+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tell me about your religious beliefs/faith

Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Dawkins talks about levels of atheism. Let me see if I can find it...
    It's a scale of 1-7 with 1 being "strong theist" (100% probability of God) and 7 being strong atheist (I know there is no God).

ETA - I'm a 6 "very low probability, but short of zero. De facto atheist. 'I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable, and I live my life on the assumption that he is not there'"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I'm a 6 too.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Ah The God Delusion is what broke my heart and caused me to really believe that I couldn't believe! I didn't think of it as agnostic in the slightest!
    @Moxy you're so right - perhaps this is what I can aspire to. I remember Ricky Gervais once said that he thought if we could all be guaranteed that (accidents aside) we would all just die peacefully in our sleep then dying wouldn't be so scary. I'm still not convinced 😳

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

rusty22  (12-08-2016),Tiny Dancer  (12-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    Ah The God Delusion is what broke my heart and caused me to really believe that I couldn't believe! I didn't think of it as agnostic in the slightest!
    @Moxy you're so right - perhaps this is what I can aspire to. I remember Ricky Gervais once said that he thought if we could all be guaranteed that (accidents aside) we would all just die peacefully in our sleep then dying wouldn't be so scary. I'm still not convinced 😳
    I agree with him. I fear pain but not death. I have this vague notion that it would be like going under anaesthetic. You kind of know but mostly have no idea. I fear a painful death becauseI fear pain, not death. Death is the start of nothingness IMO. I can't fear what I can't experience. At least that's how I see it.
    Last edited by Moxy; 12-08-2016 at 19:37.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am religious, I am a christian and believe in God. I also believe in reason, logic & science. I respect and admire all beliefs, no matter how different they are to my own. I believe faith is a journey and is personal thing; I would never push my beliefs on others. I believe God can never be proven, that's why it is 'faith'.

I believe Australians in general are completely unable to respect the beliefs of others. On bubhub alone, I have been called a myriad of names including stupid and unintelligent because I believe in 'fairytales'. I hope for a world one day where all beliefs (or lack thereof) can live in harmony & our kids will not treat each other with the same level of disrespect that their parents do based on their beliefs. I hope for a world where my kids are not bullied, teased and taunted for going to church on the weekend.

I have friends who are buddhist, hindu, sikh, agnostic, athiest and catholic, and I love hearing about their beliefs and celebrating with them. I don't think that I am 'right' or they are 'wrong', just different.

ETA - @harvs I don't think I believe in hell personally. As in, not a fire and brimstone eternal torture where souls live in torment. I think I brlieve that after death, there is heaven, or there is nothing. The 'nothing' to me is 'hell' - the absence of heaven and thr fact that this life is all there is, and there is no afterlife is my idea of 'hell'. But honestly, I'm not completely sure what I believe about afterlife in general.
    Last edited by cheeeeesecake; 12-08-2016 at 19:56.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (12-08-2016),babyno1onboard  (12-08-2016),Beljane  (12-08-2016),BornToBe  (13-08-2016),gingermillie  (12-08-2016),Tiny Dancer  (12-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm not religious - about a 6 on the scale that Delirium described.

I think religion itself is fine and has some positive outcomes. I think it can give people purpose and direction who would otherwise be lost. I think it can bring people together and provide a sense of community.

I dislike the way that religion can be used to scare and intimidate people, used in the name of violence and hatred, etc.

I also dislike the attitude that *some* religious people have - they think being religious makes them a good person no matter what crap they do. Being a good person makes you a good person, not praying or going to church. An extreme example - I worked in a community where people were burned at the stake as witches, but never on a Sunday because that was church day and it would anger God. I mean FFS.
    Last edited by babyno1onboard; 12-08-2016 at 20:09.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Sariele  (12-08-2016),Tiny Dancer  (12-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm atheist and so is dh. I come from a catholic family but my parents weren't really that into it. Mum questions her belief because of what we've been through and what we've seen. I don't think there's a high and mighty the worlds too screwed for that. Haha each to their own. I never push my
    Opinion on others except of SIL. Who is a dumb blonde that follows what ever her bf is doing at the time haha. She thinks she's very religious now and post endless quotes on fb and Insta.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Reneeharry For This Useful Post:

Tiny Dancer  (13-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    "Raised" a Catholic- as in did the sacraments but we never went to church or anything.
    Went to a Catholic primary and secondary school.

I'm kinda 'meh' about it. It's not that I don't believe, but I don't have enough belief... hard to explain.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    My family are pagan. There's a huge range of beliefs and belief systems within that umbrella though. We have some who are spiritualists, some Wiccan, some define themselves as a 'follower of the old ways', some Druids, shamanism etc so growing up I was exposed to all of those different things.

I sat somewhere in the middle of it all, picking and choosing what I believed to form my own belief system so I have no defined 'religion' per se. I believe in a spirit world and a source of energy we all come from but no gods or goddesses other than just as symbols meant to represent something. Like all pagans, I definitely don't believe in a hell or a devil. Our belief system is structured on personal responsibility for your own actions - no god to judge you, just the type of energy you put out (good or bad) coming back to you.

DH was raised in a fairly strict baptist household. I'm not the type to try and convert someone away from their religion, I'm a bit more 'whatever floats your boat' about it. I completely acknowledge a whole lot of the pagan ways I was raised with make zero sense too. I only have a problem with other people's religious beliefs when they attempt to force them on other people. Oh, and I think religion has no place in politics.

After DH and I got together we had so many conversations just about what each other believed, our different upbringings and what we took away from our 'religions'. Over the last few years he has rejected his upbringing and religion in a big way and decided he'd rather follow a pagan path too. I actually now have to remind him not to belittle other people's beliefs just because he's changed his and not to rant about Christianity. Good grief, sometimes he reminds me of a reformed smoker or something.

We read tarot, runes, use pendulums and even some small rituals at special times at home. We'll have a pagan naming ceremony for our daughter when she's born. But DH is a much bigger believer in these things than I am now. I do them for a bit of fun and take it with a grain of salt, he's much more likely to take it all at face value and absolute truth.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to HillDweller For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Dawkins talks about levels of atheism. Let me see if I can find it...

http://bigthink.com/think-tank/atheism-easter-atheister
    I'm between a 2 and a three in this scale.

I was baptised Greek Orhodox but when I was 7 I became Catholic and started at a Catholic Primary School. For those next 5 years we went to church every weekend. That tapered of once we went to high school (Catholic) and we only went for Christmas and Easter.

I haven't baptised my kids for 2 reasons. 1. I feel like I would be a hypocrite if I wasn't planning on taking them to church (plus I wouldn't enjoy taking them) and 2. I don't agree with a lot of what the Catholic Church teaches eg not using stem cells for medical research, not using contraception, s*x only being for procreation, blanket no abortion rule (I believe in a woman's right to choose but I feel that there's probably too many women who use it more as a contraception, it's free but you have to pay for the pill and other contraception - but that's another conversation for another day), don't believe in gay relationships or gay marriage.

So the Catholic Church is just not for me.

I do however believe in Jesus and God and Heaven. So I'm probably more spiritual than religious. Without my faith, I would fear death, I would have had a much harder time before my mum went in for brain surgery on Tuesday. I like the idea that when people pass their souls still live on in heaven. I believe as I want to and need to believe that's true. I too don't believe in hell I just believe that truly evil people also don't go to heaven - think rapists and murderers etc.)

So kind of like star signs, I have picked and chosen the religious beliefs that I feel comfortable with and leave the others behind that don't sit well with me. I'm definitely not one to follow a religion or faith in its entirety, I think everyone should be able to think for themselves and decide what they agree with and what they don't.

I only have a problem with religions who shame their members who don't follow everything to the tee, or religious people who kill in the name of their religion.

Oh and not keen on anyone who tries to talk people into their way, atheist or religious.
    Last edited by A-Squared; 12-08-2016 at 21:58.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast