Foster Care Advice | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Foster Care Advice

Just after some personal experiences from anyone who has fostered children.

We are currently exploring the idea of foster care, however have read a little on respite/emergency foster care as a starting point. We would like to 'test the waters' so to speak before proceeding with longer term foster care arrangements to ensure that we are capable of providing the most loving environment possible for our foster child/ren. Hoping someone has fostered previously and can tell us what to expect? My impression is that older children will more than likely have traumatic experiences and therefore be more difficult to integrate into a new family (which by the way, I think is so understandable) but having two young children ourselves I am apprehensive about the impact on them/what they may be exposed to.

I'd love to hear from anybody who has any personal experiences with foster care, how they started, what the training was like etc?

Thanks xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Following. I'm not in a position to now but would love to when my kids are older

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd love to do respite care at some point- following

Thanks
    Reviews
    Following

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are respite carers. We volunteer though an agency who deals both with kids in foster care and also kids who could do with some time out with a "regular" family.
    We had a girl come to us one weekend a month for nearly 4 years and she became a really special part of our family. Unfortunately when she began to have issues, her social worker failed to support her, her regular foster carer and us, which led to both placements falling apart.
    We have taken a break between placements as we are expecting a baby any time in the next couple of weeks but will definitely do it again. Probably the best place to start is to look into which agency you want to work with and contact them directly and they'll talk you through it. The interview and assessment stage took us 4-5 months for our approval to come through and they asked a lot of very personal questions, but it wasn't too painful really.
    I'd highly recommend it though. Just be aware if you have young children, I have heard that some agencies like any foster children to be younger than your own children. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Following as we have discussed this. We love quite country but we know the neighbouring towns are "screaming for" foster carers and it is something I have thought about in the past.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am a foster parent of two little girls who we will have til long term, as I had my grand daughter living with me at the beginning we put in that we would only have children younger than her (4) as it is natural for younger children to come into the household. I love and enjoy every moment with the children, the only problems we have are dealing with Family SA. IT takes a LOT of patience and everything you say seems to be misconstrued. Until things get better with the organisation and they begin to give Foster parents a bit of respect for what we do I would probably not have gone into Foster care if I knew what I was letting myself into. I had researched the children side of things but it turns out that was the easiest, they just need love.
    It seems that now its like a blackmail, you cannot disagree with Family SA for you fear your children (they do become your children) are removed from your care.