+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Childcare rebates and shared care

I don't post often but read BH lots. I didn't want to post this in the Single Parent section as id like a wide number of perspectives.

Dd will be with her dad next year for 5/14 nights. When I first started her at daycare she was 10 months old and she has been going consistently for 4 days per week. At that point she was having no overnights and so it didn't affect dad where she went to daycare. I also had limited choices as the closest daycare to us gave her spot to someone else & notified me 4 days before she was due to start.

Anyhow, daycare needs to know if dd is having the same days next year. I've let dad know of their request and have said that he will need to set up an account with daycare to pay for the 2 days per fortnight that he has her in his care whilst he works. Obviously as the primary carer, I get the Childcare rebate. FOB has said he won't put her in those days and will cancel every 2nd week of he has to pay the fees. I reminded him that I won't be able to have those 2 days either if he does that. He's made it clear that he doesn't care. He said he will 'make alternative arrangements' which of course I'm not privy too. He is upset that I get the rebate and he doesn't. Can I share the rebate and if so, surely it would need to be assessed on his income for those two days? He earns 4 times as much as I do and will be paying less Child Support which I understand but surely he should have to pay the daycare fees whilst in his care and allow her to have continuity of care and support her in preparing for school (she will be in a preparing for school class with her friends she has had for years)? It seems if I don't agree to pay, I'm stuffed for my own working week. Or I still pay for the 2 days and let him organise his own care knowing dd will miss out. Not sure if my question has been lost in this partial rant but I'm also venting. Thanks for listening

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Could you agree to keep her enrolled in daycare and your ex pays you back your out of pocket expense for the days that she is in daycare when he is with her?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You can get CCR paid to the centre directly, not to either parent. Or do you mean CCB? That's usually a fee discount though isn't it, not a payment? CCR isn't income tested either, but CCB is.

FYI i think you are only allowed to have so many absences from cc per year to remain eligible for CCR (and maybe CCB? Not sure). I think its about 45 days, so if your bub is not there every second week, that may mean they're not eligible for the CCR/CCB. i suggest calling Centrelink.
    Last edited by JustJaq; 13-08-2016 at 13:31.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also would the daycare even hold the spot on the days where your DD will be here only every second week? The daycare centre my DD goes to you have to book set days and pay regardless of whether they go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    Could you agree to keep her enrolled in daycare and your ex pays you back your out of pocket expense for the days that she is in daycare when he is with her?
    Is that legal? I also know he wouldn't give me the money. He's put her in daycare as a 'one off' on a day she doesn't usually go and charged it to my account 👎🏾So I doubt he would pay

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    You can get CCR paid to the centre directly, not to either parent. Or do you mean CCB? That's usually a fee discount though isn't it, not a payment? CCR isn't income tested either, but CCB is.

FYI i think you are only allowed to have so many absences from cc per year to remain eligible for CCR (and maybe CCB? Not sure). I think its about 45 days, so if your bub is not there every second week, that may mean they're not eligible for the CCR/CCB. i suggest calling Centrelink.
    I'm talking about both really but he's mostly annoyed that I also get a discounted rate and that he would have to pay. He doesn't want to pay anything. I didn't consider that there is a maximum number of days that dd can be away!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    Also would the daycare even hold the spot on the days where your DD will be here only every second week? The daycare centre my DD goes to you have to book set days and pay regardless of whether they go.
    Yes. I would still have to pay for the days she isn't there

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Spincycle View Post
    Is that legal? I also know he wouldn't give me the money. He's put her in daycare as a 'one off' on a day she doesn't usually go and charged it to my account 👎🏾So I doubt he would pay
    I'm not sure but if he doesn't pay for the daycare fees you will still have to in order to hold your DDs spot and may loose CCB/CCR if she has 30 absences. So you may be better off just doing that, telling him he can use the daycare spot and hope he gives you some money but if the money doesn't come at least you'll keep the CCR and CCB and know that your DD is being looked after and with her peers. What a crappy situation

Thanks
    Reviews
    If the rebates are paid to the centre it will be a set daily rate that he pays which would be the same as your fees. Just ask that he pays the out of pocket fees to the centre, they will be the same as your fees. There's not a way as far as I know to have two parents assessed for the CCR/CCB for the same child.

Is he actually obliged to pay for child care while she is in her care? I thought CS was intended to cover all of that, and he was to pay for expenses incurred while she's in his care, but I was of the impression those expenses were essential expenses such as food, clothing etc?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Haven't downloaded it, but here's a fact sheet on childcare absences https://docs.education.gov.au/node/3206