+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I wouldn't think too much of it. Most of the time there will be an innocent explanation. Today DH & FIL came to toddler gym, I went off to put my gym membership on hold leaving DH with DD in the class & FIL watching from the bleachers. He can look a bit rough, but wanted to tag along to see his grand daughter. I was a little worried that some of the mums would think he was dodgy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm in the same boat of I wouldn't stress too much. He could just like watching kids, could be intellectually disabled, may have dementia and is drawn to being around babies, could have been waiting for someone and thought he might have a watch while he waited, he might be empty nesting and feeling nostalgic, he might have children who live overseas so he never gets to see his grandchildren and is sad etc...
    I'm not saying don't be careful but the way I see it, 1) creepies are likely to be better disguised than that (Hollywood etc have us thinking old men at playgrounds are bad news) and 2) there are far, far more decent explanations that are entirely plausible.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (16-08-2016),HillDweller  (16-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default What do you think - man at toddler time

It's a shame that in this day and age we have to worry about men being alone around children. But I can absolutely see why we react that way, I do it all the time, it's a natural reaction still, but I really wish it wasn't.

I think given all of the non-sinister reasons he could have been there should be enough to dismiss this as a non-issue.

Having said all this there was a man around the same age hanging around at DDs swimming lesson on Saturday. Normally Is think nothing of it, but he was by himself, and even though there are many grandparents and parents there watching their kids and grandkids, I have seen this man wondering aimlessly around locally in the past and I think it's been either at the local library or shops. I just thought at the swimming pool with half naked children there, it was less appropriate and I couldn't help by wonder whether he was with someone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Most likely a lonely single man just wanting to be around people.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The local library where I am runs a book reading session on Monday for the kids and I was just standing there looking at all the kids and mums having a good time and I wandered off when it was over. I was single and without kids at the time so I was curious what the program was and suitably entertained. Kept my hands on library books

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Not sure. To be honest I probably would have based my judgement partially on the gentlemans appearance and demeanour which is one of those things you have to see for yourself. If my 'danger radar' went off then essentially I have no control over that, it's a gut feeling. It probably wouldn't change how I acted around my kids - I am cautious regardless. It probably wouldn't be enough to make me say something to staff (which I have done on the odd occasion usually when a shady dude has whipped a camera out and started filming kids, that's another story for another day though). And yes I would feel awfully sorry for this man if he was just a lonely person having a rough time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not exactly the same OP, but kind of a similar experience, with an explanation.

I was recently in a shopping centre and my girls were playing on one of those $2 merry go round things. A man came along and popped $2 in for them and sat down beside me. We got chatting and he told me that he hoped I didnt mind but until recently his daughter and grand daughter lived with him and he always gave his grand daughter a ride but his daughter had recently met a new partner and moved interstate. He told me my girls reminded him of his grand daughter so he wanted to give them a ride. I felt so sad for him.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to GirlsRock For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (16-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I agree with the others...prob lonely/enjoyed watching the kids/people watching/killing time. if he is a peedo though, what can you do? the library is a public space. unless he's exposing himself or doing something unlawful, I can't see any way around it. either you lock yourself away at home with your child, or you run the risk of crossing paths with a peedo when out.

i can't really comment either way what I think his intentions were, you'd need to be there and see him, get a vibe etc.

if I noticed someone creepy or someone I was getting strange vibes from, I'd ensure my child was near me/within view at all times. and if he tried to engage my child in any way, I'd leave.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

amyd  (16-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel sorry for men, particularly older men because of our cautiousness about these things. Don't get me wrong, I'm always protective too. But i also often get stopped by grandads to chat about my twins and mostly they adore their own grandkids and just genuinely enjoy watching kids and their energy. I hope this is all it is in your situation and i hope we don't get too protective and forget to just enjoy community...older male members included.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to NAT2561 For This Useful Post:

Renn  (16-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wouldn't have thought anything on it. I would have been pretty horrified by the mothers' response though.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (16-08-2016),gingermillie  (16-08-2016)