+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Tell me about your religious beliefs/faith

I got into a debate with my friend's hubby the other day, who is strongly atheist, and seems to want to go out of his way to prove all the world's religions and people's faith as wrong/faulty. Now, I am still kind of undecided. It made it really hard for me to argue my point that he should give it up (I think it's kinda cruel to want to bring people down on something so important to people, and also that it doesn't matter what he says because it's someone's *faith*).

So tell me about your religious or spiritual beliefs of faith. I want to know what they are, how it influences you and your life, what does it bring you, how it became a part of your life. I know it's a lot. Maybe a brief summary of what you feel are the important parts?

If you are agnostic or atheist, would love to hear from you too!

Please note: I really don't want people to tear apart people's religions or beliefs and if I think that it's starting to happen I'll ask for the thread to be closed.

Edited for spelling.
    Last edited by Tiny Dancer; 12-08-2016 at 15:22.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am very strongly atheist. I was raised in the uniting church, although I stopped attending completely as a teenager. However it took until I was an adult to fully realise that I had actually NEVER truly believed in God (or God/s of any kind). Reflecting back on my childhood, I used to feel like a bit of an idiot when I prayed, as I always felt like I was talking to no one! It was the most liberating thing for me to finally let the idea of religion go, and to fully embrace science and reason as the only truth in this universe. The worst thing about being an atheist for me is getting very frustrated over people who are so blinded by religion and faith that they just can't see reason (in general, or over specific issues). That stuff does make me very angry.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sariele For This Useful Post:

A&S  (12-08-2016),rusty22  (12-08-2016),Tiny Dancer  (12-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Tell me about your religious beliefs/faith

I find it funny when atheists try pull apart people's beliefs, they will never "get" it as they don't believe but there are many smart/clever/educated people in the world who do and you just can't pick apart someone's faith as faith isn't logical and atheists just don't get it

I used to be like that in my 20,s , studied all religions and had debates with people because I just never understood it but then you release religion is bigger than just facts and books

I'm not religious ( technically Jewish and went to an Anglican school for 12 years) but I admire the faith a lot of religious people have ( no I don't always understand it and a Rabbi told me once I admire it because I don't have it ) I don't get Christianity at all ( especially Catholicism) but again I think it's because I look at it too analytically , I believe in a "g-d" ( not sure he fits an organised religion type though) and I do pray every night but it's more of a thankful prayer not a religious one and I love the Jewish traditions and bible stories

I think religion is very personal which is why you will never "win" a religious debate or war for that matter as its just too powerful of a belief

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (12-08-2016),Tiny Dancer  (12-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm trying really hard to be a more accepting person but it does frustrate me no end when people go on about how their god is better than the next guys god.

I'm an atheist and I'm thankful for it. Religion has made a mess of this world and it really saddens me.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to A&S For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (12-08-2016),Sariele  (12-08-2016),Tiny Dancer  (12-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sariele View Post
    I am very strongly atheist. I was raised in the uniting church, although I stopped attending completely as a teenager. However it took until I was an adult to fully realise that I had actually NEVER truly believed in God (or God/s of any kind). Reflecting back on my childhood, I used to feel like a bit of an idiot when I prayed, as I always felt like I was talking to no one! It was the most liberating thing for me to finally let the idea of religion go, and to fully embrace science and reason as the only truth in this universe. The worst thing about being an atheist for me is getting very frustrated over people who are so blinded by religion and faith that they just can't see reason (in general, or over specific issues). That stuff does make me very angry.
    This is me almost word for word except I was brought up Catholic. I don't have anything else to add though, this post sums me and my thoughts to a tee.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

A&S  (12-08-2016),Sariele  (12-08-2016),Tiny Dancer  (12-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think we are all just a computer simulation created by an advanced civilisation for some unknown purpose.

Technically I'm Catholic tho.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (12-08-2016),AppleIsleSMum  (12-08-2016),Tiny Dancer  (12-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wasn't baptised or anything like that and my parents were not and aren't religious church goers by any means. I was raised to find my own beliefs and I guess that's what I have done, there are bits from every religion I agree with and there are bits I strongly disagree with. Do I think there is a god? Jury is still out but I lean more towards the belief of there is.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loodle For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (12-08-2016),Tiny Dancer  (12-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm an atheist and have never had any affiliation with a religion. I'm very thankful that I was brought up free from indoctrination. I have no issue with individuals who have faith or beliefs in certain things but I take major issue with some religious institutions, their power and the disgusting things they get away with because of their privileged position.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rusty22 For This Useful Post:

A&S  (12-08-2016),babyno1onboard  (12-08-2016),Sariele  (12-08-2016),spotsmum  (12-08-2016),Tiny Dancer  (12-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is a topic I've been grappling with for some time now, and it's getting more and more relevant to me the longer I am on this TTC/IVF journey.

I'll preface this by saying that one thing I do believe is that everyone has a right to their religious beliefs. It is not up to me to dismiss or question something that brings others comfort when they need it.

Myself, I was baptised Catholic, went to a Catholic school, and had the God beaten out of me as a result. I left school with a firm belief that (for me) there was no God, and I was not going to be a religious person, ever.

My Mother always said "When you have kids you'll feel different." Now...I don't have any kids yet but I am starting to question how I think about these things. I am still quite firmly in the "There is no God" camp BUT in saying that, in times of emotional distress, or when my friends are suffering, I do 'pray', for want of a better word. I send positive thoughts out to the universe. I wish with all my being that things will get better for me/them. And I hope like hell that the baby I miscarried went somewhere nice.

I struggle with what all of that means to/for me now. Does that make me religious? I'm not 'praying' to anyone in particular. I don't believe in heaven and hell per se. But I do think we, as humans, do not cease to simply exist. We are energy, we must go somewhere?

As you can see, I find the whole thing confusing. I listen to Vision Christian radio fairly regularly, and I find some of the talk-back subjects interesting. There is also a solid chunk of it that is so 'full-on' that I think "What a crock!"

I believe in trying to be a good person. I believe in helping others. Anything more than that...well....I'm just not sure.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Blossom74 For This Useful Post:

Tiny Dancer  (12-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are Catholic. The kids go to Catholic school and we attend church when we can. Its certainly not defining - but our religion is part of our life.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Raising Leprechauns For This Useful Post:

Tiny Dancer  (12-08-2016)