+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I'm atheist, so is DH. We'd be a 6 on the Dawkins' scale.
    I take no issue with religious people but happy to engage in constructive debate on the ideologies/doctrines, especially those of the Abrahamic religions.
    I don't believe having faith is a virtue as "faith" is (by definition) belief without evidence and I would assert this is not something to be encouraged. Beliefs should be based on evidence, not because you want it to be true.
    I take big issue with religious institutions that yield political power or assume authority over political or social issues. I also take issue with people selling me their religion at my front door. Just last month I asked 2 JWs at my front door how they feel about worshipping a deity that stands idle whilst children starve to death and/or are being tortured at a rate of hundreds per day. They said they would think about it and come back with some answers. I take issue with religious institutions asserting control over women's reproduction which results in their enslavement into poverty. I take issue with religious institutions claiming a womans' worth lies in her intact hymen, that women should dress a way so as to not encourage sexual thoughts from men, that LGBTI people are unnatural/abominations and so many other issues.

I especially take issue with religious institutions denying established science and expecting equal respect or value in beliefs that have long since been proven false yet they wish to have their iron age/dark age beliefs taught as fact in schools.

DH and I recently went to a Brian Cox lecture where he showed fly-through images of galaxies. It was jaw-droppingly amazing. I don't understand how people believe that there is a deity that of all the billions and billions of galaxies out there this deity sat around for 4(ish) billion years then decided to pick this one planet among the billions to populate.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

A&S  (16-08-2016),delirium  (12-08-2016),HillDweller  (12-08-2016),Moxy  (12-08-2016),rusty22  (13-08-2016),Sariele  (12-08-2016),Tiny Dancer  (13-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default Tell me about your religious beliefs/faith

Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    Beliefs should be based on evidence, not because you want it to be true.
    The OP didn't want this to turn into a debate so I'm going to turn a blind eye to many of your comments, but I am interested to hear more about this in particular, to get a better idea of where you're coming from with this point. I'm genuinely interested in why you believe this.
    Last edited by A-Squared; 12-08-2016 at 22:28.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I looked at the Dawkins scale and at this stage in my life I'm a 7.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would be a 6 also

Thanks
    Reviews

@Busy-Bee

I'm going to get very biblical now and point out that when God tested Abraham's devotion to him and ordered him to sacrifice his beloved son Isaac, he required a leap of faith. This is the foundation of what belief is. I.e. Having no evidence is pretty much a prerequisite to having faith.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

Beljane  (15-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    So tell me about your religious or spiritual beliefs of faith. I want to know what they are, how it influences you and your life, what does it bring you, how it became a part of your life. I know it's a lot. Maybe a brief summary of what you feel are the important parts?

If you are agnostic or atheist, would love to hear from you too!
    I'm Jewish but I'm not religious. I don't think of Judaism as purely a religion but more of an ethnic group with a distinct culture and traditions, a nationality in a way.

I was born in Israel but grew up in Australia (since the age of 5, so very "Australian"). My parents were not religious (father is atheist), but we still did a lot of traditional things, Passover, Purim, Shabbat, Hanukkah. We spoke Hebrew at home and we went to Jewish primary school for a time..

I didn't get involved in the Jewish community until I finished university and decided I wanted to meet other people with similar backgrounds. I started attending synagogue, was "adopted" into an orthodox family that hosted me every Friday night for dinner, learned a lot about Judaism, the Torah, prayers, kashrut.. But I felt like an absolute phoney, because deep down inside, I just couldn't reconcile what I knew in my mind from 20-something years of being raised to not believe in God, and what I was exposed to in the community. It was hard. Then I met my husband-to-be who is also Jewish but also feels exactly the same way I do. Together we have a lot of Jewish friends who also are not religious.

I would say that as far as beliefs go, I'm an atheist, But I feel a very deep connection to the Jewish community, the religion, the culture and my ancestors.

I want to teach my kids about all of that, but I would never tell them that God created Adam and Eve (for example). I wouldn't stop them from coming to their own conclusions, but not before making them learn about evolution lol

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (12-08-2016),babyno1onboard  (13-08-2016),Moxy  (13-08-2016),Tiny Dancer  (13-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Completing the Dawkins scale, it looks like I am pure agnostic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    What are people's understanding of 'agnostic'? I always considered them fence-sitters - not sure either way, which is Dawkin's definition. But I was told a while back that agnostics actually do believe there is 'something' but not much else. They don't go to church or have any strong beliefs.

Which one is correct?

Thanks
    Reviews

I take agnostic to mean that you believe in *something* but it's undefined.

ETA - "something" being a higher power/God, but not following a structured set of beliefs.

Could be completely wrong but that's what I've always taken it to mean.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm the same as witherwings. Culturally Jewish - we do Shabbat at family dinners and do things for Chanukkah and rosh hashana but I would say I'm probably a 6 on Dawkins' scale.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

Tiny Dancer  (13-08-2016),witherwings  (13-08-2016)