Sleep Training | Page 3 | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    All is going well, except a stumble yesterday when my well meaning mother was left at home with him for 20 minutes while I bought groceries and I came home to her leaning over his cot chatting after a 45 min nap!
    But my new problem is how do you tackle the early wake ups, he had become really great with the new night schedule except he wakes up too early, he is in bed between 7:30 and 8, dream feed at 10:30, night feed 2:30 but is waking up a little shy of 6.... I have tried resettling but to no avail, I don't get him out of bed earlier than 6:30 but it's a real battle because he won't go back to sleep. Do I just keep going with keeping him in bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @VicPark I have been following the routine you posted in here and it is going well for the most part, I was just wondering, if DS sleeps longer than the normal wake/feed time would you wake him? Does the answer change if they didn't actually fall asleep for almost an hour and a half? I have sleep school soon so I can ask that then but I just thought someone might be able to offer me some advice between then and now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Tdez View Post
    @VicPark I have been following the routine you posted in here and it is going well for the most part, I was just wondering, if DS sleeps longer than the normal wake/feed time would you wake him? Does the answer change if they didn't actually fall asleep for almost an hour and a half? I have sleep school soon so I can ask that then but I just thought someone might be able to offer me some advice between then and now.
    That depends on what sort if day you want to have as a parent - there isn't necessarily a right or wrong answer just different styles that may result in different outcomes.

The first thing I would be looking at is why hasn't bub fallen asleep until 1.5 hours into the scheduled nap time. Did bub get up late in the morning? Are you out and about and bub doesn't have a comfy bed? Does bub have a comforter yet? Is bub hungry and wanting solids?

Not falling asleep for 1.5 hours suggests something else is up and without knowing what it is it's hard to say what you should do.
    As a general rule of thumb until a bub is on one day nap I wake at scheduled times - otherwise it's hard to fit all the required naps in. Wake at 7am, wake at 11am etc. If bub takes 30 mins to fall asleep I still wake at the scheduled time. If bub wakes up early I generally try and distract and keep up to the next nap time - putting bub to bed early can sometimes reinforce early rising. A week or so of this and if bub is on the appropriate routine things usually click into place.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Tdez  (12-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    The first thing I would be looking at is why hasn't bub fallen asleep until 1.5 hours into the scheduled nap time. Did bub get up late in the morning? Are you out and about and bub doesn't have a comfy bed? Does bub have a comforter yet? Is bub hungry and wanting solids?.
    He usually wakes up earlier than he should but I keep him in bed until 2hrs is up, often he is just chatting to himself when I do this. My biggest issue is a few times he is asleep for maybe 15/20 mins and then he wakes, starts rolling, loses his dummy out of the cot, gets his arm stuck out of the railing etc etc, I go in when he starts to get upset, then it's a repeated process and next thing you know his wake time is in 30 mins and he is just starting to go back to sleep. He has a comforter that he plays with in bed and sometimes cuddles. Solids were started last week and I feel like my entire existence is made up of feeding and settling this little cutie.

Thanks again for the advice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Sleep Training

If bub wakes I would get bub put of the cot so bub knows it's a place for sleep not play. I am guessing bub could be waking early because of the dummy. There are plenty of dummy fans on here and yes sometimes they so have their place. However they are notorious for resulting in early wakings. If bub goes to sleep with a dummy & the dummy later falls out, when bub stirs between sleep cycles bub will think "wtf! Where is my dummy??!!??" And wake. The best way to encourage a solid sleep with no early waking is to ensure the sleep environment stays the same. So only use an aid (patting/feeding to sleep/dummy/comforter) if you can guarantee it will pretty much be there for the duration of the sleep.

Not easy to ditch the dummy I agree however the benefits could be amazing.
    Last edited by VicPark; 13-09-2016 at 07:21.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Tdez  (13-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think your right, dummy is a double edged sword, so good for getting him to sleep, so bad for keepin him asleep. I'll see how I go getting to fall asleep one of his sleeps without the dummy.