Work and having a baby | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Work and having a baby

My almost husband (3 months to go until we are married!) and I are thinking of starting a family in the near future after we get married (early 2017).

I have been at my company for a year and a half in a casual role then I moved up to a permanent full time position about 3 months ago. I have checked the leave and I'm entitled to leave if we were to fall pregnant in early 2017.

Is it weird that I would feel like I was dissapointing my boss by becoming pregnant if I had only been working for her for 9 ish months?
    (For the year and a half prior I was working for another boss in the company)

Has anyone else experienced this?

I feel like my almost husband and I are extremely ready for a baby and he wants to start sooner rather than later but I don't want to dissapoint my new boss...

She is lovely by the way, she would never say out loud anything negative.. But I'm a stresser and worry about what people think of my actions all the time...

Thankyou ladies xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes i felt the same way.

And chances are that if you're a good employee you'll be missed!

However no one is irreplaceable in a company and a year goes in a flash. You'll be back to work before you know it

Don't sweat it, it's just a short break in your career and you're not letting anyone down.

Chances are your boss will be happy for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm sure your boss will be fine. I found out I was pregnant one month after starting a new job. I felt awful but my boss was awesome! I only worked 8 months before commencing 14 months maternity leave (18 weeks of which in full pay).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou so much for replying ladies.

That has made me feel so much better. I'm such a stresser and I'm always stressing about other people and often putting what I want on the back burner.

We are so ready financially and emotionally to have a baby so 2017 is it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I would probably worry and Feel guilty too. However in my old age I am becoming more pessimistic - most of the time workers are replaceable and once a worker is on extended leave for the most part they will be forgotten. Don't delay your own personal wishes and desires out of a sense of loyalty to someone/something that although good at the time, will probably forget you by the 6/10/12 month mark.

Go for it!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (16-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've never missed anyone on maternity leave. Everyone can be replaced. Don't feel bad

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (16-08-2016),MUG81  (17-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I used to be like that, but in the end, it's your life and you need to do what's best for you. Do what makes you happy, not what makes someone else happy. Go for it

Thanks
    Reviews
    If I've learnt one thing from two rounds of maternity leave, is don't worry about your company/boss because life goes on without you around. I was so stressed (especially my second time around because I had an amazing boss) but someone covered my role and when I went back I was in a different role anyway.
    I was honestly a little offended they didn't collapse without me

Your boss will be happy for you I'm sure and honestly, I kind of feel like people expect it as soon as you get married based on the amount of "so, when are you going to have kids" questions start as soon as you walk down the aisle

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (17-08-2016),VicPark  (17-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    ^^
    If you're aged between 21-40, have no or 1 child, and you're in a steady relationship people expect it. We've always seen it coming at my work. Well except for maybe me because I'm a solo mother by choice

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

maternidade  (17-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou that does make me feel better.

I was a bit stressed but your replies make me a lot less nervous.

I don't want to be replaced because I love my job but I don't want them to be annoyed at the same time!