+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by someonesomewhere View Post
    Yeah in the end we applied for a property in Mt Barker. Im not sure now whether to bus it (cheaper to bus it than car parking plus cost of fuel) or to drive it myself by car (quicker but more traffic and more expensive car parking fees). The kids are in daycare two minutes from work because I have staff priority in that daycare and it was the only one who could squeeze my two kids in. Also in case we have to move from Mt Barker to elsewhere there is no point in finding daycare in mt barker.

Does anyone know if the express bus (direct without stops) from Mt Barker in the morning or evening (without the stops) goes a bit faster than the indicated hour on the metro timetable? surely its gotta be quicker than the ones with the stops everywhere?
    I used to catch the bus and found it really quick from where I am. Half hour and worth it not to pay parking fees. Mt Barker is a big place. If you ride it to the end of the line I imagine it would be 40-50 minutes. But depends where you live. And also what time you travel. That makes a huge difference. We avoid the 7.30-8.30 slot.

But if you've got the kids driving would be more suited. Way quicker and easier. I wouldn't take mine on a bus everyday. We have our son at childcare in the hills (Hahndorf) so don't have to worry.

Parking fees are about $15 per day early bird. My husband has a paid carpark through his work which we use. Can you negotiate that?

A final option would be to drive to the bottom of the freeway and get a bus into city. Might be quicker and you wouldn't pay parking. 15 minutes or so on the bus from there.

You could just trial and see what works for you.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to WinterJade For This Useful Post:

someonesomewhere  (20-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by WinterJade View Post
    I used to catch the bus and found it really quick from where I am. Half hour and worth it not to pay parking fees. Mt Barker is a big place. If you ride it to the end of the line I imagine it would be 40-50 minutes. But depends where you live. And also what time you travel. That makes a huge difference. We avoid the 7.30-8.30 slot.

But if you've got the kids driving would be more suited. Way quicker and easier. I wouldn't take mine on a bus everyday. We have our son at childcare in the hills (Hahndorf) so don't have to worry.

Parking fees are about $15 per day early bird. My husband has a paid carpark through his work which we use. Can you negotiate that?

A final option would be to drive to the bottom of the freeway and get a bus into city. Might be quicker and you wouldn't pay parking. 15 minutes or so on the bus from there.

You could just trial and see what works for you.
    We're at beginning of adelaide rd near M1 turn off. So assuming it will be short ride. Fingers crossed. I ll try it this week.
    Tried finding daycare in hills but near impossible as no vacancies. After 20 phonecalls i gave up and went with d/c with work priority.

Is traffic easier at 630am 7am? Might ask new manager if there is flexibility for earlier start and earlier knock off. Hopefully they can accommodate since i have 2 littlies under 2.5

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by someonesomewhere View Post
    We're at beginning of adelaide rd near M1 turn off. So assuming it will be short ride. Fingers crossed. I ll try it this week.
    Tried finding daycare in hills but near impossible as no vacancies. After 20 phonecalls i gave up and went with d/c with work priority.

Is traffic easier at 630am 7am? Might ask new manager if there is flexibility for earlier start and earlier knock off. Hopefully they can accommodate since i have 2 littlies under 2.5
    Yeah that'll make a huge difference. It'll be quick on the bus. 35 mins. Especially at 6.30/7. If I leave on the 7.10am from my place, I'm at my desk about 7.45am. Traffic is non-existent before 7.30 haha. It's Adelaide!

Hope your new boss is nice and let's you.

What street is your work?