+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Not a teacher, but a parent of a child with SN who struggles in reading and still guesses words by looking at the first letter.

A speech pathologist put me onto the Fitzroy readers:
    http://www.fitzprog.com.au/English/F...5/catmenu.aspx

The are phonetics based and each book introduces a new sound.

I was told

1. to steer clear of the 'x' series, and just to stick with the regular books.
    2. when they can read the level 20 book, they are competent enough to branch out to chapter books.

I have found the Fitzroy readers are available at my local library.

Failing that, I've always found the Aussie Nibbles books great first chapter books. Some are easier than others, so it may pay to scan through them first. They are readily available at libraries.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BB77 View Post
    PS library books are great, but they're not structured in the same way as readers. Readers are written in a way that allows your child to try different reading strategies.
    Most public libraries stock readers. The children's librarian will be able to help find the ones at the level you want.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My local library has readers too

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Will a retired teacher do?

SPELD offers advice and assistance to teachers and parents. Look up their web site and you can ask them for advice.
    Their web site recommends a phonics based approach such as the Fitzroy Readers. The Fitzroy readers are a bit boring but really work. The kids love them because they quickly gain confidence and skill. You can access them on line or use the public libraries.
    I used this series as the base readers for children struggling in Years 2 to 6 with 100% success. I trained the parents and oversaw progress, ensuring that each book was read fluently before moving on.

It is important to rebuild confidence.
    Find really easy books when introducing a wider range of reading material.
    Julia Donaldson, author of The Gruffulo and many other delightful stories, has written lots of school readers for UK schools. They can be bought in volumes of 6 to 13 stories and are highly entertaining. Andy Griffith and Terry Denton have written a series of easy readers too. Not as good as the Julia Donaldson but good fun.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Fitzroy Readers have already mentioned and they're great although the illustrations/stories are a bit outdated so I found some students would zone out. Dandelion Readers can be great for some of the children who guess at words rather than sound them out, but I definitely prefer PMs.

I know you've said communication isn't the school's strong point, but if you're unsatisfied with what's going on I'd be sending email requests and continue to escalate it. It's not that time consuming for someone to go to the library/reading room and grab some extra books.

Alternatively, could you possibly continue with Reading Eggs but sit with him and choose the readers rather than the games? It would be a lot less expensive for you and they're of decent quality.