+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Tasmania wanted to lower the school starting age and make it compulsory for 4 year olds to go to school at 4 but they changed their mind.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default What age to start school?

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Tasmania wanted to lower the school starting age and make it compulsory for 4 year olds to go to school at 4 but they changed their mind.
    Isn't that called pre-school and although it's not compulsary many parents complain when it's not free/heavily subsidised?
    Last edited by VicPark; 10-09-2016 at 17:14.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Isn't that called pre-school and although it's not compulsary many parents complain when it's not free/heavily subsidised?
    No they wanted to change the age for compulsory schooling to 4.5

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-0...74?pfmredir=sm

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I knew we are in the minority for sending our kids early, but I was shocked that 88% of the world are sending their kids later than Australia. That says a lot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Yet more and more local students are going to uni than ever before, it can't be that bad that we have the current age rules in place if so many students are ready for tertiary study once they finish school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    Yet more and more local students are going to uni than ever before, it can't be that bad that we have the current age rules in place if so many students are ready for tertiary study once they finish school.
    As a university educator I wouldn't say that so many are going because they are 'ready'. It's more to do with a general push in society towards credentialism, an expectation that you will go to university and policy measures which almost forcefully encourage it.
    Some academics now consider first year of Uni as essentially 'year 13'.
    The push to get so many young people in, and through, university is not tied to their readiness and the appalling first year attrition rates partly attest to many not being ready (there are a whole bunch of other reasons for attrition too). I personally do think that 17 turning 18 is too young to start Uni but having said that for some it is fine. It's one of those things that is so often dependent on the individual and their maturity.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Full House  (11-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    As a university educator I wouldn't say that so many are going because they are 'ready'. It's more to do with a general push in society towards credentialism, an expectation that you will go to university and policy measures which almost forcefully encourage it.
    The push to get so many young people in, and through, university is not tied to their readiness and the appalling first year attrition rates partly attest to many not being ready (there are a whole bunch of other reasons for attrition too). I personally do think that 17 turning 18 is too young to start Uni but having said that for some it is fine. It's one of those things that is so often dependent on the individual and their maturity.
    I started Uni at 17 (qld) and agree it's too young. I couldn't drink at O-week!

Pretty much everyone in my year was in the same boat though. Back before we got 'prep' in qld we were always a year younger than our 'southern' cousins in the same school year. Some of my friends had literally only 'just' turned 17 weeks before they started Uni.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (10-09-2016),gingermillie  (10-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    I agree with your last sentence especially. Working in a tertiary institution myself, attrition rates vary widely and what I've found is that ESL and low SES students show the biggest attrition rate.

I think expectation to go to uni isn't as strong as it once was, I'm constantly blown away by how mature final year secondary school students are, so many of these future students are heading to uni very much ready for it.

I think though just like the theories about kids being ready for primary school and Uni, there's early, on time and late but not by age, but by individual.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think we should have compulsory gap year but not to travel etc maybe army reserves etc.. I'm not sure.

Kids these days are just different and lack so much. Plus that year would help figure out a bit. Volunteer in NT or something I dunno but just a year community service before study.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (11-09-2016),VicPark  (10-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    It's got nothing to do with them being ready. It's a big money maker. You now need to go to uni to be a police officer in NSW. That would make it seem like there are more students than ever when really it's just that more jobs require a degree. Years ago you went to nursing school and teacher college but now they're all university courses.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (11-09-2016),Full House  (11-09-2016)