+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Flying 36 weeks pregnant

Hi,

I have a family engagement in Brisbane and I will be 35 almost 36 weeks. I'll have to fly from Melbourne to Brisbane and I'm just wondering if any of you have flown at this gestation without any complications?

I know I'm allowed to fly through the different airlines and if my gp gives me a letter to state certain information but I was just after anyone's experiences I'll have my toddler with me but also other family members so we will have back up baby sitters!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Flying 36 weeks pregnant

I'm "only" 22 weeks but with twins so belly looks bigger and as a frequent flyer for work the answer really comes down to whether you're going to be comfortable enough at that late stage.

At the moment I still fly every week, whether for one night or a few nights and it has become very very exhausting, even though I'm an expert at this and have my routine down pat.

I think the biggest issue is whether you're really comfortable enough that nothing would happen whilst flying, as that's the main reason why they want the letter to show there is a low risk of anything going wrong with you. Although no one can ever guarantee this...

Having said the above, Melbourne to Brisbane is "only" two hours.

It's a hard decision. I've decided not to fly after 30 weeks. You said you will have family with you though to help with your toddler, but won't make a difference if something were to go wrong.

Just remember if something happens whilst in Brisbane then you will be stuck in a different state having a baby.

Good luck with your decision!
    Last edited by baby245; 15-08-2016 at 20:05.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would be hesitant to fly this far along...prob because i had ds2 early. Bwst to check with your ob/gp.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tinkers For This Useful Post:

Carpe diem 2013  (15-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think comfort will be your biggest issue. You say you'll have a toddler with you, will you have a support person on the plane? I flew at 30 weeks with Dh and DS2 (3.5 years). It wasn't fun! I was very uncomfortable, struggled moving down the aisle to go to the toilet etc... I definitely would not have done a flight on my own with my DS2.

GrabbyCrabby is offline She is everything I need, that I never knew I wanted... She is everything I want, that I never knew I needed...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I flew at late 36 weeks, similar duration. It was quite uncomfortable on the plane for me, especially on the way back home. Can you play it by ear and see how you're feeling closer to the time?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm going to be 32 weeks at Christmas time, and as much as I love my family and will miss them, there is absolutely no way I'm getting on a plane with my toddler (even with DH to help), to go down for our usual Christmas. By 30 weeks last time I struggled to sit in a *comfortable* chair for more than 30 minutes at a time. My hips were just too sore. I can only imagine that being stuck in a seat on a plane would be really painful. I recently did a long drive, and struggled with an hour at a time in my comfy car (but my pelvis has already packed it in).
    @binnielici is right - manoeuvring around on the plane would be awkward and difficult. Then you add toddler and hand luggage to get on and off. Thanks for helping me put that one definitely on the nope pile binnielici!

If you have to do it, make sure you have help with the toddler, minimise carry on baggage, and ask for lots of pillows to try and make yourself comfortable. Drink plenty of water. And make sure you're happy with the possibility of having bub interstate.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny Dancer For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (16-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    TBA, knowing how I felt at 37wks there was no way on earth I'd be getting on a plane and I'm sure your family would understand if you don't go to the engagement party.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I flew from Brisbane to Rockhampton (about 1 1/2 hours) at 36 week pregnant alone with my DD who was 25 months. It was not too bad, a bit uncomfortable, but fine really. Shorter than your trip, but I was going to visit my family at Christmas so I knew I had support if I did have to have baby away from home!