+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 68
  1. #51
    rainbow road's Avatar
    rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    in a glass case of emotion
    Posts
    12,408
    Thanks
    1,187
    Thanked
    8,051
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Also - agnostic to me is believing in a higher power but not following any organised set of religious traditions.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,879
    Thanks
    351
    Thanked
    1,435
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just wanted to say I am enjoying reading everyone's replies as it shows how different everyone's beliefs are. A lot of replies also show how beliefs change over time and it gives me great comfort in my choice not to force my children into any one religion and let them grow up figuring out what they believe for themselves. DH is a atheist who will argue and scoff whenever God or religion is mentioned which annoys me because I do have some faith and beliefs and I sometimes worry how he would react if one of our children ever wanted to go church.

  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to loodle For This Useful Post:

    HillDweller  (13-08-2016),Tiny Dancer  (13-08-2016),witherwings  (13-08-2016)

  4. #53
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,089
    Thanks
    1,285
    Thanked
    1,181
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just checked the Dawkins scale. I would say I'm a 6

  5. #54
    rainbow road's Avatar
    rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    in a glass case of emotion
    Posts
    12,408
    Thanks
    1,187
    Thanked
    8,051
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loodle View Post
    Just wanted to say I am enjoying reading everyone's replies as it shows how different everyone's beliefs are. A lot of replies also show how beliefs change over time and it gives me great comfort in my choice not to force my children into any one religion and let them grow up figuring out what they believe for themselves. DH is a atheist who will argue and scoff whenever God or religion is mentioned which annoys me because I do have some faith and beliefs and I sometimes worry how he would react if one of our children ever wanted to go church.
    Interesting point. When I was in high school (Anglican school) I got quite into Christianity... My mum particularly took the Mickey out of me constantly and although ultimately it was not a path I ended up following, her response was pretty awful and I remember very clearly feeling like I had to hide in my room if I was reading a Christian book or whatever else. I want my kids to feel free to choose whatever they feel is right for them without feeling like I did!

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

    Bel0v3d  (13-08-2016)

  7. #55
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    572
    Thanks
    272
    Thanked
    336
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I always thought agnostic means that it's impossible to know whether a God exists. You therefore don't believe but only because nothing has been proven.

    I used to think I might be agnostic because a higher power can neither be proved or disproved. But no, definitely an atheist.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to A&S For This Useful Post:

    Ollivanders  (13-08-2016)

  9. #56
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,376
    Thanks
    774
    Thanked
    1,772
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That's sad @rainbow road. I think it's really important to think carefully about how we talk to our kids about religion. If a parent tells their kids that religion is stupid, or religious people are stupid, it is all fairytales, and only stupid people believe it, their kids will go to school and tell the christian kid 'you are stupid. You believe in fairytales'. I know, because I was the christian kid. Respectful language is really really important IMO.

  10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

    A&S  (13-08-2016),Bel0v3d  (13-08-2016),HillDweller  (13-08-2016),Tiny Dancer  (13-08-2016),witherwings  (13-08-2016)

  11. #57
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    161
    Thanks
    217
    Thanked
    108
    Reviews
    3

    Default Tell me about your religious beliefs/faith

    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    That's sad @rainbow road. I think it's really important to think carefully about how we talk to our kids about religion. If a parent tells their kids that religion is stupid, or religious people are stupid, it is all fairytales, and only stupid people believe it, their kids will go to school and tell the christian kid 'you are stupid. You believe in fairytales'. I know, because I was the christian kid. Respectful language is really really important IMO.
    Deleted because it came out wrong.
    Last edited by rusty22; 13-08-2016 at 09:44.

  12. #58
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    572
    Thanks
    272
    Thanked
    336
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    That's sad @rainbow road. I think it's really important to think carefully about how we talk to our kids about religion. If a parent tells their kids that religion is stupid, or religious people are stupid, it is all fairytales, and only stupid people believe it, their kids will go to school and tell the christian kid 'you are stupid. You believe in fairytales'. I know, because I was the christian kid. Respectful language is really really important IMO.
    Definitely agree. I think it's important we all start having kinder conversations about people with our kids. I would love it if families were having those conversations about gays, people of differing colour to your own, people from other cultures and countries who need help because they're not as lucky as we are. The best way to make a nicer world for our kids is to start from home and hope our kids continue to spread it outward.

  13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to A&S For This Useful Post:

    babyno1onboard  (13-08-2016),cheeeeesecake  (13-08-2016),HillDweller  (13-08-2016),Tiny Dancer  (13-08-2016)

  14. #59
    TheGooch's Avatar
    TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    4,788
    Thanks
    8,036
    Thanked
    4,139
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm an atheist. Raised by a scientist mother and an Anglican father.
    I didn't go to religious education in primary school (state school) and instead went to the library with the JW kids.
    Sometimes throughout my life I've wished I had a belief set rather than nothing. I've seen how faith has helped members of my family during illness or death.
    I've also got a few friends with strong beliefs, especially single guys in their thirties and young couples. One in particular never worries about anything. His water tank is nearly empty - he won't buy water because he believes the big guy is on his side. He finishes a job contract, doesn't worry. It seems quite peaceful and I'm a bit jealous of that! Haha I've asked him how he knows and he says he just does. That too many things that he prays for come through.
    I don't know.
    Having said that we're considering sending DS to the local Catholic schools when he's old enough and I'm not sure how I'm going to go with that.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

    Tiny Dancer  (13-08-2016)

  16. #60
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,376
    Thanks
    774
    Thanked
    1,772
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A&S View Post
    Definitely agree. I think it's important we all start having kinder conversations about people with our kids. I would love it if families were having those conversations about gays, people of differing colour to your own, people from other cultures and countries who need help because they're not as lucky as we are. The best way to make a nicer world for our kids is to start from home and hope our kids continue to spread it outward.
    Yes!


 

Similar Threads

  1. *spinoff* Your beliefs and your children
    By atomicmama in forum Religion / Spirituality Discussion & Debate
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-02-2016, 19:53

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Pebblebee
Parents spend hours looking for things they need NOW. The keys, the remote, darling daughter's treasured teddy. Stop wasting precious time looking & start finding with Bub Hub reviewed Pebblebee Smart Tag. Simply attach a Pebblebee and find it fast.
sales & new stuffsee all
Wendys Music School Melbourne
Wondering about Music Lessons? FREE 30 minute ASSESSMENT. Find out if your child is ready! Piano from age 3 years & Guitar, Singing, Drums, Violin from age 5. Lessons available for all ages. 35+ years experience. Structured program.
Use referral 'bubhub' when booking
featured supporter
The MAMA Centre
Pregnancy, birth & beyond care with your very own midwife. Home & hospital birth support, VBACs, antenatal & postnatal care by medicare eligible midwives & holistic health practitioners. Massage, chiro, naturopathy, yoga, counselling & beauty therapy
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!