Sleep Training | Page 2 | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Being a first time mum I have a major SIDS phobia that's why I haven't introduced a comforter yet, I'm probably being over cautious but the anxiety is real.
    He was eating every 3 hours, but someone had told me if I feed every two he is more likely to get the calorie intake through the day and not want to wake up as much for it at night, also there have been some latching issues we are working in so I worry he can't take a big feed yet. Good point about the white noise, if I do intro it I'll make sure whatever I use is portable.
    He has been skipping a nap here and there, I'll see how we go tomorrow with extending wake time.
    Thanks so much for all the advice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    On the white noise, I agree - but for us it works so damn well I have something that can produce white noise wherever DS sleeps. He's 2 next month and we still use it (I do too - an app and headphones every night).

My MIL has him 1 day a week and I used to send a white noise 'machine' (it was tiny) to her house. She doesn't use it - ever! And she wonders why he barely sleeps there!

We had a family function there a few weeks ago, I went in his room there and it was freezing, stone silent other than the loud noises coming from the party - no wonder he barely sleeps there. I put on the heating in there, put my phone in there with some noise and he slept 3 hours!!

Sorry, so long story short, it can be an aid, but I still recommend it and I always ensure I have a way of reproducing it wherever he sleeps (will be sending the 'machine' with him when he starts Childcare in October.

Oh and it helps with sleep training no only as it drowns out other noises, it distracts Bub from another wise silent and 'lonely' room.

On the comforter, try and find one made of bamboo or cotton. A lot of Te teddy head on a cloth ones are all made of polyester which aren't breathable. I always gave potential comforters a breath test, if I could breathe through it - it was okay.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Tdez  (17-08-2016),VicPark  (17-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Also on the comforter, i tied the ones for our DDs in a tight knot for months. It couldn't cover their faces. Only when they were much older i undid it.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NAT2561 For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (17-08-2016),Tdez  (17-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love the breath test and I'm deff gonna look into white noise options as that is something that helps me sleep, I have an awesome app for myself. @NAT2561 a that the cuski ones?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had comforters made by a friend for my twins (had a spare one each so they can be washed). My advice is to allow them ONLY at sleep time. They get really attached to them and can be a great sleep cue and incentive to go to bed. If overused during the day outside of sleep you might miss this opportunity to relate them to nap or sleep times. Having said that...trips to the dr or other times of comfort they are also great.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NAT2561 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (17-08-2016),Aloria  (17-08-2016),VicPark  (17-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post

Of course each bub is different... That being said 2 hours between milk feeds seems like a short period. At 4 months many bubs are capable of 3-4 hour stretches during the day. If there is anyway you can slowly stretch bubs milk feeds out, that may help bub start to take bigger feeds... Which in turn can make it easier for bub to last longer between feeds.
    I want to second that comment! Every child is different. Some kids can happily stretch out their feeds. Some kids just can't go that long between feeds.

My DD was EBF & would need to be fed every 2 hours during the day (and until 1, she was fed a couple of times overnight, with 8-9 months being the most at about 4-6 times). She has always been on the slight side & even now (3.5 years) she still doesn't eat much (but about one day a week she eats significantly more than she normally does). My DD still needs to eat every 2-3 hours, pretty much (breakfast @ 8am, morning tea @ 10:30, lunch @ 12:30pm, arvo tea @ 3pm, dinner @ 5:30pm) and she gets so hangry if she doesn't eat.

So, that's an example of a kid not being able to be stretched to longer gaps between feeds - unless I was/am happy to deal with a screaming baby / hangry toddler (um, no thanks!!).

OP: Regarding the sleep... Can't help you there, much. DD has just started to sleep through regularly (about 3 nights per week), since the last of her teeth came through 3 months ago!!

It sounds like you are taking your time & doing a gentle approach to slowly moving away from hands-on settling. Good for you.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Aloria For This Useful Post:

Tdez  (17-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Sleep Training

Quote Originally Posted by Aloria View Post
    I want to second that comment! Every child is different. Some kids can happily stretch out their feeds. Some kids just can't go that long between feeds.

My DD was EBF & would need to be fed every 2 hours during the day (and until 1, she was fed a couple of times overnight, with 8-9 months being the most at about 4-6 times). She has always been on the slight side & even now (3.5 years) she still doesn't eat much (but about one day a week she eats significantly more than she normally does). My DD still needs to eat every 2-3 hours, pretty much (breakfast @ 8am, morning tea @ 10:30, lunch @ 12:30pm, arvo tea @ 3pm, dinner @ 5:30pm) and she gets so hangry if she doesn't eat.

So, that's an example of a kid not being able to be stretched to longer gaps between feeds - unless I was/am happy to deal with a screaming baby / hangry toddler (um, no thanks!!).

I agree there are some kids that can't be stretched in terms of milk feeds. However I think it's important to mention that there are also a fair number of cases where parents feed regularly for what they think is out of need, when in reality the bub could be stretched if certain things were done (looking at hind v fatty milk intake, burping, slowly over a period of weeks introducing delaying tactics, solids etc). Not saying it's easy by any means. The older the baby is the higher the chances a short gap in between feeds is due more to habit/parent tactics than need.
    Last edited by VicPark; 17-08-2016 at 06:44.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Tdez  (17-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Tdez View Post
    He was eating every 3 hours, but someone had told me if I feed every two he is more likely to get the calorie intake through the day and not want to wake up as much for it at night, also there have been some latching issues we are working in so I worry he can't take a big feed yet.
    Be careful - there is risk with this strategy. If bub ends up having shorter feeds during the day, depending on how you work the boob swapping bub may not get to the fatty hind milk which is more filling. The small gaps can also disrupt bub from having decent sleeps during the day as bub needs to wake for a feed (at 4 months I would be shooting for 2 x 2 hour naps plus a catnap). And disrupted day sleep is a big killer of good night sleep.

For a good night sleep I would be focusing more on timing of naps, size and timing of feeds, comforter, room temp/bedding and not aiding bub to sleep. And solids at some point in the next month if bub is showing physical signs of readiness.

Whatever way you are looking to go if you change anything do it slowly and stick with it for at least 2 weeks. It can really take that long for bub to get used to a new routine.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (17-08-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (17-08-2016),SuperGranny  (12-09-2016),Tdez  (17-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks heaps for all the advice, based on your suggestions and the MW advice I am taking a mixed approach, I let him have a good yell last night, but still tended to him after a certain period and he had a great night sleep with only 1 feed overnight. This morning I stretched out his awake time to 1.5 hours and he has just woken up from a 2.5 hour nap! He did unsettle in the middle, he found just holding my finger comforting so def going to get a comforter for him, plus my cats chased each other up the hallway so I think a portable white noise machine will be great for drowning out my cheeky pets. But thankyou all so much!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Tdez For This Useful Post:

Aloria  (17-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tdez View Post
    he has just woken up from a 2.5 hour nap!
    That's awesome! Fingers crossed the big sleeps continue!