Work and having a baby | Page 2 | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's a contentious topic, but from my point of view once you have kids it's just a job. I'm one of those mums who no longer cares. It's a means to feed my family

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (17-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was working for a company casually for 8 years on and off...as I moved around different departments but always ended up coming back to same department. I got a permanent job there then fell pregnant straight away. I didn't know till I was 7 weeks as I have pcos. I told my boss at 14 weeks...everyone was so happy for me. She didn't even bother to be there for my last day..but did organise a morning tea for me.

I came back to work after 15 months..decided to leave after 1 year and she couldn't of cared any less I was gone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The hard lesson is that no one cares if your gone...everyone is replaceable. We'd all like to think that we would be missed but there is always someone else to take your role.

I work in a call centre now. A lot of time and money has been invested in us in training. If I left today honestly they wouldn't even care who I was the next day.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ProudMumma34 For This Useful Post:

Wise Enough  (17-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    ^^ unfortunately this part rings very true. I work for an employer of over 200 people. I was supervisor and manager to a good portion of these people. Everyone was so excited for me having my first bub. I thought it was going to be visit after visit the way people were talking. When I went on maternity leave... 2 visited me in hospital and 2 at home. That's it. People didn't even call.

My point is, don't hold of making your life dreams come true for a job. There will be other jobs and other people to replace you. It's just how it is.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to HeavenBlue For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (17-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Very true comments. In the end I really am replaceable

There are a few ladies at the moment on maternity leave and the way all the staff talk about them is very positive and looking forward to having them back. So fingers crossed that would be me when my time comes!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavenBlue View Post
    ^^ unfortunately this part rings very true. I work for an employer of over 200 people. I was supervisor and manager to a good portion of these people. Everyone was so excited for me having my first bub. I thought it was going to be visit after visit the way people were talking. When I went on maternity leave... 2 visited me in hospital and 2 at home. That's it. People didn't even call.

My point is, don't hold of making your life dreams come true for a job. There will be other jobs and other people to replace you. It's just how it is.

This happened with me too @HeavenBlue. It did hurt. I thought I was quite "popular" at work but clearly out of sight, out of mind.
    Taught me they really were colleagues and not actual friends.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

HeavenBlue  (18-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    This happened with me too @HeavenBlue. It did hurt. I thought I was quite "popular" at work but clearly out of sight, out of mind.
    Taught me they really were colleagues and not actual friends.
    This was really hard for me too. I had so many "friends" at work, but only caught up with 3 on mat leave. I think work was such a big part of who I was that it hurt a lot realising that nope, it was just a job and they were just colleagues, as great as they all are!

After kid 2 work definitely became a job for me more than a career/identity/ladder climbing exercise and I've been so much happier. I'm poorer, but happier haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went to a work catch up with my 2yo and baby when I was on mat leave and everyone ignored me. I ended up sitting at a table with my kids while everyone else sat together laughing and joking. I left in tears. It took me a long time to get over, but it made me realise they are colleagues not friends. I do have some work friends but they weren't at this function. Each person that was there I have mentally marked as never go out of my way for again.