+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Totally depends on the child. My DD is a march baby too and she will be 5 in term 1 still, so March isn't too bad.

Her kindy has been great in assessing where kids are at and working with us to work on areas she's a bit behind, but there are also 5 year olds at her kindy that have things to work on too.

The only reason there's an 18 month gap I think is more because other parents hold their kids back Not because a 4, really close to turning 5 year old starts in the year they're supposed to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default What age to start school?

Quote Originally Posted by giveitago View Post
    Socially i wanted her to be confident and self aware and capable.

I also dont want her being the 14yo when there's a lot of kids almost 16.
    This is just perpetuating the age gap problem it's the parents who hold their kids back, not the parents who send their kids the year they're deemed old enough to go that causes this issue.

Well that's only because of the ridiculous mid year cut offs in most states. I personally think there should be 1 intake a year and kids have to be 5 as at 1 January that year. These May/June\July cut offs are fraught with issues.

This way there would only ever be 1 year max difference between each child.
    Last edited by A-Squared; 17-08-2016 at 13:42.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (17-08-2016),Foxy  (17-08-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (17-08-2016),smallpotatoes  (17-08-2016),VicPark  (17-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I'm confused. I know different rules apply for different states but some of these responses are from nsw where I thought you had to send them if they were turning 5 before July?
    I know my 30 jan baby will be going just as she's about to turn 5 and I'm surprised to find she might be going with kids who are over a year older which is a massive difference? (ASD excluding).

I wish they sort out this mess, and have a blanket rule so there is no confusion/turmoil about when children start attending, and a maximum 1 year age gap.

Someone HAS to be the youngest, I understand people don't want it to be their child, but honestly when does it end?

Eta: you posted basically the sane thing as me first @A-Squared lol!!

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (17-08-2016),AdornedWithCats  (17-08-2016),babyno1onboard  (17-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    I'm confused. I know different rules apply for different states but some of these responses are from nsw where I thought you had to send them if they were turning 5 before July?
    I know my 30 jan baby will be going just as she's about to turn 5 and I'm surprised to find she might be going with kids who are over a year older which is a massive difference? (ASD excluding).

I wish they sort out this mess, and have a blanket rule so there is no confusion/turmoil about when children start attending, and a maximum 1 year age gap.

Someone HAS to be the youngest, I understand people don't want it to be their child, but honestly when does it end?
    I agree. And people are talking about sending their child early but that's not correct. They will be sending their child as per the government assigned cut-off dates. My DD was born a couple of days before the cut off (late June) so will be the youngest in her class. That's fine, someone has to be the youngest but I don't like the idea of kids being 18 months older. It should be 12 months maximum.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (17-08-2016),flowers21  (17-08-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (17-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Eta: you posted basically the sane thing as me first @A-Squared lol!!
    This is the rule in NSW:

Your child can start Kindergarten at the beginning of the school year if they turn five on or before 31 July in that year. By law, all children must be enrolled in school by their sixth birthday.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (17-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    As far as i know the only 'rule' is that a child legally needs to be enrolled in school by their 6th birthday.
    Meaning those born in the first half of the year before the 'cut offs' can choose to send their child at 4 turning 5 or 5 turning 6.

Personally for my child im choosing the latter.

Its neither parents choosing to send kids younger or older that causes the issue its the ridiculousness of mid year cut off dates and inconsistency of schooling ages between the states of our nation

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (17-08-2016),binnielici  (17-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    This is the rule in NSW:

Your child can start Kindergarten at the beginning of the school year if they turn five on or before 31 July in that year. By law, all children must be enrolled in school by their sixth birthday.
    Thank you.

See I find that ridiculous.
    That is way too open and vague IMO. An 18 month gap in one grade is far too big, no wonder it makes parents panic and think they need to hold their kids back.
    Just set some dates FFS.
    It's hard enough for us parents without stressing about when to send our kids to school.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (17-08-2016),BabyG4  (17-08-2016),babyno1onboard  (17-08-2016),TeaAndToast  (17-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I agree with pp, I would personally hold back, I had a few friends in the same predicament, 2 held back ( and sent the boys to pre school 4 days a week so they were not bored) and 1 sent her son at 4.5 ( turned 5 in June) and he struggled the whole year, he's in year 1 now and is now fine but she moved schools as he was in a year 1/2 composite class - her 5 year old was in the same class as some 8 year olds

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thank you.

See I find that ridiculous.
    That is way too open and vague IMO. An 18 month gap in one grade is far too big, no wonder it makes parents panic and think they need to hold their kids back.
    Just set some dates FFS.
    It's hard enough for us parents without stressing about when to send our kids to school.
    I agree, the gap can be huge.

Back in my day (I attended all my schooling years in NSW), it seemed that almost all children I went to school with were turning the same age in the same year. I had one friend in high school who was an exception (a July baby) and everyone would be gobsmacked when they realised she was much younger than everyone else.

My bestie was a Feb baby and she was one of the older kids in the year - she would be one of the first to get her L's, her P's etc. She was in our year because she was made to repeat grade 6 though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    This is just perpetuating the age gap problem it's the parents who hold their kids back, not the parents who send their kids the year they're deemed old enough to go that causes this issue.

Well that's only because of the ridiculous mid year cut offs in most states. I personally think there should be 1 intake a year and kids have to be 5 as at 1 January that year. These May/June\July cut offs are fraught with issues.

This way there would only ever be 1 year max difference between each child.
    But it's not really the parent's that 'hold back' that are to blame for the age gap either. It's the way the system is set up at the moment and all parents are working within that system as they deem right for their child. I do agree that an 18month age gap isn't ideal though....

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (17-08-2016),binnielici  (17-08-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (17-08-2016),RmumR  (17-08-2016)