allows that but so do parents. But with a different system, it would no longer be a choice.

Someone should start a petition on change.org to change it to the same date in each state (my recommendation is 1 April so all kids turn 5 by the end of term 1) so this is no longer a problem.

Any takers...?
    I would like them to change it so that kids need to be 5 before they start!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (17-08-2016),just her chameleon  (17-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    For us it more came down to our child himself and what happened at our particular school. I don't know of any students that started at 5 turning 6. They all started at 4 turning 5. Including my son and all the faculties children. We do run in only composite classes though. So my son is currently in 1st grade, in a k-2 class. So he has kids 12 months younger in the kindy and 12 months older for 2nd grade.
    I have my pre-enrolment interview coming up for my 4.5 year old (turns 5 at New Years). He is ASD so our plan with him was to get him as academically and socially ready as we can with "hope" to start him next year with his friend the same age but knowing that if he isn't quite ready, we have an extra year buffer that we can keep sending him to preschool. But again, sending him next year is what would help him "fit in" the most, both academically and socially with his peers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by sajimum View Post
    I would like them to change it so that kids need to be 5 before they start!
    why? Just because one kid who is 4 years 11 months might not be ready doesnt mean the next kid who is 4 years 11 months might not be.

Let's school to the kid, not to a philosophy.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (18-08-2016),KitiK  (17-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Personally, I would not send my child until they were 5 turning 6, no matter how ready they were at 4 for the early school years. It's not the early school years that worry me. It's later on. I know in my older children's years the cracks are showing with the younger kids when it comes to maturity, and the age difference becomes really apparent. Socially, it then becomes a struggle. There's no way of predicting how mature your child will be at 10,11,12,13 etc. when they're 4.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

giveitago  (17-08-2016),lilypily  (18-08-2016),RmumR  (17-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    why? Just because one kid who is 4 years 11 months might not be ready doesnt mean the next kid who is 4 years 11 months might not be.

Let's school to the kid, not to a philosophy.
    There needs to be a cut off somewhere and I think research shows that later is generally better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    Personally, I would not send my child until they were 5 turning 6, no matter how ready they were at 4 for the early school years. It's not the early school years that worry me. It's later on. I know in my older children's years the cracks are showing with the younger kids when it comes to maturity, and the age difference becomes really apparent. Socially, it then becomes a struggle. There's no way of predicting how mature your child will be at 10,11,12,13 etc. when they're 4.
    If there are cracks and differences in maturity is that because someone sent their kid too early (in line with 'old' practices) or because there has been an increasing trend/ bracket creep in sending kids later?

Whose fault is the widening gap in maturity levels?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

yadot  (17-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    If there are cracks and differences in maturity is that because someone sent their kid too early (in line with 'old' practices) or because there has been an increasing trend/ bracket creep in sending kids later?

Whose fault is the widening gap in maturity levels?
    I didn't say anyone was at fault. I said that 'this is what I'd do, and this is why.' Research has shown time and time again that kids do better at school if they start school when they're older, not younger, so whilst the trend in our generations may have been to send your kid off to school as soon as they could if they were ready at 4, research has now shown there is much more to it than that...personally, I'd like to see the cut off age change so a child must be 5 before starting school, but as that hasn't happened yet I would choose to hold off if it was my child. What you choose to do is up to you. And I actually said nothing about an 18 month age gap...I have kids born at the end of the year, and so they are in the 'younger age category' by default, but they're still 5-6months older than some of their peers...and even that is enough to cause social changes. Like it or not, the kids thst start school turning 5 that year and not 6 are the minority, so when the changes in social maturity become apparent and cause issues at an older age, there's not many in their situation to go hang out with. From what I have witnessed (and experienced myself as a younger person in my year), it's isolating. Of course people will have positive stories to share, but I would rather a year of boredom at 4 than the potential for 6+ years of social isolation at a later age due to a lack of maturity.