Sleep Training | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Sleep Training

I have decided to really start to get serious about teaching 4 month old DS to fall asleep on his own. I have read all the things you should read and probably even the ones you shouldn't, but I have a couple of little issues that have popped up, I'm hoping for either tips or encouragement.
    I started by cuddling him to drowsy and putting him in bed somewhere between awake and asleep, he has a habit of getting his hands up in his face so I was pinning them down until he slept.
    I have now stopped the cuddle to drowsy and I put him down fully awake, I sit in a chair by his cot with a hand on him until he sleeps, I will gradually reduce the amount of contact and increase the distance I sit from the cot.
    My issues are, he keeps rolling, he will roll onto his tummy and push up and yell and yell so I feel I need to intervene here and I'm not sure if I'm undoing all my independent sleep work. Also he is still catnapping, he sleeps 30-40 mins sometimes even 25 mins, I leave him for a bit so he has the chance to settle but then he will roll and yell and then the beginnings of a cry will start so I go in and roll him over and sit with my hand on him, but I have sat in there like that for an hour after his catnap and he will not go back to sleep. Anyone have any thoughts? TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    You're going about it in a great way already. And good plan to slowly wean your assistance.

Have you tried letting him stay on his tummy and sit and rub him on the back? Can he either roll onto his back again (when awake usually) or can he lift his head up and turn it to the side?

If he can do both of these things I'd personally recommend leaving him in his tummy. It's inly a SIDS risk if he can't roll back over or at least lift his head and turn it to the side (if he can't roll but can turn his head, make sure he's unswaddled.

Do you used white noise? Do you do the same things leading up to his sleep? Eg, into sleeping bag, read a short book, sing a song then put down? If not try and have a consistent pattern of things you do in the same order before each nap and sleep.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (16-08-2016),Tdez  (16-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Oh PS when my two went through the 4 month sleep regression I didn't re-settle after a cat nap, I just waited until they naturally stretched out those out - otherwise I got too tense and frustrated and it literally sent me batty when I tried with my eldest as it was fruitless.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (16-08-2016),Tdez  (16-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    Oh PS when my two went through the 4 month sleep regression I didn't re-settle after a cat nap, I just waited until they naturally stretched out those out - otherwise I got too tense and frustrated and it literally sent me batty when I tried with my eldest as it was fruitless.
    Agree with not stressing about catnapping until 6 months as by then they are developmentally ready to stretch out their naps and if you get the timings right should just happen naturally. Catnaps are extremely common before then.

As for the rolling thing- it sucks. I know both my kids would flip themselves on their tummies and would scream blue murder trying to get back. They do eventually get used to sleeping on their tummies if they roll but it does take time and it does suck.

At this young age I would concentrate on teaching your bubs to fall asleep on their own and you'll be off to a great start.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (16-08-2016),SookiLala  (16-08-2016),Tdez  (16-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with the others. Catnapping is totally common and I wouldn't stress so much about it. My bub catnaps and has a wake time of approx 1.5 hours, maybe less. He's not always self settling but really, they're so little for such a short time I'm soaking up all the "I need mummy" time as I can.

I don't know about swaddling but is that something people do at thst age?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SookiLala For This Useful Post:

Tdez  (16-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had the rolling issue about a month back. I know what you mean - it's not that they will happily fall asleep on their tummy, they get really worked up! I got around it by tucking a light sheet firmly across the cot about chest height (he was already in a grobag). This makes it quite difficult to roll over and thankfully it worked for my DS2. So far.

I agree with all the other suggestions, bedtime routine, white noise etc. I personally find a hands off approach best (ie leave them in cot awake and only go in if they get really upset). I understand this doesn't work for all babies though. We had a few weeks of having to go in and pat etc before he was able to put himself to sleep calmly without reassurance.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

Tdez  (16-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    When is bubs sleep/bedtimes? Catnapping can be due to not enough time between naps (bub is tired enough to nap but not tired enough to 'sleep.'

What temperature is bubs room and what clothes/bedding is bub in? (Catnapping and sleeping on the belly can be a sign bub is cold. Many parents underestimate the amount of bedding needed).

How is bubs milk intake? Is bub on solids yet? Especially if bub is a bigger bub, hunger may be starting to come into play (which can lead to catnapping).

13. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Tdez  (16-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We do have our little routine before bed but I will admit I screw it up sometimes because I haven't timed it well, but I'm making a new routine to follow as of tonight.
    The only reason I stress about catnapping is I get nothing done, I give myself stupid mum guilt and feel like I need to be entertaining him whenever he is awake and feel bad if I use his awake time to clean/cook/make the calls I need to make, but I'm just going to have to suck it up and make him sit in the bouncer every now and then and watch me, I do that sometimes but everything takes me ages because I'm spending most of it singing and dancing for him ha ha ha. I need to get something I can use for white noise, all I have at the moment is my phone and if I get a call that will ruin everything, I will have to invest in a little CD player I think.
    I had his MW appointment today and she also suggested the hands off approach, I tried it tonight and it was over an hour later he was wide awake still and due to be fed, cheeky monkey was all giggles and laughs when I got him out. He is out cold now but I think that is more due to exhaustion.
    His bedtime WAS 9pm but I was advised today that's too late. He is generally only awake for 1hr but that's starting to stretch out to 1.5 - 2hrs, I follow his cues and when he stops responding and starts staring at me blankly it's time for bed. He is EBF and eats every 2 hours through the day and usually every 3 hours at night but he has had some big night sleeps so I have cancelled out one of the night feeds, so he only eats once overnight.
    Room temp is always 21c, he sleeps in his singlet, onsie and a 2.5 tog sleep bag, I have a 3.5 as well but I keep the temp about 19 when he is in that one. I don't put any other bedding in because he moves around so much during the night I'm scared of him getting stuck under the covers.
    He is only a little guy, weighing in at 5.95kg, he was a little one coming out (I was grateful on the day lol) thanks for all the responses, this has been a major battle for me and I'm on my own now as DH has just moved to nsw for work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    On the white noise....i had a cheap baby monitor and it played songs and other noises. We used the wave/ocean noises for white noise.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to NAT2561 For This Useful Post:

Tdez  (16-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Sleep Training

At 4 months I would be looking closer to a 2 hour awake time. A sample routine for a 4 month old is below. No need to stress about following it religiously - if it helps with giving a rough idea for the number/spacings for naps then that's mission accomplished.
    - 7am wake/milk feed
    - 8am solids (once/if started)
    - 9am sleep
    - 11am milk feed
    -12 solids
    - 1pm sleep
    - 3pm milk feed
    - 4:30-5:15pm possible cat nap
    - 5:20pm solids
    - 6:20 milk feed
    - 7pm bed
    -10:30pm dreamfeed (to be weaned once bub has been on 3 x solids per day for 6 weeks)

Also - be careful about introducing a sleep aid such as white noise if you will be unable to maintain that aid throughout every sleep (including overnight, and when bub needs to sleep outside the house). If bub is aided to sleep and that sleep aid disappears, after the heaviest part of sleep is over/moving from one sleep cycle to another bub may stir and think "wtf - where is my white noise." Then bingo - bub is awake. Many parents like to use cloth/teddy comforters as they can be maintained throughout a sleep without adult intervention.

Of course each bub is different... That being said 2 hours between milk feeds seems like a short period. At 4 months many bubs are capable of 3-4 hour stretches during the day. If there is anyway you can slowly stretch bubs milk feeds out, that may help bub start to take bigger feeds... Which in turn can make it easier for bub to last longer between feeds.
    Last edited by VicPark; 16-08-2016 at 21:53.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Tdez  (16-08-2016)