+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default swimming lessons

So DD has just finished swimming lessons at school and she didn't do well.
    She's in year two...Nearly 8. She passed level 4 last year but got put back into level 3. She didn't pass level 3.
    Should I be worried about this??

Thanks
    Reviews
    My sister paid for a week of private lessons for her DD last summer, as she struggled to get past a stage (can't remember which sorry). Did her the world of good, mostly a confidence thing, but there's no stopping her now.
    Could be an option?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by loislane2010 View Post
    She's in year two...Nearly 8. She passed level 4 last year but got put back into level 3. She didn't pass level 3.
    Why should you be worried?? I think swimming lessons are more about water safety, having fun, and being confident around water. I don't think you need to worry as long as she enjoys it.
    My DS wasn't doing great at swimming lessons but for me, it was about how much he didn't like it. I changed swimming schools and now he loves it. I'm not worried about the levels, more about him being able to save himself if he falls into a pool.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default swimming lessons

Quote Originally Posted by loislane2010 View Post
    Have you asked her if she is enjoying it? I personally hated swimming in school. I had very low body confidence so I kind of sabotaged the whole thing (not on purpose but that was the end result).

Being able to swim is important for safety skills but not a huge deal if you don't have a perfect stroke or whatever. It's more important for a child to do things they like.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Swimming lessons in school is hard, there are so many kids and it's all condensed. My Son has been in level 2 for about a year at a private swim school. There are some techniques he struggles with, but I know if he fell in the pool he could get himself out of trouble easily as he's picked up other skills from the higher levels they just can't pass him until he 'gets' what he is missing.

I think I only made it to level 5 in school swimming lessons but I'm a very competent swimmer now. The safety and being comfortable in the water is what I feel is most important.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh yeah, she could certainly survive if she fell in or something. I dont think shes going to be an olympic swimmer. I was just a bit worried cos some kids in her class are up to level 5-7 now. As far as i can tell she enjoys it and loves the beach in summer.
    Thanks for your replies.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to loislane2010 For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (13-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was always in the bottom levels at school swimming. I just didnt enjoy it.
    Where my dd goes they always emphasize that as long as they can get themselves to the edge and not panic then thats the main thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I failed swimming lessons every year in primary school
    I was perfectly confident in the water, could easily get myself across the pool, knew how to not drown and all, I was just too uncoordinated to do any of the strokes properly so would always fail.
    As long as she's safe and capable and happy in the water I wouldn't worry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It depends on what you want for your kids as swimmers.

I only ever did school lessons and, despite loving it initially and having natural buoyancy, by grade 2 I was going backwards and my swimming confidence was shattered. I hate that I didn't learn to swim well as a kid and even went back for lessons as an adult.

DH surfs as well and we'd love the kids to learn. So we want our kids to be highly competent swimmers, which means years of weekly lessons. To us, they are worth every dollar, but if you have different expectations then it may not be worthwhile.

Additionally, both our kids love lessons AND recreational swimming. If they hated lessons then we may have a different attitude.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Wise Enough  (13-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If she isn't constantly learning it's possible she will always regress, the key is to have lessons consistently.