+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Spinoff: birthday party etiquette when planning a joint party

Harvs' post had me thinking... We are doing a joint bday party for my boys. They are turning 3 and 5 (one month apart and 3yr old's bday is practically on my due date, so we kind of don't have a choice about joint party).

Most of the people we will invite will be friends who know both boys and if we had separate parties, they would be invited to both.

But I'll also invite a lot of childcare friends, and the boys are in separate rooms and therefore have different friends.

I don't want people to feel obliged to bring a gift left alone one for each boy. Is there a way to word this on the invite that doesn't sound presumptuous? Or just subtly hints.. Or just have a different invite for each group, so they don't actually know it's joint?

Or should I just not worry about this and leave it up to the parents to do whatever they feel like?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think I would just do a separate invite for each child for the Childcare friends.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post:

Carpe diem 2013  (13-08-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (13-08-2016),TheGooch  (13-08-2016),witherwings  (13-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We have 2 sets of twins in the family and always do separate party invites - a) as they invite different kids and b) they have to share a birthday so it's nice for them to have something on their own ( invites, cake etc) and c) so people don't feel obliged to buy 2 presents ( obviously family and close friends do but it's just easier for school friends)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (13-08-2016)

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I agree! One invite each so it's clear who is being invited.
    In terms of etiquette there's really no polite way to mention gifts on an invitation. Even saying "no gifts" can be considered rude!
    If you don't want people to feel obliged, if they ring before the party for ideas, you could suggest they don't need gifts or suggest something small.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I would do separate invite for their individual daycare friends, and a joint one for family/friends who know both 😊

You're brave - T isn't getting a party this year because Bub won't have had her first lot of jabs so I don't really fancy a thousand 3 year olds around her, but then 5 is a pretty big deal (crazy!!!)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the feedback ladies! I'll do separate invites for childcare!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

Carpe diem 2013  (13-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    I would do separate invite for their individual daycare friends, and a joint one for family/friends who know both

You're brave - T isn't getting a party this year because Bub won't have had her first lot of jabs so I don't really fancy a thousand 3 year olds around her, but then 5 is a pretty big deal (crazy!!!)
    Your Bub is due before T's bday so it is a bit tricky - I would definitely have to rethink my options if Bub was due a month earlier. Could you do an early party for T?

N has been talking about his birthday for months now, so there's no way I could not do one for him, but I could probably get away with not doing one for J.. He wouldn't even know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    With DD and DS we just said presents weren't necessary. People could then choose if they bought for both.
    Last edited by smallpotatoes; 13-08-2016 at 17:52.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBug'sMum View Post
    I think I would just do a separate invite for each child for the Childcare friends.
    This. My son was invited to a joint party...I didn't even know it was joint until we got there. I liked this idea because I don't know the other child. I would have felt awkward if there was another name on the invite. I would have felt obliged to buy another gift.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to moosey For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (14-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    My boys are 4 years and 4 days apart. I gave separate invites and did separate cakes. Theme wise I do a combo of their wants. Last one was a army/fireman theme. Those that got invite for just one boy brought just a gift for him.
    Attached Images

18. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (14-08-2016)